Windows 10: Documents folder disappeared from "users" but still shows as being located in that path

Discus and support Documents folder disappeared from "users" but still shows as being located in that path in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For some reason the "Documents" folder does not show in the path: WindowsC:>Users>"username", even though the folder is located there. I can find the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by joshp333, Oct 31, 2020.

1. joshp333 Win User

Documents folder disappeared from "users" but still shows as being located in that path

For some reason the "Documents" folder does not show in the path: WindowsC:>Users>"username", even though the folder is located there. I can find the "Documents" folder under "This PC" or "Libraries", and when I check Properties>Location, it shows it as being located there C:\Users\username\Documents.

I've checked and it's not hidden. But if I try to add a new folder titled "Documents" to the same folder, it says that folder already exists.

I'm posting a picture below, which shows that the folder doesn't show in the users folder but Properties>Location says the folder exists in that location. Any thoughts or help is much appreciated.

Documents folder disappeared from "users" but still shows as being located in that path f4ceb5dc-a270-4e69-a64f-d411af7daf9f?upload=true.png

:)

joshp333, Oct 31, 2020
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Oct 31, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Oct 31, 2020
  4. fuelsguy Win User

Documents folder disappeared from "users" but still shows as being located in that path

Documents folders moved to another location

To Answer your questions:

Issue started Wednesday after another user has spent a lot of time moving and sorting a lot of photographs. Don't know if this had anything to do with the problem.

Earlier problems: no, PC has been working fine for a long time.

No error messages other than from Outlook which alerted me to the problem. Other applications have lost their lists of recent files. Example, Word, if I open Word and go to files, I get a list of recent files, all saved in Library\Documents\folder\file name.
    If I click on a file I get an error message Directory name not valid.

Pointers; I think of windows having files in one place but pointers located in other places. these may be shortcuts in windows-speak.

Follow up,

I did copy the folders and files in the "Documents save folder" to the E: hard drive. Checking properties, the file location just show as E:\ . I copied the folders and files from the E: drive to the library\documents folder on C: thinking the files would
    show the location as C:\ Users\name\Documents but the files all reverted to C:\Users\name\Document save folder\documents\file name.

Tried the cut and paste suggestion. Copied the folders and files from E: to D: drive as a backup.

Cut the folders and files from D: and pasted them in Library\Documents. Took a long time to paste files but the location still shows as C:\Users\name\Document save folder\documents\file name.

So I still don't have a way of relocating the folders and files back to Library\Documents so the applications can find files.

fuelsguy, Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Documents folder disappeared from "users" but still shows as being located in that path - Similar Threads - Documents folder disappeared

2. Windows search is still showing the path of folders of deleted Renamed or deleted user...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search is still showing the path of folders of deleted Renamed or deleted user...: I have had installed a SSD to my laptop and the problem is that the person who installed this new SSD changed the permission of security or ownership to SSD from HDD and changed the profile in HDD from "91995" to "main" and copied the data i guess and now in windows search...
  3. Windows search is still showing the path of folders of deleted Renamed or deleted user...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search is still showing the path of folders of deleted Renamed or deleted user...: I have had installed a SSD to my laptop and the problem is that the person who installed this new SSD changed the permission of security or ownership to SSD from HDD and changed the profile in HDD from "91995" to "main" and copied the data i guess and now in windows search...
  4. Windows search is still showing the path of folders of deleted Renamed or deleted user...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files in folder "Documents" C:\Users\NAME\Documents disappeared / folder empty

Files in folder "Documents" C:\Users\NAME\Documents disappeared / folder empty: Hello to everyone, I'd really be grateful for any help on this issue - thank you very much!The problem:Two days ago, while my laptop was running i.e. not after a Windows Update reboot, all files in all subfolders located in C:\Users\NAME\Documents have disappeared "This...
  6. Files in folder "Documents" C:\Users\NAME\Documents disappeared / folder empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files in folder "Documents" C:\Users\NAME\Documents disappeared / folder empty: Hello to everyone, I'd really be grateful for any help on this issue - thank you very much!The problem:Two days ago, while my laptop was running i.e. not after a Windows Update reboot, all files in all subfolders located in C:\Users\NAME\Documents have disappeared "This...
  7. Files in folder "Documents" C:\Users\NAME\Documents disappeared / folder empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Folder has disappeared from Documents

Folder has disappeared from Documents: A folder has disappeared from Documents. How can I recover it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folder-has-disappeared-from-documents/fc93dbf9-81f8-44d9-ba1b-c8576bdad0de
  9. OneDrive & documents folder seem to have each other's folder path location.

OneDrive & documents folder seem to have each other's folder path location.: I have bought a new computer. In File Explorer it has its usual Windows C: Drive and I have a Storage Drive D:. My aim is to put my library files Documents, Pictures etc. in storage on Storage Drive D:. Before I can do that, I have noticed an anomaly that needs fixing...
  10. Folder has disappeared from Documents Folder

Folder has disappeared from Documents Folder: Logged onto my Microsoft computer today and the most important folder in my Documents folder has disappeared. The whole folder including all the documents is gone. When I go into another application like Word and look at the recent documents I can find a document that was in...