Windows 10: Do you want to run this file?

Discus and support Do you want to run this file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I get this popup most every time I open an install .exe file. Maybe I'm supposed to stop, think and realize that "Gosh. I really don't want to run this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Feb 6, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Do you want to run this file?

I get this popup most every time I open an install .exe file. Maybe I'm supposed to stop, think and realize that "Gosh. I really don't want to run this file! Why the heck did I download it anyway?" But so far, after searching for it, weighing the options and downloading it, I double click it because I want to run it. Is there a way to stop it? I believe it's a part of Windows and not my (Avast) antivirus because I turned off Avast and it still pops up. Is it built into the exe file or is it a windows convenience?

:)

tcebob, Feb 6, 2017

2. Repeated "How do you want to run this" when opening a web link in Outlook on Windows 10

Thanks, my mistake. Fixed now, thanks.

JerryMeeker, Feb 6, 2017
  3. Repeated "How do you want to run this" when opening a web link in Outlook on Windows 10

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

In order to understand the issue in a better way, please answer the below questions:

1. Did you check the box Always use this app while opening the link within outlook?

2. Are you using email client outlook or outlook.com?

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Feb 6, 2017
  4. merkxr Win User

It is a part of Windows. I think, and I may be wrong, that Windows does a certificate check on the .exe file and if it isn't a known one Windows will ask if you are sure you want to run it. Is there a way to turn this off? I'm pretty sure there is I just don't recall how to do it.

merkxr, Feb 6, 2017
  5. Caledon Ken, Feb 6, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The reason that popup is there is so that Windows can make sure that it is the user that wants to run that file and not a virus script. I have absolutely no issue with one extra mouse click to maintain the protection that it offers.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Do you want to run this file? - Similar Threads - run file

2. Why do I get "access denied" when I try to run commands from file through a batch script?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why do I get "access denied" when I try to run commands from file through a batch script?: I am trying to write a script that should run some commands from a file specifically commands for pg_dump and pg_restore, or backup and restore of Postgres database, but I am receiving an "access denied" output.The script looks like this:@echo offrem enters postgres directory...
  3. Why do I get "access denied" when I try to run commands from file through a batch script?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do I get "access denied" when I try to run commands from file through a batch script?: I am trying to write a script that should run some commands from a file specifically commands for pg_dump and pg_restore, or backup and restore of Postgres database, but I am receiving an "access denied" output.The script looks like this:@echo offrem enters postgres directory...
  4. Why do I get "access denied" when I try to run commands from file through a batch script?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I cant run exe files and my virus threat protection says it needs to be restarted but it wont

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant run exe files and my virus threat protection says it needs to be restarted but it wont: I cant open this exe file even though I can run other exe files.And my threat protection says that it needs to be restarted but I cant, it just keeps loading.A friend told me this had to do something with a registry error or something like that but they aren't sure either....
  6. I cant run exe files and my virus threat protection says it needs to be restarted but it wont

I cant run exe files and my virus threat protection says it needs to be restarted but it wont: I cant open this exe file even though I can run other exe files.And my threat protection says that it needs to be restarted but I cant, it just keeps loading.A friend told me this had to do something with a registry error or something like that but they aren't sure either....
  7. I accidentally deleted the temporary files And now the games don't run help me plsssss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally deleted the temporary files And now the games don't run help me plsssss: hi Yesterday I accidentally deleted the temporary files And now the games fc24 n hogwarts l exit the game after loading .I reinstalled directxI ran sfc/ scannow in cmdI used debug mod in nvidia cpI used verify integrity method i cant uploadthis is DirectX function...
  8. I accidentally deleted the temporary files And now the games don't run help me plsssss

I accidentally deleted the temporary files And now the games don't run help me plsssss: hi Yesterday I accidentally deleted the temporary files And now the games fc24 n hogwarts l exit the game after loading .I reinstalled directxI ran sfc/ scannow in cmdI used debug mod in nvidia cpI used verify integrity method i cant uploadthis is DirectX function...
  9. hello i try to running application comand windows script but the file javaw.exe eror and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hello i try to running application comand windows script but the file javaw.exe eror and...: Sourcejavaw.exeSummaryStopped workingDate‎3/‎18/‎2024 11:15 AMStatusReport sentDescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\CONSOLE_2023\1.4.0\jre\bin\javaw.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BEXApplication Name: javaw.exeApplication Version: 0.0.0.0Application Timestamp:...
  10. hello i try to running application comand windows script but the file javaw.exe eror and...

hello i try to running application comand windows script but the file javaw.exe eror and...: Sourcejavaw.exeSummaryStopped workingDate‎3/‎18/‎2024 11:15 AMStatusReport sentDescriptionFaulting Application Path: C:\CONSOLE_2023\1.4.0\jre\bin\javaw.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BEXApplication Name: javaw.exeApplication Version: 0.0.0.0Application Timestamp:...