Windows 10: Do you prefer incremental or differential backups?

Discus and support Do you prefer incremental or differential backups? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Would like to get an idea of other user's backup strategy preference. Do you prefer to do differential or incremental image backups to compliment you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by KabyBlue, Jan 3, 2019.

1. KabyBlue Win User

Do you prefer incremental or differential backups?

Would like to get an idea of other user's backup strategy preference. Do you prefer to do differential or incremental image backups to compliment you full images? Or are the some that do both or maybe neither (full image backups only)... *Huh

Interested to hear what you guys do and why...

:)

KabyBlue, Jan 3, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

About Differential & Incremental images

I've used Macrium since the month Windows 7 was launced, Octobr 2009. I have never had a corrupt image. Anyway, using differential and incremental images "spreads" the risk; even if one of these child backups would go missing or get corrupted, you always have the parent full backup and maybe some later child ones.

Exactly. Differential image is egoistic, don't care about any other backups than the last full one. Everything since last full backup will be ignored and all changes saved to a new differential. Incremental is more social, it accets anything, only saving the changes since the last backup, be it full, differential or incremental.

When restoring from a differential image you alway need just two images: the last differential and last full. Restoring from incremental image you need full backup, last differential if one exists, and all incremental backups since that.

Kari, Jan 3, 2019
  3. simrick Win User
    About Differential & Incremental images

If my last full backup was my parent (clean install), then the second differential should be all changes since that point. So it would include everything in differential #1, plus everything after that.

And if one of the incremental images fails or gets corrupted, your restore is in the bin....

Yeah, no thanks, I'll make full backups. *Wink

simrick, Jan 3, 2019
  4. qinada Win User

qinada, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Do you prefer incremental or differential backups? - Similar Threads - prefer incremental differential

2. Easeus Todo Backup differential/incremental questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Easeus Todo Backup differential/incremental questions: Hello everyone. I've been having some issues with setting up my backup scheme and I can't for the life of me figure this one out. So, been using the software on the title for a while. One of my file backups is about 2.5TB. Now, older versions of the software (namely 9.x) used...
  3. Daily Incremental Backup

Daily Incremental Backup: On my pc the C drive hosts windows and programs and D drive hosts my personal, non-system data. I have a few external drives for backup and general storage. I want to begin a 'manual' daily incremental backup regimen of the D drive (I will consider backing up C if your advice...
  4. Incremental Backup Procedure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Incremental Backup Procedure: I have a Seagate STDR4000602 as an external drive for storing backup files but do not know how to schedule my Windows 10 to incremental backup files on a nightly basis....
  5. Zip incremental backup

Zip incremental backup: Morning all I have sync'ed files in F:\mainbackup folder I then zip this into F:\main using: for /d %%X in (*) do "%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.exe" a "F:\Main\%%X.zip" "%%X" I want to incremental zip backup up to F:\1, using F:\mainbackup and zipped folders in F:\Main as...
  6. Incremental backup programs

Incremental backup programs: Windows 10 does not do incremental backups but I want to know about them.I have a program that runs files from a folder and I keep adding files to the folder it runs from. Some of the files I add have the same file name but have changed slightly. When I do an incremental...
  7. Incremental backup programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Incremental backup programs: Windows 10 does not do incremental backups but I want to know about them.I have a program that runs files from a folder and I keep adding files to the folder it runs from. Some of the files I add have the same file name but have changed slightly. When I do an incremental...
  8. Bloated Incremental backups

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bloated Incremental backups: I have a backup scheme where I do 1 full backup after 3 daily incrementals. I do so few incrementals because they are so huge, 65-70GB when I make less than 1MB of changes. At first My backup app, Acronis True Image customer services says that it could be a hardware issue but...
  9. Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity

Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity: Is there any way to see what changed between the most recent image and the previous image? I see the file size increase nearly daily when I have not always made any major changes to my system. I know Windows saves new logs daily, but sometimes the change is 10GB+ after...
  10. About Differential & Incremental images

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    About Differential & Incremental images: *YouTube video player Great, ! So far, I haven't succeeded in creating WinPE through Macrium. So it looks like I need a tutorial. You are getting to be an absolute professional at this! Thanks Wynona! Quick tut for you my dear lady! Only for you, I've hidden...