Windows 10: Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer?

Discus and support Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Microsoft people, I intend to give a summary of the causes and various solutions to Windows 10 Users who do not like having multiple OneDrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by W. Carter, Dec 29, 2018.

1. W. Carter Win User

Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer?

Microsoft people,

I intend to give a summary of the causes and various solutions to Windows 10 Users who do not like having multiple OneDrive Folders & or icons. I was not able to find a decent answer in Microsoft Community even though the web shows some. I could have used the link but that would really defeat the purpose for using the Community site. The following article is fairly complete. I don't believe it has all the reasons, for example. In a couple instances, I accidentally signed in to OneDrive and used a different sign in (storage location)) because of a redundant system message stating "Please sign in to OneDrive". Dumb message, I already had a OneDrive but when I attempted to sign in it wouldn't let me until I changed the location. I can't recall where this message originated from, either the "Notification area", AKA system tray /start-ups or from the "AllApps" menu, "File Explorer", Task-bar ...

In other words, do not sign in to multiple locations. If you must sign in and it won't let you unless you change the storage location, "SIGN IN ELSEWHERE". Some are listed above but you can add the browser version, the OneDrive/File Explorer app, if you have it, it will show in "Allapps" as a folder w/ a cloud icon. There is also the OneDrive app. the list! I believe this bug has been removed. Last thing before I let you get to it, you probably need to copy and paste all the files and individual items into a non-cloud folder. as well as sign out of your One Drive. Remember there are a pathway links to the ones that show the same items, so choose or combine the correct methods. Don't worry you backed it up, right? Oh, if you have multiple computers, I'd sign out there too, it couldn't hurt,

Note:

a.) I had 6 OneDrives showing in File Explore and 1 was different!. Also, when you copy items, make sure you don't include OneDrive or you'll end up with the same issue again

b.) When backing up your OneDrive, just copy the contents, not the OneDrive.

In most instances, multiple OneDrive are just a cosmetic issue. Here are 3 variations / scenarios:

1. Both the folders have the same exact data and sync correctly. This means that the problem is only limited to what the Windows Explorer is showing. But it can still cause confusion in the future especially if the syncing stops for one folder
    2. Both folders have different data. This is obviously a problem since you want your data to be at a single place.
    3. Both folders have different data and your apps store data in the older folder rather than the newer one.

The problem basically occurs because of the Windows upgrade and drive name. If your drive was named SkyDrive in your previous Windows then upgrading to Windows 10 (where it is named OneDrive) causes this issue. Since the SkyDrive and OneDrive names are different, your system treats them differently and hence the 2 separate folders. This also is the reason for different data because some apps might still be set to store data in the older folder. If both of the drives have the same data and syncs correctly then it is mainly because of the issue with the Windows 10 and its upgrade.

Whatever is the reason or the case, there are plenty of methods mentioned below so follow them one by one until your problem is solved.

Note: It is advised to perform a backup of your data that is in OneDrive folders just to make sure no data loss occur.

Method 1: Unlinking and Linking the OneDrive

If you unlink the OneDrive and then re-Link it back then the problem might be solved. Follow the steps given below to unlink and re-link the OneDrive

1. Right click your OneDrive icon in the system tray (right bottom corner). If you can’t see it then you might have to click the upward arrow button and it will show up.
    2. Select Settings
      Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? onedrive-multiple-icons-1.png
    3. Select Account tab
    4. Click Unlink this PC
      Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? onedrive-multiple-icons-2-1.png
    5. Click Unlink account

Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? onedrive-multiple-icons-3.png

Now restart your computer and check if the issue is still there or not.

Method 2: Reset OneDrive

Resetting OneDrive also solves the problem if the second instance is just showing in the File Explorer without any back link.

1. Hold Windows key and press R
    2. Type %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset and press Enter

Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? onedrive-multiple-icons-4.png

Now check your system tray (right bottom corner) and you should be able to see OneDrive icon disappear and reappear after a couple of minutes.

If it doesn’t, you can restart the OneDrive yourself.

2. Type %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe and press Enter

Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? onedrive-multiple-icons-5.png

This should start the OneDrive again. Once it is started check if the extra instance is gone or not.

Method 3: Switching Accounts

Switching from a Microsoft’s Account to a local account and switching back again to the Microsoft Account solves the problem. This is so because this process completely refreshes the OneDrive service which sometimes removes the extra instance of OneDrive

PRO TIP: If the issue is with your computer or a laptop/notebook you should try using Reimage Plus which can scan the repositories and replace corrupt and missing files. This works in most cases, where the issue is originated due to a system corruption. You can download Reimage by Clicking Here

1. Press Windows Key once
    2. Select Settings
    3. Click Accounts
      Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? onedrive-multiple-icons-6.png
    4. Click Sign in with a local account instead
      Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? sign-in-with-a-local-account-instead.png
    5. Enter the password of your current Microsoft account
    6. Type in your username and password.
    7. Click Next

Repeat the above steps with your local account and select Sign in with a Microsoft account instead in step 4 to switch back to Microsoft Account.

Once you are done, check if the extra instance of OneDrive is gone or not.

Method 4: Using Registry Editor

You can also use Registry Editor to delete the registry of the extra OneDrive. This seems to work for most of the users.

1. Hold Windows key and press E
    2. Check which one of the OneDrive instance contains your latest data and sync with it. Meaning which one is extra that you need to delete.
    3. Right click the OneDrive folder that contains your data and rename it to whatever you want. Also, backup your data to prevent data loss
    4. Hold Windows key and press R
    5. Type regedit.exe and press Enter
    6. Go to this location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace If you don’t know how to navigate then follow the steps given below
      1. Double click HKEY_CURRENT_USER (from the left pane)
      2. Double click SOFTWARE (from the left pane)
      3. Double click Microsoft (from the left pane)
      4. Double click Windows (from the left pane)
      5. Double click CurrentVersion (from the left pane)
      6. Double click Explorer (from the left pane)
      7. Double click Desktop (from the left pane)
      8. Double click Namespace (from the left pane)
        Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? 2017-04-24_022634.png
        Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? onedrive-multiple-icons-9.png
        Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? onedrive-multiple-icons-10.png
    7. Locate the folders that has OneDrive entry in it (from the left pane). You can click the folders one by one and look at the right pane to see the name of the registry. It should say OneDrive.
    8. Right click the OneDrive entry then select Delete

This should remove the extra instance folder showing up in the Windows Explorer. If it doesn’t work then restart the computer and then check.

Method 5: Using Registry Editor (Alternative)

This isn’t a solution but more of a hack to hide the extra OneDrive instance. This is suitable for people whose OneDrive instances properly sync and have the same data and can’t get rid of the extra folder for some reason. This solution will simply hide the extra folder and not purely remove it.

2. Type regedit.exe and press Enter
    3. Go to this location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace If you don’t know how to navigate then follow the steps given below
      1. Double click HKEY_CURRENT_USER (from the left pane)
      2. Double click SOFTWARE (from the left pane)
      3. Double click Microsoft (from the left pane)
      4. Double click Windows (from the left pane)
      5. Double click CurrentVersion (from the left pane)
      6. Double click Explorer (from the left pane)
      7. Double click Desktop (from the left pane)
      8. Double click Namespace (from the left pane)
    4. Locate the folders that has OneDrive entry in it (from the left pane). You can click the folders one by one and look at the right pane to see the name of the registry. It should say OneDrive. Copy or note the name of this folder somewhere
    5. Now navigate to this path HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\ by double clicking HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and then double clicking CLSID folder
    6. Locate the folder with the same name as that of OneDrive folder (that you noted in step 4).
    7. Click the folder
    8. Double click the entry (right pane) named System.IsPinnedtoNameSpaceTree
      Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? onedrive-multiple-icons-11.png
    9. Make its value 0 and click Ok

This should hide the folder. If you want to reshow the folder again then just repeat all the above steps and make this value 1 again.

Thanks,

William

r.e.t.r.a.c.

:)

W. Carter, Dec 29, 2018

2. Random folders appearing to my new hard drive

Options > Scan options

Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? untitled-png.png

Then after that, enable options > hide virustotal.com clean entries ... only suspicious stuff will remain.
    Check the complete list on the Everything tab, it may not be explorer extension listed on that tab.

It may be something stupidly simple like onedrive/skydrive being setup to sync folders that are being dumped remotely.

BiggieShady, Dec 29, 2018
  3. Atom1 Win User
    File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders

Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? [​IMG]

This is my file explorer tree. First question is, why is there a public folder under the PC name, and another one under Users. I think this was the same in Win 7. They are the same folder. It's confusing to have multiple public folders. Can I just delete Users\public?

Also note I have multiple Documents folders under PC name. How does this come about, and what can I do about it?

Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? [​IMG]

Similar problem on another computer. This was a Win 10 install over Win 7. Now I have two public folders.

Atom1, Dec 29, 2018
  4. Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer?

Music Folder Behaving Badly in OneDrive

Hi Robert,

There is a possibility that the Music folder is synced to your OneDrive that is why any files deleted from either of the folders is synced to the other. For us to better assist you with the said folder, we'd like to ask for additional information:

• Can you please provide a screenshot of the Music folder from the OneDrive folder and home folder?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you were advised to do?
    We will wait for your quick response.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 29, 2018
Thema:

Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer?

1. Do you have muliple OneDrive folders that appear in File Exploer? - Similar Threads - muliple OneDrive folders

2. File Exploere

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Exploere: Can anybody give me some guidance.I was surprised when I found where File History was storing some of my files. So I looked in File Explorer which I have used forever, it has me now a little more confused but only since I had OneDrive installed.I am finding it difficult to...
  3. File Exploere

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Exploere: Can anybody give me some guidance.I was surprised when I found where File History was storing some of my files. So I looked in File Explorer which I have used forever, it has me now a little more confused but only since I had OneDrive installed.I am finding it difficult to...
  4. It appears you do not have permission to view this file - OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It appears you do not have permission to view this file - OneDrive: Some of my folders in my personal one drive will not open.They are downloaded to my hard drive indicated by green tick but will not allow me to open them, getting the error - "It appears you do not have permission to view this file".I can however open the files on another PC...
  5. It appears you do not have permission to view this file - OneDrive

It appears you do not have permission to view this file - OneDrive: Some of my folders in my personal one drive will not open.They are downloaded to my hard drive indicated by green tick but will not allow me to open them, getting the error - "It appears you do not have permission to view this file".I can however open the files on another PC...
  6. OneDrive files not appearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive files not appearing: I am having a sudden issue with OneDrive which I have been using for years. This is a new laptop, but onedrive has been working just fine for the first two weeks.Suddenly OneDrive started downloading ALL of my files onto my laptop which is way too big for my laptop. I had to...
  7. OneDrive files not appearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive files not appearing: I am having a sudden issue with OneDrive which I have been using for years. This is a new laptop, but onedrive has been working just fine for the first two weeks.Suddenly OneDrive started downloading ALL of my files onto my laptop which is way too big for my laptop. I had to...
  8. OneDrive files not appearing

9. File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders

in Windows 10 Support
    File exploer - why multiple public and documents folders: [img] This is my file explorer tree. First question is, why is there a public folder under the PC name, and another one under Users. I think this was the same in Win 7. They are not the same folder. It's confusing to have multiple public folders. Can I just delete...
  10. Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Thumbnail previews do not appear in OneDrive folders: (Can't seem to post this to OneDrive so reverting to Windows) My Documents on my machine is configured in my OneDrive folder system. All data is saved in OneDrive and then synchronized to the Cloud. Several months ago, I lost the ability to "reliably" see Thumbnail...