Windows 10: Docker on WSL2 Ubuntu 20.04

Discus and support Docker on WSL2 Ubuntu 20.04 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; How can I install docker? I tried $ sudo apt install docker.io Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/kautica0, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Docker on WSL2 Ubuntu 20.04

How can I install docker?

I tried

$ sudo apt install docker.io Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Suggested packages: aufs-tools debootstrap docker-doc rinse zfs-fuse | zfsutils The following NEW packages will be installed: docker.io 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 37 not upgraded. Need to get 38.9 MB of archives. After this operation, 192 MB of additional disk space will be used. Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 docker.io amd64 19.03.8-0ubuntu1.20.04 [38.9 MB] Fetched 38.9 MB in 5s (7301 kB/s) Preconfiguring packages ... Selecting previously unselected package docker.io. (Reading database ... 51403 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack .../docker.io_19.03.8-0ubuntu1.20.04_amd64.deb ... Unpacking docker.io (19.03.8-0ubuntu1.20.04) ... Setting up docker.io (19.03.8-0ubuntu1.20.04) ... invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/docker not found. invoke-rc.d: could not determine current runlevel Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) ... $ docker ps Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at unix:///var/run/docker.sock. Is the docker daemon running?
    submitted by /u/kautica0
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/kautica0, Sep 9, 2020

2. Can't connect to Windows network services from WSL2

I have Ubuntu 18.04 running in WSL2, from which I want to connect to Docker Desktop running on Windows.

From cmd.exe I see that Docker service is listening on 127.0.0.1:2375:

Code:
    C:\Windows\System32>curl 127.0.0.1:2375/info{"ID":"Z2IX:WLIX:FT2V:ZQYY:6222:M6Y6:EGZW:6D2G:EGVY:YABG:VYUM:MB2A","Containers":6,"ContainersRunning":2,"ContainersPaused":0...
    But in WSL2, I got this output by `docker info`:

`ERROR: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon at tcp://127.0.0.1:2375. Is the docker daemon running?`

No connection to 127.0.0.1:2375 from WLS2:

Code:
    $ curl 127.0.0.1:2375curl: (7) Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1 port 2375: Connection refused
    The option "Expose daemon on tcp://localhost:2375 without TLS" is ticked.

Mikhail Batcer, Sep 9, 2020
  3. Sasuke__Uchiha, Sep 9, 2020
  4. Docker on WSL2 Ubuntu 20.04

WSL2 and new Windows Terminal not working with VPN

For most of my apps I don't want to use a VPN. So I have a VPN client that supports split tunneling so I can choose whether I want it to use VPN or not on app by app basis.

The VPN client works fine with different apps but when I try to set it up with Ubuntu WSL/2 and new Window Terminal app (by selecting both Ubuntu 20.04 LTS WSL2 app and the Windows Terminal App)... it doesn't work. When I check IP from Ubuntu WSL2 bash
    terminal (using "curl ifconfig.me") it shows my real IP rather than the VPN ip (the VPN split tunnel works fine when I try to use it with Powershell via Windows Terminal).

What exact apps do I need to chose for the WSL2 Ubuntu terminal to work with the split tunnel VPN?

VibronicPants49, Sep 9, 2020
Thema:

Docker on WSL2 Ubuntu 20.04

1. Docker on WSL2 Ubuntu 20.04 - Similar Threads - Docker WSL2 Ubuntu

2. WSL2 & Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 & Ubuntu: When trying to run ubuntu on windows subsystem it will not allow me to toggle on the subsystem feature. My virtualization is on. Do I need to change the boot mode from UEFI? Acer nitro windows 11. I've tried with a virtual box download to and it will not load ubuntu. Help!...
  3. WSL2 & Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL2 & Ubuntu: When trying to run ubuntu on windows subsystem it will not allow me to toggle on the subsystem feature. My virtualization is on. Do I need to change the boot mode from UEFI? Acer nitro windows 11. I've tried with a virtual box download to and it will not load ubuntu. Help!...
  4. Using WSL2 with Docker Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using WSL2 with Docker Desktop: Up until a couple months ago I was able to use Docker Desktop and WSL2 to run Kubernetes WITHOUT having a Linux distro on my dev system. During that 2 month period of time I did not do development of services in K8s and did not even start Docker Desktop.Now I am ready to...
  5. Using WSL2 with Docker Desktop

Using WSL2 with Docker Desktop: Up until a couple months ago I was able to use Docker Desktop and WSL2 to run Kubernetes WITHOUT having a Linux distro on my dev system. During that 2 month period of time I did not do development of services in K8s and did not even start Docker Desktop.Now I am ready to...
  6. WSL2 Ubuntu problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 Ubuntu problems: Hello everbody,i have the problem that my ubuntu with wsl2 is not running anymore after temporarily disabling Hyper-V in the Windows-Features.The information in the command window when i try to start is: Please activate the Windows-Feature "VM-Platform" and ensure that...
  7. WSL2 Ubuntu problems

WSL2 Ubuntu problems: Hello everbody,i have the problem that my ubuntu with wsl2 is not running anymore after temporarily disabling Hyper-V in the Windows-Features.The information in the command window when i try to start is: Please activate the Windows-Feature "VM-Platform" and ensure that...
  8. WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04: Hey,I am using WSL 2 Windows 11 and I noticed there is a generic Ubuntu version listed.What is the difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS? What version is Ubuntu Name and Friendly Name...
  9. WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04

WSL2 - Ubuntu vs Ubuntu 20.04: Hey,I am using WSL 2 Windows 11 and I noticed there is a generic Ubuntu version listed.What is the difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS? What version is Ubuntu Name and Friendly Name...
  10. Accessing tftpd in wsl2 docker container

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing tftpd in wsl2 docker container: Problem: Connect to tftpd in Docker from WSL2. Client tftp is running inside wsl2 ubuntu Server is tftpd-hpa running inside docker for windows started from wsl2 ubuntu Windows firewall should be irrelevant, however it is also disabled completelty Summary: I can udp...