Windows 10: Do you want to run this file?

Discus and support Do you want to run this file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I get this popup most every time I open an install .exe file. Maybe I'm supposed to stop, think and realize that "Gosh. I really don't want to run this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Feb 6, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Do you want to run this file?

I get this popup most every time I open an install .exe file. Maybe I'm supposed to stop, think and realize that "Gosh. I really don't want to run this file! Why the heck did I download it anyway?" But so far, after searching for it, weighing the options and downloading it, I double click it because I want to run it. Is there a way to stop it? I believe it's a part of Windows and not my (Avast) antivirus because I turned off Avast and it still pops up. Is it built into the exe file or is it a windows convenience?

:)

tcebob, Feb 6, 2017

2. Repeated "How do you want to run this" when opening a web link in Outlook on Windows 10

Thanks, my mistake. Fixed now, thanks.

JerryMeeker, Feb 6, 2017
  3. Repeated "How do you want to run this" when opening a web link in Outlook on Windows 10

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

In order to understand the issue in a better way, please answer the below questions:

1. Did you check the box Always use this app while opening the link within outlook?

2. Are you using email client outlook or outlook.com?

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Feb 6, 2017
  4. merkxr Win User

It is a part of Windows. I think, and I may be wrong, that Windows does a certificate check on the .exe file and if it isn't a known one Windows will ask if you are sure you want to run it. Is there a way to turn this off? I'm pretty sure there is I just don't recall how to do it.

merkxr, Feb 6, 2017
  5. Caledon Ken, Feb 6, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The reason that popup is there is so that Windows can make sure that it is the user that wants to run that file and not a virus script. I have absolutely no issue with one extra mouse click to maintain the protection that it offers.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Do you want to run this file? - Similar Threads - run file

2. file explorer not running and opening any file causes a black screen to flash for 2 seconds.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer not running and opening any file causes a black screen to flash for 2 seconds.: Hello people, I think I deleted a file reader or something like that by accident. How do I reinstall it or is there another solution to make me be able to open up file explorer. By the way, I tried every method in trying to run file explorer even the win + X method and it...
  3. Cannot run some Programs on Program Files without Admin rights

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot run some Programs on Program Files without Admin rights: Hi, Recent days, my pc cannot run some programs: - SQL Server Management Studio [ATTACH] - Visual Studio cannot Publish websites with FTP publishing mode - Logitech Gaming Software - lgcore.exe cannot run at start up. To fix it, I have to set combability mode of exe...
  4. Changed computer and the new computer is not letting me run or access games/files saved to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed computer and the new computer is not letting me run or access games/files saved to...: As the title states, i got a new computer and I had my window store games saved to an external drive. When trying to run/modify any games or files the computer wont let me even after granting myself perms to do so. Any ways to fix this, ideally i'd like to remove them from...
  5. Error 0x8007016A: The Cloud File provider is not running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error 0x8007016A: The Cloud File provider is not running: There are a lot of references to this error involving OneDrive. I get this error when trying to move two random files off my PC - to a USB memory stick, to a shared drive on a local NAS, to Dropbox, with OneDrive not involved as far as I know. Anyone able to help Thanks...
  6. No exe files will run!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No exe files will run!: No exe files will run. This includes, Command Prompt, regedit, reset get started or anything else that has exe file during exicution. Using windows 10, on a hp envy laptop. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. Every time CHKDSK runs at system boot, it completely fucks my D drive. Files corrupted....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Every time CHKDSK runs at system boot, it completely fucks my D drive. Files corrupted....: I'm getting really tired of this shit :( I just wanted to shoot some space russians win 10 why do you make my life so hard :( submitted by /u/Achiron [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f6fabi/every_time_chkdsk_runs_at_system_boot_it/
  8. I've had a pc for 8-10 yrs now running Win 10 that I use as a backup for my files.

I've had a pc for 8-10 yrs now running Win 10 that I use as a backup for my files.: I ran win update in Dec and have not rebooted since then. I booted it up and it's now asking for a password never have had a password on it The hint for the password is my mother's maiden name is also my middle name and that does not work. It gives me an opportunity to answer...
  9. Win 10 Closes Any Running Programs and Opens an File Explorer Window

Win 10 Closes Any Running Programs and Opens an File Explorer Window: This has been happening to me for some time now, maybe 2 years on and off, it seems to go through phases. Example 1 - The other day I had Adobe Bridge open on my left screen in fullscreen mode and MS Excel 2016 on the right screen. I was typing in Excel and suddenly...
  10. I Deleted Some System32 Files And Now My Computer Wont Run Propertly.

I Deleted Some System32 Files And Now My Computer Wont Run Propertly.: So I was trying to make some space for my computer and for some reason I thought that deleting System32 was a good idea but even thought I couldn't delete most files because I needed permission , I still managed to delete some and then my computer started to bug out. At first...