Windows 10: Do you reformat ssd prior to clean isntall of 10

Discus and support Do you reformat ssd prior to clean isntall of 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sorry if this is basic...but just trying to avoid any unnecessary issues. I am using Brinks "Clean Install" tutorial via a usb stick for Win 10. Have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by trinaz, Dec 8, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

Do you reformat ssd prior to clean isntall of 10

Sorry if this is basic...but just trying to avoid any unnecessary issues. I am using Brinks "Clean Install" tutorial via a usb stick for Win 10. Have everything prepared. Question is...Will the iso file on the usb reformat my current SSD with licensed Win 7 Pro 64bit system installed ? Or do I need to reformat the SSD prior to using the USB to clean install Win 10 Pro 64bit ?

I have multiple images of my Win 7 Pro and will probably set up a dual boot down the road...but want to be sure I don't goof here in step 1.

Will the Win 10 Pro 64bit iso file from Brinks tutorial auto format the existing SSD with Win 7 on it now when I launch it from the usb drive...or should I manually reformat the SSD first ?

Thanks...TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Dec 8, 2015
  2. R.Olivaw Win User

Installed Window 10 Pro on a ASUS U56E that had Windows 10 Home

I tried to do a clean install of Win 10 Home w/o reformatting the SSD but I kept getting to an install page for Win 10 Pro.

That is why I thought I might have to reformat the SSD.

So do I need to reformat the SSD first or is there some other way to install Win 10 Home?

Thanks!

R.Olivaw, Dec 8, 2015
  3. Migrating to a SSD - clone or fresh install?

I bought a PC with Windows 7 pre-installed on a HDD. A few months ago I upgraded to Windows with no problems.

Now I would like to replace my HDD with a SSD. I would prefer to do a clean install, but I'm worried about activation. Can I use my current code/product key for a clean Windows 10 install on the SSD? Or should I clone the HDD image instead?

If I can do a clean install, where can i find the Win 10 iso to do the isntallation with?

AegonTheUnready, Dec 8, 2015
  4. OldMike65 Win User

This is what one of our members recommends....see if this helps you.
    If you want a completely clean install, boot from the Window 10 USB, select the custom install option, delete all the partitions on the SSD and just install to the unallocated space.

If you have not had Windows 10 on that computer before, don't forget to have a method available to activate Windows 10 after installing. I prefer to run gatherosstate.exe and save the genuineticket.xml as a backup just in case entering a Windows 7/8/8.1 product key fails to activate.

OldMike65, Dec 8, 2015
  5. I do what OldMike65 listed in his first response. I delete all partitions except my Data partition. I keep my user folders such as documents, pictures, etc on a separate drive or partition. Windows will create any and all the system partitions it needs automatically in the unallocated space. No compromises have to be made and no left overs. It's as good as it gets.

alphanumeric, Dec 8, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

best way to "Reformat" an SSD is to use CMD PROMPT as administrator

1) DISKPART
    2) LIST DISK
    3) SELECT DISK xxx where xxx is the Disk nr of the SSD
    4) CLEAN
    5) CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    6) ACTIVE
    7) FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK

now exit and your SSD is ready for installing Windows
    (If you want UEFI partition -- GPT) then do 8) CONVERT GPT

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 8, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I disagree. Select Custom Install - delete any partitions listed on the drive you want a clean install to, select the unallocated space and let Windows 10 create the partitions.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2015
  8. essenbe Win User

Either way will work fine. If you are old fashioned, like me, I like the diskpart. But have done it both ways and either will work just as well.

essenbe, Dec 8, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    Listen to NavyLCDR this man knows!! *Thumbs

OldMike65, Dec 8, 2015
  10. trinaz Win User
    OK...thanks all...upgrade/clean install underway...one other question...in the first screen or so...it asked to check for updates...I said yes but the updates window seems to keep running and running...is this normal and how long should I wait for the checking for updates to finish ?

TiminAz

trinaz, Dec 8, 2015
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    That part can seem to take forever. Just let it be. If you try to kill it, you'll likely have more problems than you expect.

f14tomcat, Dec 8, 2015
  12. Snakeyes Win User
    Hate to be slightly contrary, but to maintain the SSD performance, use the manufacturers software to do a secure erase. This cleans out all the NAND's and restores the SSD to "like new" performance. You can then use the Windows utilities to create partitions etc.

A secure erase is very different than a format or repartitioning.

Snakeyes, Dec 8, 2015
  13. Do you reformat ssd prior to clean isntall of 10

I do a complete data wipe, format and repartition of the drive. Clean install needs a completely clean drive. IMO.

lopedoggie, Dec 8, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

sorry to labour the point -- I think if you do it this way then if the SSD is an MBR disk then you won't get the UEFI boot of W10.

With Diskpart you can convert the MBR HDD / SSD to GPT before starting any Windows install.

Up to you --these days on modern computers and laptops I prefer having all my HDD's and SSD's as GPT drives.

Note -UEFI is not the same as secure boot which is something else entirely.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Do you reformat ssd prior to clean isntall of 10 - Similar Threads - reformat ssd prior

2. VB6 isntallation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VB6 isntallation: Unfortunately, we still have applications in VB6. In order to upgrade them we need to re-write the entire app.We have a license for VB6 but we need the installation.From where we can download it?...
  3. Windows 10 isntallation has failed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 isntallation has failed.: hi everybodyim enocountering an issue when installing windows 10I'm upgrading windows 8.1 to windows 10Everything got fine.but later during the installation, when the blue screen comes and a big text "Installing windows 10" appreasat that time, after installation of 73% it...
  4. Problem reformatting external SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem reformatting external SSD: Just got a Samsung T5 portable 2-TB SSD. Ran the included software, moved some files onto it, and went to bed. Realized this AM I'd forgotten to record the password. The files weren't that important, so I thought I'd just reformat the SSD. But Windows reports it will format...
  5. Reformat HDD and clean install Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reformat HDD and clean install Win 10: I'd like to do a clean install of Windows 10. My laptop came with Win 7 and I did the upgrade to Win 10 some time ago but I do not have a product key or an installation disk. As I'm purchasing a new laptop I want to pass my old machine on but want to clean it up before I...
  6. Reformatting SSD and not HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reformatting SSD and not HD: Hello there! I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD. I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD. I...
  7. Web Cam reformatting ssd

Web Cam reformatting ssd: How do I go about reformatting the ssd that appears to be write protected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/web-cam-reformatting-ssd/83e985a9-ff37-4b99-ab48-0b4595d3ec3f
  8. wed can reformatting ssd

wed can reformatting ssd: how do I reformat an ssd that seems to be set as write protected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/wed-can-reformatting-ssd/9d6ffacf-e8a0-4413-8bf5-fc9fe1d7e1ea
  9. How to preserve Edge Passwords prior to reformat and clean install?

in Browsers and Email
    How to preserve Edge Passwords prior to reformat and clean install?: Hi, I hope the title says enough, obviously windows 10. How to preserve Edge Passwords prior to reformat and clean install? Thanks 112745
  10. can i reformat ssd with cloned image to do clean install instead?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    can i reformat ssd with cloned image to do clean install instead?: I cloned my HDD to my new SSD and it seems like it did it without error. However, I didn't physically swap them as I needed some guidance about the location of the SSD when doing the first reboot and now 4 days later I have fixed a couple of ongoing issues with my system...