Windows 10: Documents and files, folders, images etc. on Desktop are still missing even after logging...

Discus and support Documents and files, folders, images etc. on Desktop are still missing even after logging... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The problem aroused on 23rd June 2020 when I switched on my laptop after a recent update. The problem was that it logged on as a Temporary Profile note... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Muanlal Ngaihte, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Documents and files, folders, images etc. on Desktop are still missing even after logging...

The problem aroused on 23rd June 2020 when I switched on my laptop after a recent update. The problem was that it logged on as a Temporary Profile note that it is Windows 10. Facing this problem for the first time, I was unaware that it was a Temporary Profile and just blamed on the new update for the missing Documents and Desktop files and folders. I tried to undo the windows update by trying to uninstall it and although I wasn't successful in uninstalling the latest Windows 10 update, I was able to uninstall a few updates of the old ones thinking that it might've helped solve it. Anyways as it wasn't the cause of the data loss, it didn't help at all.

Skipping to a few days later to 26th June, I finally figured out the root of this problem i.e. I was logged in to a temporary account and I accidentally deleted the Registry data with of my user the one with .bak and as expected, it didn't fix the problem at all. Now using system restore point I was luckily able to go back to the time before I deleted the Registry user with the extension .bak . Now I deleted the extension .bak and it fixed the problem. However, having messed things up in the past, my Documents and data on my Desktop are still missing. Please help me find a way to fix this ASAP. I have important Documents church related.

:)

Muanlal Ngaihte, Jun 28, 2020

2. Desktop files and some shortcuts missing after latest windows 10 update....

Hi there, this is not simple:

Last night while shutting down I had the latest windows 10 update.

Today when I switched on my pc, I had these changes:

• The desktop background had changed to default.
    • Cortana and Cortana's search-bar appeared.
    • All toolbar shortcuts had disappeared.
    • Toolbar did not show Language bar.
    • All browsers settings, bookmarks, codes where missing.
    • Microsoft edge was asking for configuration.
    • Almost all desktop shortcuts were missing.
    • All desktop files were missing.
    • All files in "Documents", "Pictures" etc were missing.
    I was panicked, but found all files in c/users/user/... folders and copy-paste all desktop elements and files on desktop.

After that I restarted my PC.

When it switched on again, everything was automatically back to normal (desktop pictures, documents in documents folders, toolbar, browsers, etc), and then I understood that for a reason, my pc did not log in in my user account the first time!

-BUT-

There was a big problem:

Everything was normal apart from desktop, that again
    everything was missing
    , not only from desktop, but also from c/users/user/ .. desktop folder!!!!!

I even did a search in C to find those files, but nothing appeared, and neither they are in the recycle bin.

Do you know where I might find them?

SpyrosPotidews, Jun 28, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 28, 2020
  4. sturpe Win User

Documents and files, folders, images etc. on Desktop are still missing even after logging...

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Documents and files, folders, images etc. on Desktop are still missing even after logging...

1. Documents and files, folders, images etc. on Desktop are still missing even after logging... - Similar Threads - Documents files folders

2. Desktop and documents folders empty or missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop and documents folders empty or missing: Hello, I've built a PC about 5 years ago, and finally had the need to upgrade this past week. I ended up swapping out most components, only re-using the case and fans. After my new PC was fully set up, I installed Windows 10 Pro and all applications on my new SSD. I kept my...
  3. Desktop and documents folders empty or missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop and documents folders empty or missing: Hello, I've built a PC about 5 years ago, and finally had the need to upgrade this past week. I ended up swapping out most components, only re-using the case and fans. After my new PC was fully set up, I installed Windows 10 Pro and all applications on my new SSD. I kept my...
  4. Desktop and documents folders empty or missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing: All the files in my documents folder are missing. Cannot find them anywhere. Folders inside documents folder are still there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-has-folders-inside-but-files-in/8fcd4d0f-e1ca-494d-9e80-6fce88ed458b
  6. Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing: All the files in my documents folder are missing. Cannot find them anywhere. Folders inside documents folder are still there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-has-folders-inside-but-files-in/8fcd4d0f-e1ca-494d-9e80-6fce88ed458b
  7. Documents folder has folders inside but files in main documents folder missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. New Documents still saving to a OneDrive folder even after uninstalling OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Documents still saving to a OneDrive folder even after uninstalling OneDrive: I have kind of an odd problem. The newest update 20H2 reinstalled OneDrive to my computer, and I then proceeded to uninstall it, then realized that my documents still saved under the folder C:\Users\camer\OneDrive. I did a registry fix, and successfully changed the location...
  9. Files Missing but Folders still there?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files Missing but Folders still there?: So I have a folder where I keep all my documents, pictures and videos from my camera. Everything is gone except for the folders. So say I had a folder names Camera, in the folder I had different folders for the years, and then within those where the titles of what the...
  10. Multiple Documents, etc folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Multiple Documents, etc folders: My Win7 had My Documents, My Downloads, etc setup on the D drive. The default for Win 10 after the upgrade has the C drive Users area as default. There is no location tab on the Win10 folders. How can I get the default to save to the D drive? 15663