Windows 10: Documents/Desktop/Pictures etc. refer to same location issue

Discus and support Documents/Desktop/Pictures etc. refer to same location issue in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Sorry about the ambiguous title but I am not one hundred percent certain how to best articulate my issue. Essentially I tried to move all my Program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DanielM, Nov 2, 2018.

1. DanielM Win User

Documents/Desktop/Pictures etc. refer to same location issue

Sorry about the ambiguous title but I am not one hundred percent certain how to best articulate my issue. Essentially I tried to move all my Program Files/x86 and My Desktop/Documents/Pictures etc. from my SSD to my HDD following this tutorial:
    How to move program files to a 2nd HHD From SSD - YouTube

Somewhere along the line things got messy and now Windows can't install updates and all my Windows 10 Libraries (is that the name?) folders refer to the same place. They all have different icons, but the same subset of folders and at the moment they all refer to H:\Users\Dan\Music but when I click restore default location it goes to C:\Users\Dan\Documents automatically, for all folders, not just Documents. I have attached relevant screenshots from my registry editor and file explorer in a PDF, please let me know if there are any missing. I think I can see where the issue is but I want to get some more advanced advice before I go and tinker again.

Screenshots.pdf

If all else fails I guess I could back my stuff up and do a full restore but I'd rather amend my mistake if possible.

There are a lot of screenshots, I tried to include everything relevant but you may only need to see a handful. I realize it's a messy issue, thanks for your time guys, I really appreciate it.

:)

DanielM, Nov 2, 2018
  2. mrgeek Win User

Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

Documents/Desktop/Pictures etc. refer to same location issue [​IMG]

mrgeek, Nov 2, 2018
  3. Micah Bat Win User
    Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Nov 2, 2018
  4. Documents/Desktop/Pictures etc. refer to same location issue

Problem with default Documents/Pictures/OneDrive

Hi Kawika,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if there is change file location settings.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

• When you say that "I had set my computer to save Documents and Pictures to a specified drive", from where exactly have you save the settings?
    • Have you made any changes to the Computer prior to the issue?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator Account?

I suggest you to refer to the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Click on Start Menu and then click on Settings.

2. Click on Systems.

3. Then click on Storage.

4. Under Save Locations, change the location as
    This
    PC under New Documents will save to
    option.

Note: Likewise, try to make changes for pictures location also.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 2, 2018
Thema:

Documents/Desktop/Pictures etc. refer to same location issue

1. Documents/Desktop/Pictures etc. refer to same location issue - Similar Threads - Documents Desktop Pictures

2. HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location: Hi all,I have recently moved the location of my desktop, and pictures location from the original to d:Unfortunately, upon moving, I did not create a new photo called d:/desktop, d:/pictures etc, but I merely moved it to the root of D:Now, all my desktop files and picture...
  3. HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP! Desktop, pictures, documents folder location: Hi all,I have recently moved the location of my desktop, and pictures location from the original to d:Unfortunately, upon moving, I did not create a new photo called d:/desktop, d:/pictures etc, but I merely moved it to the root of D:Now, all my desktop files and picture...
  4. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  5. desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop, pictures, documents folder location - onedrive: Hi all,Recently I have played with onedrive big mistake in my windows 11 laptop and accidently caused a lot of issues. After 3 hours, I have fixed most but one problem.My issue now is, the pictures folder, documents and desktop folder are all now saved into the...
  6. Lost music, picture, documents, etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lost music, picture, documents, etc.: Went to work on my computer, but when I turned it on, I found an error stating I needed a disk to hard boot it! I was able to get to order of start up and got the computer to work, and everything was there 10 days ago. Yesterday, it was gone...everything. All the folders were...
  7. Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't move the location of pictures folder, as well as documents, etc.: I've been trying to move the location of these kinds of folders, but simply can't, windows tells me that there's a folder that can't be moved. I looked all over the internet for solutions, and everywhere they say to change de registry, which I did, but it didn't work. My C:/...
  8. Documents,Pictures,Desktop file location connected to one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents,Pictures,Desktop file location connected to one drive: Hello i am wondering if i get some incite on my issues, firstly i do not use onedrive always preferred other cloud services. My location of Documents,Pictures,Desktop are c/user/name/onedrive from going into my user folder i see a folder called onedrive inside including...
  9. Documentation reference

in Windows 10 Support
    Documentation reference: I built a new PC for my Father in-law He had Windows 7 on his old PC. I'm writing document for him on how to use Windows 10 and all the customizations I made. In the document I referenced this website and placed the logo from the upper left corner in the document. Of...
  10. Music & Picture - Same Location

in Windows 10 Support
    Music & Picture - Same Location: [img] Somehow, I've managed to set the location for Music & Pictures to the same location i.e. K Drive. Restoring to default locations makes no difference, or should I say that whatever change I do to Music is replicated in Pictures & visa versus. Any ideas on how...