Windows 10: Do you REALLY want to stop updates? Love me then...

Discus and support Do you REALLY want to stop updates? Love me then... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Microsoft either forgets or doesn't believe some people are just smarter than them. First, if you don't know by now these are some commands. To... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Richard Shank, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Do you REALLY want to stop updates? Love me then...

Microsoft either forgets or doesn't believe some people are just smarter than them.

First, if you don't know by now these are some commands.

To disable Automatic updates service then run as admin sc config wuauserv start= disabled.
    If you want to stop Automatic updates service then run as admin net stop wuauserv
    That's not so good because it completely disables updating all together.

Command for starting automatic updates service: net start wuauserv
    Command for enabling the service: sc config wuauserv start= auto

That part said.....The MAGIC.

First, you can always go into program files and uninstall updates but of course MS will reinstall them HOWEVER!!!

There is a diagnostic tool for Win 10 at this official Microsoft Link.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

See also: How to Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10

This tool when run will give you options.
    You go to the HIDDEN links after it runs the update check.
    Check Mark the updates you DO NOT want installed.

Automatic install will NOT install those EVER! Hence it will not install drivers or anything else you do not want on Windows 10.

This is basically the same Windows update setup as before but repackaged.

Please, am I great.....
    Love me, please love me.....
    Yes, I AM GOD.

:)

Richard Shank, Aug 1, 2015

2. How to Stop "how do you want to open this"

I have Win10Pro (upgraded in place from Win 7 Pro) and every time I click on a link in an email, I get the "How Do You Want To Open This" dialog box. I always click on Internet Explorer and I always check the box "Always use this app" but I still get this
    dialog popping up EVERY time I click on a link. I have changed all the browser settings to Explorer correctly and even went through the default procedure with technical support at Windows. The rep came back to me and said there is no fix. Is this true?

I'd love to stop this annoying behavior.

ScottArmstrong1947, Aug 1, 2015
  3. TygrrJoe Win User
    Inactivate - "How do you want to open this?"

Hello!

I get the How do you want to open this file every time I click a link that will bring me to the internet.

Even if it is a link that I just opened, made my preference and clicked remember this choice.

I went to the control panel>programs>defaults and made IE my default but it has stopped nothing

I'd love to inactivate this all together, it is rather annoying to click over and over for every link whether I have been there or not.

Thank you for anyone would like to help me out!!

I am in Windows 10 btw

TygrrJoe, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Drachen Win User

Do you REALLY want to stop updates? Love me then...

So, to clarify, this is stop the AUTOMATIC updating, but self-updating will still work as normal?

Drachen, Aug 1, 2015
  5. My experience is that if you stop the service and click on check updates NOTHING will work as far as updating.
    I believe that you can use disable the auto part.
    Use the tool to hide the updates you don't want then run check updates through the Windows system.

There is no doubt in my mind that some 13 year old Chinese kid will write a windows update tool based off this or even use a registry hack to restore what MS took out.

Richard Shank, Aug 1, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

They are already writing USB -->ISO to convert installation USB sticks into ISO formats again for DVD burning. !!!!!!

Still if these kids are getting involved in this stuff itkeeps them off the streets and stops them hanging around takeaways and small grocery shops like you always seem to see "packs" of Young kids in Europe wasting their time and sometimes just full of "anti social" behaviour.

The next time when I'm in England if I see some bicycles just thrown haphazardly right in front of a store entrance I'm just going to stamp on them and bend a wheel or two (I'm quite large and strong so a pack of kids won't scare me !!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 1, 2015
  7. weertt Win User
    Yes you can, but only in Windows 10 PROF.

weertt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Do you REALLY want to stop updates? Love me then...

1. Do you REALLY want to stop updates? Love me then... - Similar Threads - REALLY stop updates

2. Why do you want me to leave Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do you want me to leave Microsoft?: For close to 30 years I have been right clicking to copy or paste, or using CTRL C/CTRL P. Why would someone think it was a good idea to change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-you-want-me-to-leave-microsoft/0175cc6f-ba6f-4b63-a607-c3a685a6a711
  3. Why do you want me to leave Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why do you want me to leave Microsoft?: For close to 30 years I have been right clicking to copy or paste, or using CTRL C/CTRL P. Why would someone think it was a good idea to change that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-do-you-want-me-to-leave-microsoft/0175cc6f-ba6f-4b63-a607-c3a685a6a711
  4. Live Tiles can be re-enabled in Windows 11 if you really love them

in Windows 10 News
    Live Tiles can be re-enabled in Windows 11 if you really love them: Like Windows 8, Windows 10 has been filled with Live Tiles since its launch in 2015. By default, dozens of tiles or squares in the Start Menu are updated with the latest information, news or weather. Start Menu live tiles first appeared in the Windows Phone 7 OS and were...
  5. How to stop "Do you want your machine to be discoverable"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop "Do you want your machine to be discoverable"?: I'm running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro v 1909 (OS Build 18363.693) on a home-built desktop. Something changed recently -- probably a Windows update -- that's annoying the hell out of me. Here's the situation: I much prefer to work on my machine offline just as much as possible. I...
  6. For the love.. please help me..

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    For the love.. please help me..: So.. recent update to 1909, now whenever I use "Save As" (Chrome, Edge Beta, FireFox: FWIW "Edge" seems unaffected) and use the explorer window to change my file location; my fucking keyboard inputs are random.. like.. spacebar="f" c="h".. I've been asking the ole internets...
  7. I'd really love to know!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I'd really love to know!: I'd really love to know: If I'm being sent to fake sites for any questions or items I need information on and NEED to comment;the page has been locked the very same day,or a few days prior.When I go look for answers.A browser redirect!??? I don't think so,if I see one I'll...
  8. do you really still love ms paint?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    do you really still love ms paint?: I absolutely love ms paint the simplistic and clunky controls always posed a casual experience and slight challenge that was just wonderful but recently I have found it has been mysteriously removed from my computer. so, I looked into it and I found that you got rid of it in...
  9. How to stop "How Do You Want To Open This"

in Browsers and Email
    How to stop "How Do You Want To Open This": I have Win10Pro (upgraded in place from Win8.1Pro) and every time I click on a link in an email, I get the "How Do You Want To Open This" dialog box. I always click on Internet Explorer and I always check the box "Always use this app" but I still get this dialog popping up...
  10. Stop asking How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop asking How do you want to open this file: This happens a lot. I double-click a file to open and a popup windows appears asking How do you want to open this file? It already has the program associated with it highlighted, but I still have to check the box to Always use this program and then click OK. These are...