Windows 10: Do you want to run this file?

Discus and support Do you want to run this file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I get this popup most every time I open an install .exe file. Maybe I'm supposed to stop, think and realize that "Gosh. I really don't want to run this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Feb 6, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Do you want to run this file?

I get this popup most every time I open an install .exe file. Maybe I'm supposed to stop, think and realize that "Gosh. I really don't want to run this file! Why the heck did I download it anyway?" But so far, after searching for it, weighing the options and downloading it, I double click it because I want to run it. Is there a way to stop it? I believe it's a part of Windows and not my (Avast) antivirus because I turned off Avast and it still pops up. Is it built into the exe file or is it a windows convenience?

:)

tcebob, Feb 6, 2017

2. Repeated "How do you want to run this" when opening a web link in Outlook on Windows 10

Thanks, my mistake. Fixed now, thanks.

JerryMeeker, Feb 6, 2017
  3. Repeated "How do you want to run this" when opening a web link in Outlook on Windows 10

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

In order to understand the issue in a better way, please answer the below questions:

1. Did you check the box Always use this app while opening the link within outlook?

2. Are you using email client outlook or outlook.com?

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Feb 6, 2017
  4. merkxr Win User

It is a part of Windows. I think, and I may be wrong, that Windows does a certificate check on the .exe file and if it isn't a known one Windows will ask if you are sure you want to run it. Is there a way to turn this off? I'm pretty sure there is I just don't recall how to do it.

merkxr, Feb 6, 2017
  5. Caledon Ken, Feb 6, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The reason that popup is there is so that Windows can make sure that it is the user that wants to run that file and not a virus script. I have absolutely no issue with one extra mouse click to maintain the protection that it offers.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Do you want to run this file? - Similar Threads - run file

2. .ps1 files running from C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .ps1 files running from C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\: Good afternoon,I'm using sysmon and I've detected random .ps1 files running across my enterprise at different time intervals. I attempted to locate these .ps1 files on my local system and they have disappeared or been deleted. Is this some normal check that windows...
  3. .ps1 files running from C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .ps1 files running from C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\: Good afternoon,I'm using sysmon and I've detected random .ps1 files running across my enterprise at different time intervals. I attempted to locate these .ps1 files on my local system and they have disappeared or been deleted. Is this some normal check that windows...
  4. .ps1 files running from C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 laptop keeps "resetting", vanishing apps and files every time it runs out of battery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 laptop keeps "resetting", vanishing apps and files every time it runs out of battery: A couple days ago, my windows 10 laptop had run out of battery- it had lots of files and downloads, so after I charged it and turned it back on- Everything was gone. It was reduced to only 3 apps file explorer, microsoft store, and mail even though it had more like google,...
  6. Windows 10 laptop keeps "resetting", vanishing apps and files every time it runs out of battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 laptop keeps "resetting", vanishing apps and files every time it runs out of battery: A couple days ago, my windows 10 laptop had run out of battery- it had lots of files and downloads, so after I charged it and turned it back on- Everything was gone. It was reduced to only 3 apps file explorer, microsoft store, and mail even though it had more like google,...
  7. Windows 10 laptop keeps "resetting", vanishing apps and files every time it runs out of battery

8. File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed: I work on files most of my computer time. Because they are either embroidery files or graphics, I need to use large icons to know what I'm working with. I do what I know to keep extraneous files from accumulating.I empty my recycle bin regularlyI run Disk Cleanup frequently...
  9. File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed

File Explorer and file search keep freezing. Edge running when closed: I work on files most of my computer time. Because they are either embroidery files or graphics, I need to use large icons to know what I'm working with. I do what I know to keep extraneous files from accumulating.I empty my recycle bin regularlyI run Disk Cleanup frequently...
  10. .exe files will not run correctly

.exe files will not run correctly: Hello,I'm having trouble getting .exe files to run. When I try to run the file I can see that it sort of works through the task manager but it appears frozen and nothing pops up. I've checked the permissions through regedit and everything seems fine, I've tried turning off my...