Windows 10: Do you need "Reserved Partition" if you have valid system backups

Discus and support Do you need "Reserved Partition" if you have valid system backups in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have multiple Win 10 Pro 64bit system/image backups of my C: drive...both Windows Images(s) and Acronis system tibs. Do I need any/all Reserve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by trinaz, Nov 27, 2016.

1. trinaz Win User

Do you need "Reserved Partition" if you have valid system backups

I have multiple Win 10 Pro 64bit system/image backups of my C: drive...both Windows Images(s) and Acronis system tibs. Do I need any/all Reserve Partition(s) on the C: drive in addition to image/tib system backups ??

Thanks...TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Nov 27, 2016
  2. LN1000 Win User

Installation status: Failed - Error details: Code 800703F1

Hi Ernstvg

I can't change the size of my "System Reserved" with windows own Disc Manager. I can decrease the size of my C: drive, but not System Reserved which is locked somehow Do I need another partition tool, or is there any other way around it?

Thanks

LN1000, Nov 27, 2016
  3. Updating Windows 10

According to the FAQ, it is claimed that getting rid of the Microsoft Reserved Partition will do no harm. The reason I asked you was that I kinda believe Microsoft put it there for a reason. In my system, the reserved partition lies between the System
    partition and the C: OS partition. I cannot increase the System partition from its current 100MB size to something around 500MB, which is what is claimed that Win10 needs. Since you seem to be an experienced Windows user, I wanted to know what that "Microsoft
    Reserve Partition" does? Is it unnecessary as the folks at Partition Magic seem to say.

JackWekell, Nov 27, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

It may not be easy to get rid of those partitions, usually automatically created when Windows is first installed. And imaging/cloning programs will just put them back anyway.

Berton, Nov 27, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    Two of my three computers' Windows 7 Pro created a System Reserved partition at their respective creation. I make full image backups of both that partition and my OS partition onto two external media devices. I recommend leaving Windows Prime things be, and, recommend backing such partitions up from time to time.

RolandJS, Nov 27, 2016
  6. dorh Win User
    the system reserved partition once created, you'd better leave it be. If you delete it by force, system will likely fail to boot. when you install Windows on a created partition, there will be no system reserved partition.

7. NavyLCDR New Member
    That is only true on a legacy BIOS system and the created partition is marked as active when Windows is installed. A UEFI computer will always have an EFI System Partition.
    @trinaz,

Don't confuse a system reserved partition with a recovery partition. Recovery partitions are only a convenience, not a necessity. You can always delete recovery partitions if you want to, but to do any system OS repair you will have to boot from an external drive containing the repair files to do so. The System Reserved partition is likely a necessity because that is where the boot files will be located. If the System Reserved partition is marked as the active partition, that is what a legacy BIOS system is booting from. If it is an EFI System reserved partition, that is where a UEFI computer is booting from.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Do you need "Reserved Partition" if you have valid system backups - Similar Threads - need Reserved Partition

2. Do we need to keep system protection on for system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Do we need to keep system protection on for system reserved partition: I have kept the system protection on for my OS Drive i.e C drive. In case something bad happen, I can restore to earlier restore point.My query is that should I keep the system protection on for system reserved partition also. This is for the knowledge purpose, otherwise I am...
  3. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  4. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  5. System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  6. Windows 10 saying "you need Internet for this" but I do have valid Internet connection -...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 saying "you need Internet for this" but I do have valid Internet connection -...: I have been using my laptop with Windows 10 for years and recently I am using this laptop in company, connecting with a usb ethernet dongle. Now here comes the trouble, when I re-connect my network at home with home wifi, some Microsoft applications says no Internet...
  7. System reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System reserved Partition: as you can probably see in the screenshot , my System reserved Partition and the partition where my windows is installed are on totally different drives: windows: drive 0 (SSD) System reserved Partition: drive 1 (HDD) what i want is simple: move System reserved Partition...
  8. Is a recovery partition needed if you have a rescue disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is a recovery partition needed if you have a rescue disk: What is the function of a recovery partition? Under what circumstance is it needed/used? If you have a made a rescue disk to boot your computer is it needed? Thanks for your help 137020
  9. My windows pc do not have system reserved partition

My windows pc do not have system reserved partition: Though this is related to win 7. I have checked in disk management also and it is not there also. Normally I back up my c drive along with system reserved partition with macrium and can install the windows with backup image on other hard disk. In this case as there was no...
  10. No system reserved partition

No system reserved partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the...