Windows 10: Document folder has been made read only how to change it back

Discus and support Document folder has been made read only how to change it back in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Previously I stored documents in the Document Folder on the PC that is windows 10 and was able to access them edit, and resave the changed version.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by frogman39, Jan 29, 2021.

1. frogman39 Win User

Document folder has been made read only how to change it back

Previously I stored documents in the Document Folder on the PC that is windows 10 and was able to access them edit, and resave the changed version. Some time in the fall of 2020 lets say Oct I suddenly was only able to access these documents as "Read-Only" therefore was not allowed to edit and re-save the changes. The document itself as far as it properties were concerned was not "Read-Only" but as I found out the whole folder was set to "Read-Only".

I went to the properties of the folder and reset the appropriate flag and it apply but when I then press the Ok but bring a pop-up that asked how I would like it done the folder only or folder, subfolders etc. that is the only selection actually allowed it can't be changed so press OK. This brings up the following "You will need to provide Administrator permission to change these attributes" Press continue and I get no where it just a circle and the attribute does not change. I am the administrator and the system thinks so for the following reason and that is the I am the only user and it say that the user is the administrator.

So my question is how to fix this? I doubt that it was something I did that caused this so what was in the updates from Microsoft that caused the problem. But I need a fix.

:)

frogman39, Jan 29, 2021

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Gildor Win User
    Can't Change Documents Folder Out of Read-Only

My Documents folder has suddenly declared itself Read-Only (I did nothing to change permissions) and I cannot change it. I have tried the File Explorer/Documents/Properties/Security/Advanced/Change Permissions and Change Owner. Panel does nothing but re-display with change options grayed out. I have tried command prompt. All to no avail. All above was with Run as Administrator.

Frustrating, Any suggestions?

Gildor, Jan 29, 2021
  4. wiganken Win User

Can't Change Documents Folder Out of Read-Only

Hopefully the Take-Ownership step will fix the problem.

My 'Documents' folder has always been 'Read-only' but I have never had any trouble editing files and saving the changes so I think it may be a Windows 10 glitch where it is mis-reporting the status. I think Windows 10 mis-reporting has been mentioned regarding other issues as well.
    Is it affecting your ability to edit and save changes? If not then at least you are not seriously affected.

wiganken, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

1. Document folder has been made read only how to change it back - Similar Threads - Document folder has

2. Can’t change folders from read only back to normal.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t change folders from read only back to normal.: I am about to lose my mind over this I swear to god. I’ve tried every single one of your suggestions and can’t talk to a real person on the phone. No matter what I do, my folders automatically revert to read only. This is essentially preventing me from using my computer. This...
  3. Can’t change folders from read only back to normal.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can’t change folders from read only back to normal.: I am about to lose my mind over this I swear to god. I’ve tried every single one of your suggestions and can’t talk to a real person on the phone. No matter what I do, my folders automatically revert to read only. This is essentially preventing me from using my computer. This...
  4. Folder reverts back to read-only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder reverts back to read-only: I've tried many methods to try and set my folder to not "read-only". I've attempted to manually change the attribute by running the command prompt as administrator with the command: "attrib -R C:\ATLauncher". I'm not sure if I have written this command correctly, but it did...
  5. "My document" folder keep getting set back to "read only"

"My document" folder keep getting set back to "read only": I have my game save file folder in my document folder. Currently, I cannot save my game because the property of the "my document" folder is keep getting set back to read only and do not allow any changes to the folder. How can I fix this? The game that I am currently...
  6. Documents Folder Read-Only

Documents Folder Read-Only: Hi. My Documents folder in my C Drive/Users/User/Documents is stuck as read-only. I have unchecked the box in properties and hit apply, however it resets itself as read-only once I close the window. I have full administrator access yet this problem remains....
  7. Folders changed to read only and revert if I change it back.

Folders changed to read only and revert if I change it back.: I was offline for a couple days after moving. After a restart I noticed I couldn't write to a folder in appdata that a program usually does. I also became unable to play State of Decay 2 which requires a microsoft/xbox account. I had been playing it earlier that day while...
  8. Can't Change Documents Folder Out of Read-Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Change Documents Folder Out of Read-Only: My Documents folder has suddenly declared itself Read-Only (I did nothing to change permissions) and I cannot change it. I have tried the File Explorer/Documents/Properties/Security/Advanced/Change Permissions and Change Owner. Panel does nothing but re-display with change...
  9. How to remove the Read-Only checkmark for "Documents" folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to remove the Read-Only checkmark for "Documents" folder?: . I've just noticed that I can't use "Save As" to save files to any folder under "Documents" - including the "Documents" folder itself. But I can do Ctrl+C followed by Ctrl+V within the same folder. If I try to remove the Read-Only mark on the Documents folder + subfolders,...
  10. Over the past week, windows has been making my documents folder read only

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Over the past week, windows has been making my documents folder read only: Over the past week, windows has been mysteriously making my entire documents folder read only. I noticed this first because suddenly my Fallout4 game couldn't save. It simply collapsed as soon as save game was attempted. I tracked this down to the my games folder being...