Windows 10: Docking computer changes monitor display

Discus and support Docking computer changes monitor display in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Currently having the following issue on multiple Windows 10 devices in my organization for the past few months. I mainly see this on Surface Pro/Book... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Brandon Vinson, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Docking computer changes monitor display

Currently having the following issue on multiple Windows 10 devices in my organization for the past few months. I mainly see this on Surface Pro/Book models, but have also seen this on some Dell laptops. Please note that all devices are running on Windows 10 version 1909, and we check and update firmware monthly. All devices are currently up to date. Stations are set up with two external monitors and it is up to the user whether they wish to use the laptop screen as a third.

Two persistant issues are occuring with external monitors. The first is monitor order being arbitrarily changed when docking. This seems to happen most often after presenting to a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter, disconnecting from the device, and then docking. Monitors two and three will swap positions and the opposite will then be the "main display"

The second issue is more frequent. After docking, one or both external displays will be detected, but the user is unable to select anything other than "Disconnect this Display" from the settings menu. Choosing any other option will immediately set it back to "Disconnect this Display". The only work around we've discovered is to uninstall the Graphics Driver and let it reinstall, however the issue returns in a week or so.

I've scoured the forums, and tried all the normal checks. I've made sure that all updates are current for the computer, the docking station, and the OS. Power settings have been updated so screens don't go to sleep as long as there is power. As a test, one of the users had their entire setup replaced, new monitors, docking station, and computer, and within a week the issue returned.

:)

Brandon Vinson, Mar 8, 2021

2. Custom Display Scaling on Multiple Monitors w/ Dock

Hello,

I've encountered the world's most infuriating problem for which I do not believe there is a solution. I recently purchased an HP ZBook 14u w/ it's associated thunderbolt dock. I have two 24" 4K displays connected to the dock. For the monitors, under scale
    and layout I've set scaling to 225% (which IS listed under available pre-set scaling options) and they look fantastic. For the laptop screen however, the recommended setting is 300% (too big) with the setting below that being 250% (too small). Setting a custom
    scale of 275% is perfect. The problem is, if I set custom scaling on the laptop screen, and then plug it into the dock, it carries over to the two monitors (changing them to 275%) making them too big. It seems there is no way to set custom scaling for an individual
    display. It also seems that there is no way to add a certain scale percentage (in this case 275%) to the list of available options within the settings on the laptop screen without setting a custom number.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Are there any drivers, registry tweaks or custom apps that can allow me to set custom scaling for an individual screen and not have it carry over to all the displays when I connect the laptop to the dock?

CiscoKid08, Mar 8, 2021
  3. Arun B J Win User
    DVI not working on extended monitor with Surface Book docking station

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Make sure the power light for the docking station is on

• Make sure the monitor is getting power

• Make sure the cable is connected properly to the monitor

• Unplug and reconnect the Mini-DVI adapter on the back of your docking station

• Try flipping the connector for the adapter over (turns out some adapters can go in upside-down)

• Take the Surface out of the docking station then put it back in

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Docking computer changes monitor display

Display isn't active - can't detect external displays

Hi,

I would suggest you try the below solutions one by one to fix the issue.

Solution 1 — Clear your display cache to fix display issues

If you’re having problems with your external monitor connected to your Surface Dock, try clearing your display cache:

Step 1:

Disconnect your Surface from the Surface Dock.

Step 2:

Download the Surface Dock registry file and open it.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/8/5/5/8...

Step 3:

Select and run surface dock registry.reg.

Step 4:

Click Yes to allow changes to your Surface > click OK.

Step 5:

Restart your Surface > reconnect it to the Surface Dock > test your external display.

Solution 2—Reset the dock and monitor

If you still can’t use your external monitor, try resetting it together with the dock:

Step 1:

Remove the Surface Connector from your Surface > plug it in again.

Step 2:

Unplug your Surface Dock from the power outlet > plug it in again.

Step 3:

Unplug your monitor from the power outlet > plug it back in.

Regards

Shuaib

Independent Advisor

MohammedShuaib1986, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

Docking computer changes monitor display

1. Docking computer changes monitor display - Similar Threads - Docking computer changes

2. External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...: External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed working when connected directly to laptop. Tested machine on a different docking station same issue. Tested machine on known working docking station no change. Updated all drivers for machine,...
  3. External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...: External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed working when connected directly to laptop. Tested machine on a different docking station same issue. Tested machine on known working docking station no change. Updated all drivers for machine,...
  4. External monitors are not displaying when connected to a docking station. Confirmed...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Docking station not detecting monitor

Docking station not detecting monitor: I've recently bought a new docking station so that I can extend the display of my laptop. It has a usb c connector, which I've plugged into my laptop and for the most part, it works. The wireless mouse works and various other devices that are plugged into to it via usb work...
  6. Dual Monitors with Docking Station

Dual Monitors with Docking Station: Hello-I have a Dell laptop that i use open with 2 external monitors. 1 monitor is plugged in via HDMI directly to the laptop, the other monitor is plugged in via HDMI to my external docking station. All 3 montiors worked fine until yesterday when my IT dept got into my...
  7. Display resolution on monitor changing

Display resolution on monitor changing: When I use "Extend" when after pressing Win + P, my monitor resolution is fine. But then when I close the laptop lid or make it "Second screen only" the resolution becomes worse. Not really sure how it started or when but I am sure it wasn't always like this. I will attach a...
  8. Custom Display Scaling on Multiple Monitors w/ Dock

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Display Scaling on Multiple Monitors w/ Dock: Hello, I've encountered the world's most infuriating problem for which I do not believe there is a solution. I recently purchased an HP ZBook 14u w/ it's associated thunderbolt dock. I have two 24" 4K displays connected to the dock. For the monitors, under scale and layout...
  9. Changing display adapter for monitor

Changing display adapter for monitor: My question In the device manager, as well as in the Advanced Screen Settings, Windows tell me that my external monitor is connected to/run by the least powerful of the two graphics cards in my laptop namely the Intel UHD Graphics 620, my integrated GPU, but I wan't to...
  10. Surface Display Dock not showing external monitor

Surface Display Dock not showing external monitor: Hi! So i have in my possession a Surface Display Dock which was originally use for Lumia Continuum. I'm plugging it into my Laptop (MSI, Core i7-8750H, GTX1650 Max-Q). The Dock has been detected and i can use the USB port on it for my Keyboard and mouse, The drivers are...