Windows 10: Documents folder and contents completely missing

Discus and support Documents folder and contents completely missing in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My documents folder has completely vanished without explanation. It is not in the recycle bin nor are its contents, but the entire folder including all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by echo445, Dec 2, 2022.

1. echo445 Win User

Documents folder and contents completely missing

My documents folder has completely vanished without explanation. It is not in the recycle bin nor are its contents, but the entire folder including all contents is completely gone. The shortcut on the side of the File Explorer is still there, but when I click on it I get a message with the following:I did not delete the folder. I don't believe any apps or services I use could have caused this, as most of them don't even have access to files like that. My computer is a laptop, as well, so the drive isn't removable. Searching the entire Local Disc folder brings zero results of the things I had

:)

echo445, Dec 2, 2022

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Dec 2, 2022
  3. My Documents File And All Its Content Is Missing

I have never had this happen before, but my Documents folder and all its content is missing in file explorer. This has never happened to me before. The files contained in my Documents folder have been acquired over several years and the content is irreplaceable.
    Has anyone else logged on to their Windows 10 PC only to discover your Documents folder was missing? Please let me know if anyone has found a way to recover your lost Documents folder and its content.

gentlefootprint, Dec 2, 2022
  4. marinro Win User

Folder Freeze when trying to click on a Word Document. HELP

Hi there,

I came across a very weird bug/issue.

Use Case

Step 1: Create a word document on Desktop and name it TestFreeze

Step 2: Test that you can open the word document and write something like 'Testing freeze folder' ->save it

Step 3: Create a folder on Desktop and name it FreezeMe

Step 4: Copy 'TestFreeze' document in the 'FreezeMe' folder

Step 5: Open the 'FreezeMe' folder and select/click 'TestFreeze' document

Result: Folder Not Responding

Additional Information

I have run some tests and it does not matter:

• if it is a new or old Microsoft word file
    • if the document has content in it or not
    • if it has a long/short name or special characters
    • it does not matter the folder or the name of the folder in which you put the file in
    I also tried with an excel file and seems that I do not experience the same issue.

Microsoft version: 16.0.9330.2073

Windows version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 with all updates up to date

If there is anything else I can provide to help sort this out, please do let me know.

Opened to any suggestions on how to fix this, as it is very frustrating.

Thanks

marinro, Dec 2, 2022
Thema:

1. Documents folder and contents completely missing - Similar Threads - Documents folder contents

2. Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder: Hi there,Upon returning to my laptop after a few hours, I noticed that a program stored in my documents folder wasn't launching. I looked in Documents and all of the contents except for 2 folders I used today are now gone and transferred to OneDrive even though I usually...
  3. Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder: Hi there,Upon returning to my laptop after a few hours, I noticed that a program stored in my documents folder wasn't launching. I looked in Documents and all of the contents except for 2 folders I used today are now gone and transferred to OneDrive even though I usually...
  4. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New content appearing in wrong documents folder: I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D --...
  5. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

New content appearing in wrong documents folder: I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D --...
  6. Documents folder and contents completely missing

Documents folder and contents completely missing: My documents folder has completely vanished without explanation. It is not in the recycle bin nor are its contents, but the entire folder including all contents is completely gone. The shortcut on the side of the File Explorer is still there, but when I click on it I get a...
  7. Documents contents in Document folder completely missing in 1st local admin account after...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Documents contents in Document folder completely missing in 1st local admin account after...: I will be most appreciative for advice on how to recover Documents folder only from 1 particular windows 10 account . I had 2 local admin accounts. The account which i am asking for help is the one created during windows 10 setup . Let's call this account A I deposited...
  8. Missing 'Documents' folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Missing 'Documents' folder: I just booted up my new PC with an SSD primary drive and a secondary HDD for storage. I was attempting to relocate my default user folders (Documents, Downloads, Music, etc) to the HDD and somehow screwed it up. I started with the Documents folder and realized I had messed...
  9. Lost documents folder contents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost documents folder contents: Hi, after an automatic Windows 10 update all my documents vanished from the Documents folder - I now believe this was because a temporary profile was set up. Unfortunately I found my documents and returned them to the "new" documents folder. After re-booting, the temporary...
  10. Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed

in Windows 10 Support
    Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed: I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with a SSD. I'm keeping many files on an external USB hard drive. I had included the external drive's Documents folder in my Documents library. The File Explorer displayed files and folders on both the internal SSD and the external drive...