Windows 10: Documents folder is set to readonly attrib -r returns permission denied

Discus and support Documents folder is set to readonly attrib -r returns permission denied in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My C:\Users\Name\Documents folder is set to readonly. I tried attrib -r in an admin command prompt but it always returns permission denied. Any ideas?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarkcusD, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MarkcusD Win User

Documents folder is set to readonly attrib -r returns permission denied

My C:\Users\Name\Documents folder is set to readonly. I tried attrib -r in an admin command prompt but it always returns permission denied. Any ideas?

:)

MarkcusD, Jan 31, 2019
  2. Gordie Z Win User

What are the default attributes for the Windows 10 "Documents" folder?

Thanks for everyone's help.

I applied attrib -S -I +R "...username\documents" to the "Documents" folder and now attrib "...username\documents" simply returns "R," which seems to be the right attribute seeing other Windows "Documents" folders only have the "R" attribute. So, I think
    we can mark this closed. Thanks again!

Gordie Z, Jan 31, 2019
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Unable to access a folder, it denies permission

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with permission.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.1. Is the issue specific with a particular folder?

2. What is the complete error message?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Permission issue.

• Corrupt User Account.

• Damaged files.

I suggest you to try the steps under the section Issue 1:
    I get an "Access Denied" error message when accessing or working with files and folders
    in the following article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Note:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. You may need to be logged on as an administrator to change file and folder permissions.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jan 31, 2019
  4. Gordie Z Win User

What are the default attributes for the Windows 10 "Documents" folder?

Jessen and Ramesh,

Thank you for the comments. It sounds like I do need to at least switch to +R. But i'm wondering how we know ONLY "R" is set by default? Is it documented somewhere? Did you run
    attrib "%userprofile%\documents" to see what attributes it reported for "Documents"?

attrib -S -H +R "%userprofile%\documents" will result in ATTRIB "%userprofile%\documents" returning "R I." Is the "Documents" folder not content indexed by default?

Jessen, Ramesh, or other Win10 Users,

Please indulge me and run attrib "%userprofile%\documents" on Win 10 (assuming you haven't modified your "Documents" folder) or provide a link defining the default attributes (including the extended attribute "I") for the "Documents" folder.
    Thank you for working with me on this.

Gordie_Z

Gordie Z, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Documents folder is set to readonly attrib -r returns permission denied - Similar Threads - Documents folder set

2. Cannot open folder, permission denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open folder, permission denied: Hey all. I have a very annoying issue I've run into for different folders. When trying to read reports/log dumps in ProgramData, I get "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." I click continue to gain access, and then another popup says "You have been...
  3. Cannot open folder, permission denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open folder, permission denied: Hey all. I have a very annoying issue I've run into for different folders. When trying to read reports/log dumps in ProgramData, I get "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." I click continue to gain access, and then another popup says "You have been...
  4. windowsapps folder permissions denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windowsapps folder permissions denied: I tried the method with security and change Owner but it doesnt work at all. I keeps saying "You have been denied permission to access this folder" I only want to change a game's path without downloading over 100 gb again...
  5. windowsapps folder permissions denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windowsapps folder permissions denied: I tried the method with security and change Owner but it doesnt work at all. I keeps saying "You have been denied permission to access this folder" I only want to change a game's path without downloading over 100 gb again...
  6. windowsapps folder permissions denied

7. Permission denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Permission denied: I am not able to use anything on my pc except the browser everytime I click on something it says permission denied and you don't specific path and u don't have app associated with it I am not able to use click on window search window button my computer only thing. Is working...
  8. Permission denied

Permission denied: I am not able to use anything on my pc except the browser everytime I click on something it says permission denied and you don't specific path and u don't have app associated with it I am not able to use click on window search window button my computer only thing. Is working...
  9. Some FOLDER objects, eg Documents, have the ReadOnly Attribute set

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Some FOLDER objects, eg Documents, have the ReadOnly Attribute set: Can anyone shed light on the "ReadOnly" attribute when applied to a FOLDER object? and also Can anyone enumerate all the possible values of the Folder.Type property? From the code & results below you can see interesting correlations – or absences of same e.g. Docs, Pics,...
  10. Access Denied Documents Folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Access Denied Documents Folder: I have a gaming mouse which is being denied access to my documents folder, I had some kind of issue like this before. . My security settings have given me occasional issue in the past. My only real concern is this program loads at start, I want it granted access to do...