Windows 10: Document shortcuts all in one place

Discus and support Document shortcuts all in one place in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi, While I have hundreds of documents on my pc, I'm typically working with around 20 documents. These 20 docs are sensibly ordered [scattered] across... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robocop, Nov 22, 2019.

1. robocop Win User

Document shortcuts all in one place

hi,
    While I have hundreds of documents on my pc, I'm typically working with around 20 documents. These 20 docs are sensibly ordered [scattered] across different folders, some local and some in the cloud. I want a quick place to access all 20 or so documents INSTANTLY.

At the moment I have to treapse (this is terrible hardship I know, spare me pity!) through Windows Explorer, navigate through folders and find what I want (or alternatively setup pinned/favourites/use recently opened in some Apps). I like to work quickly and efficiently and I'm sure this process can be improved.

Please, what is the best way to collate and present say 20 document shortcuts in Windows 10?
    In oldern versions of Windows I used to know flags to open an explorer window without navigation pane. Is this still possible today?

I appreciate a common solution is putting these shortcuts all on the desktop, but this defaces an otherwise clean & tidy desktop.

There must be a better way?

Thanks

:)

robocop, Nov 22, 2019
  2. RDrewD2 Win User

How to create shortcut to document on Win 10

Loyall,

Here's how I add document (or program or folder) shortcuts to my start menu:

Open your start menu, and click the all apps icon to open the list. Right-click pretty much any app on that list, click "more", then click "open file location". That will open an explorer window with the path:

OS(CDocument shortcuts all in one place :)/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/StartMenu/Programs

Leave that window open, and then open a second file explorer window and navigate to the document you want to create the shortcut to. Right click the document and click "create shortcut", place that shortcut on your desktop for the
    moment, and close that window. Now just grab, drag, and drop that new shortcut from the desktop into the open explorer window shown in bold above, and look to make sure it got added to the bottom of that list. Close that explorer window, and now that document
    will appear on your start menu in the all apps list. To make it a tile, then just grab, drag, and drop it from the all apps list into your start menu tiles field. Now you've got a start menu shortcut tile to that specific document. I've done this with three
    Word documents, two Excel documents, and a pictures sub-folder here, so I created a "Files" area on my start menu; notice the lower-right section, see if this is what you're going for:

Document shortcuts all in one place 24a4acf8-66a8-430d-8594-d27f36d415af.png

RDrewD2, Nov 22, 2019
  3. terrace Win User
    Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Document shortcuts all in one place :)

terrace, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Suuper Win User

Shortcut to Documents

This link looked like it might be what I want: This PC 'Folders' - Add or Remove in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Unfortunately, it only hides the links. Using a shortcut to one of the folders still takes me to Thic PC -> [folder]

I found a way to get what I wanted, though. Through a combination of re-naming Documents, creating new folders, deleting Documents and re-naming the new folder to "Documents" I eventually got it. I'm not sure of the exact steps, but I had to delete "Documents" more than once to get it working.

Suuper, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Document shortcuts all in one place - Similar Threads - Document shortcuts place

2. All my shortcuts switched to word documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my shortcuts switched to word documents: I logged into to my computer yesterday and noticed all of my shortcuts are now word documents. The word documents all contain a string of numbers and letters and that's it. I tried to make another shortcut for a new program and it to shows up as a word document.Almost all of...
  3. have a document shortcut.

in Windows 10 Customization
    have a document shortcut.: my document shortcut desktop icon no longer shows the open at top https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/have-a-document-shortcut/759a2eab-0821-497f-9c49-967044a02529
  4. Getting my pictures all in one place on Windows 10.

Getting my pictures all in one place on Windows 10.: I would like all my pictures to go in one place. It isn't doing that. They are going all over. Some in documents, some in download. This is annoying when you want to organize all of your pictures in one place. Can you help me with this? Thanks Felix...
  5. place a shortcut on the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    place a shortcut on the taskbar: I have a shortcut to "Adjust print options" on my desktop would like to place it on the taskbar, is it possible? 136002
  6. how to see all question and reply at one place

how to see all question and reply at one place: I asked few questions and got several links. I want to save all. Can I see all in one place. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-see-all-question-and-reply-at-one-place/8e87a366-96b5-499b-898d-7bc1eabf26e3"
  7. what are the steps to get all my pictures in one place and on one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what are the steps to get all my pictures in one place and on one drive: what are the steps to get all my pictures in one place and on one drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/what-are-the-steps-to-get-all-my-pictures-in-one/11dbd58a-ae7a-49aa-992d-a2d73404a8b8
  8. Document shortcuts not appearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Document shortcuts not appearing: Hi, a number of us have had this issue for a month or two, following some kind of update. We are finding it highly frustrating that we can no longer access recent or even specific pinned documents from the taskbar - which also applies to file explorer even more annoyingly....
  9. Shortcut to Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut to Documents: If I create a shortcut to my documents folder, or pin it to Quick Access or Start Menu, then the shortcut will take me to my Documents library, which is not what I want. (The annoyance comes from the fact that once there if I then decide to go somewhere that isn't in the...
  10. Lots of settings all in one place

in Windows 10 Support
    Lots of settings all in one place: try this > create a new folder on the desktop and name it: settings.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} then double click on this folder for easy access to lots of options.*Thumbs 11968