Windows 10: Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10

Discus and support Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am looking for the folder? or maybe its a file named "Document and Settings", googling showed that either this folder no longer exists in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AltT1o, Dec 4, 2022.

1. AltT1o Win User

Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10

I am looking for the folder? or maybe its a file named "Document and Settings", googling showed that either this folder no longer exists in Windows 10 or its in C:\Users\current_user_name\Local\But this does not seems to be the case for me.I am looking for this because it took too much space on my laptop:Using Cygwin, it says that its a symbolic link to C:\Users or the Users folder as can be seen in the screenshot:Opening the Users folder of course does not show where this mysterious file/folder is.Can someone please help?, much appreciated.

:)

AltT1o, Dec 4, 2022
  2. JamesB222 Win User

Change Location of User Folders no Symlinks?

Hello,

I've changed the location of all of the possible user folders (documents, music, pictures, etc.) to a new drive in preparation for a SSD install using the locations tab in the properties of the eligible folders. I also used the copy files over to the new
    location option. Everything looks fine as far as clicking the library link in explorer correctly goes to the new locations on another drive.

What I can't seem to figure out is why windows wouldn't also create a symlink of sorts to redirect any file paths currently set in installed programs to the new locations.

For example, my outlook data files I kept in "documents". When I opened outlook it couldn't find the file because the path has changed to the new drive. But why wouldn't windows point that request to the new location? Isn't that the point? I have tons
    of programs that use files stored in my documents. I guess I could go through and update all the paths, but I would think that there should have been a symlink setup during the move process.

So a few questions I'm trying to figure out...

1.) Whats the point of moving the location through the locations tab options when I could have just copied and pasted really?

2.) Is there a way to have any file path requests of a moved folder through this process to be redirected to the new specified location (including subdirectories)? Manually make symlinks maybe?

3.) What is the difference of the locations tab change option in folder properties vs the setting app where you can change default save location? Isn't this redundant?

Thanks.

JamesB222, Dec 4, 2022
  3. Brink Win User
    Symlinks in Windows 10

Source: Symlinks in Windows 10! - Building Apps for WindowsBuilding Apps for Windows

Brink, Dec 4, 2022
  4. Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Dec 4, 2022
Thema:

Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10

1. Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10 - Similar Threads - Documents Settings symlink

2. how to locate sync settings on Win 10 for Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to locate sync settings on Win 10 for Onedrive?: how to locate sync settings on Win 10 for Onedrive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-locate-sync-settings-on-win-10-for-onedrive/3ebcfc38-05e7-41f7-b962-7bdfa72a4b37
  3. how to locate sync settings on Win 10 for Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to locate sync settings on Win 10 for Onedrive?: how to locate sync settings on Win 10 for Onedrive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-locate-sync-settings-on-win-10-for-onedrive/3ebcfc38-05e7-41f7-b962-7bdfa72a4b37
  4. how to locate sync settings on Win 10 for Onedrive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10: I am looking for the folder? or maybe its a file named "Document and Settings", googling showed that either this folder no longer exists in Windows 10 or its in C:\Users\current_user_name\Local\But this does not seems to be the case for me.I am looking for this because it...
  6. Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents and Settings symlink location wins 10: I am looking for the folder? or maybe its a file named "Document and Settings", googling showed that either this folder no longer exists in Windows 10 or its in C:\Users\current_user_name\Local\But this does not seems to be the case for me.I am looking for this because it...
  7. document location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    document location: so i unlicked my PC from one drive, but the location is still in "C:\Users\potet\OneDrive" i can not relocate it, it always tells me “” . It means "the adress has a unmovable file, cant move to this folder" i also cant write my game configs in to the document folders...
  8. Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong Location(?) of Documents folder and OneDrive problems Win 10: Hi all, MS Windows 10, Version 2004 (OS Build 1904.746) Hoping someone can help me solve a frustration I'm having... I installed Win 10 just around a year ago and I'm sure I somehow managed to move the location of my documents folder. Not much of a problem as it still...
  9. creating symlink

in Windows 10 Support
    creating symlink: using Command Prompt, only to be told that I "do not have sufficient privileges" What am I doing wrong, please? 147104
  10. Symlinks in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Symlinks in Windows 10: Overview Symlinks, or symbolic links, are “virtual” files or folders which reference a physical file or folder located elsewhere, and are an important feature built in to many operating systems, including Linux and Windows. The Windows’ NTFS file system has supported...