Windows 10: Do you want to run this file?

Discus and support Do you want to run this file? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I get this popup most every time I open an install .exe file. Maybe I'm supposed to stop, think and realize that "Gosh. I really don't want to run this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Feb 6, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Do you want to run this file?

I get this popup most every time I open an install .exe file. Maybe I'm supposed to stop, think and realize that "Gosh. I really don't want to run this file! Why the heck did I download it anyway?" But so far, after searching for it, weighing the options and downloading it, I double click it because I want to run it. Is there a way to stop it? I believe it's a part of Windows and not my (Avast) antivirus because I turned off Avast and it still pops up. Is it built into the exe file or is it a windows convenience?

:)

tcebob, Feb 6, 2017

2. Repeated "How do you want to run this" when opening a web link in Outlook on Windows 10

Thanks, my mistake. Fixed now, thanks.

JerryMeeker, Feb 6, 2017
  3. Repeated "How do you want to run this" when opening a web link in Outlook on Windows 10

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

In order to understand the issue in a better way, please answer the below questions:

1. Did you check the box Always use this app while opening the link within outlook?

2. Are you using email client outlook or outlook.com?

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Feb 6, 2017
  4. merkxr Win User

It is a part of Windows. I think, and I may be wrong, that Windows does a certificate check on the .exe file and if it isn't a known one Windows will ask if you are sure you want to run it. Is there a way to turn this off? I'm pretty sure there is I just don't recall how to do it.

merkxr, Feb 6, 2017
  5. Caledon Ken, Feb 6, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The reason that popup is there is so that Windows can make sure that it is the user that wants to run that file and not a virus script. I have absolutely no issue with one extra mouse click to maintain the protection that it offers.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Do you want to run this file? - Similar Threads - run file

2. Why does Windows ask if you want to run a .Reg file when zipping it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why does Windows ask if you want to run a .Reg file when zipping it?: I'm just curious as for why this happens as it clearly doesn't get run and adds anything to the registry. submitted by /u/ApertureNext [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ltnqud/why_does_windows_ask_if_you_want_to_run_a_reg/
  3. Tried to run File Explorer from pin on Taskbar and got error

in Windows 10 Support
    Tried to run File Explorer from pin on Taskbar and got error: Just added a new local account with 20H2 and tried to run File Explorer from the pin on the Taskbar and got this: [img] 174977
  4. Can't run .application file.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't run .application file.: I'm trying to run a .application file from shipstation.com. EVerytime i do it claims the administrator has blocked the app because it potentially poses a security risk. I have tried unblocking it, tried running it from an Admin CMD prompt, tried installing it in safe mode...
  5. I want to run an executable file that is not an app at startup of Windows.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want to run an executable file that is not an app at startup of Windows.: I want to run an executable file that is not an app at startup on Windows 10. The executable happens to be a process monitor that I have used for years on Windows 7 and earlier versions Procexp64.exe but the specifics shouldn't matter. It was quite easy to add it as a simple...
  6. Missing all files stopping me from running steam games

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing all files stopping me from running steam games: Downloaded a game from steam (have tried reinstalling multiple times) Got an error saying that d3dx9_31.dll is missing and XINPUT1_3.dll is missing Tried updating direct x but my system says there are no updates Tried to download directx9 but my computer is blocking the...
  7. cant use a apk file on my laptop which runs on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cant use a apk file on my laptop which runs on windows 10: how can I run a apk file on my laptop? I have the file in a pendrive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-use-a-apk-file-on-my-laptop-which-runs-on/9f544cec-1589-4cb4-9fd7-a4a59e206104
  8. Getting .Net Run time and Application error while loading landxml file in Bentley Power...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting .Net Run time and Application error while loading landxml file in Bentley Power...: [ATTACH]Using brand new Desktop having OS: Windows 10 Pro Image attached. Loading the land xml file into Bentley Power Rail Track gives 2 error messages: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  9. Windows 10 mlang.dll file is being reported as being not designed to run on Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 mlang.dll file is being reported as being not designed to run on Windows: I use an e-mail client called The BAT from RITLABS and have done so for many years but just recently after windows performed an update when I run the aforementioned program a pop up box appears towards the end of the program loading saying that "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mlang.dll...
  10. Running a file after recovery from Usam virus attack

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Running a file after recovery from Usam virus attack: I was attacked with a USAM ransomware and then I reinstalled my windows deleting all the data. And then I recovered my pictures from a recovery tool and my videos. Pictures are okay but my videos dont run. What can I do? [Moved from Office]...