Windows 10: Documents Folder Read-Only

Discus and support Documents Folder Read-Only in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. My Documents folder in my C Drive/Users/User/Documents is stuck as read-only. I have unchecked the box in properties and hit apply, however it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Liam_JB, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Liam_JB Win User

Documents Folder Read-Only

Hi.

My Documents folder in my C Drive/Users/User/Documents is stuck as read-only. I have unchecked the box in properties and hit apply, however it resets itself as read-only once I close the window. I have full administrator access yet this problem remains.

:)

Liam_JB, Jul 17, 2020

2. Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jul 17, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 17, 2020
  4. BP.
    BP. Win User

Document folders marked read only after upgrade to Windows 10

The thing that worked for me was to go to my Bitdefender icon, click on Protected Features, then Protected Folders, then remove Documents from the list. Turns out that my antivirus protection was making my
    personal documents read only (nice that they are watching out, but that was getting TOO overprotective). Not sure if the same thing is happening to others with regard to their antivirus software, but once I removed
    Documents from the antivirus scan list, I tried saving a change to a document that was previously stuck in read only and it saved!

Thema:

1. Documents Folder Read-Only - Similar Threads - Documents Folder Read

2. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read Only - Documents: How do I get my documents folder out of Read Only? I have tried going into properties and unchecking the Read Only, then apply but it is still saying Read Only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/3a734612-b28b-4453-ae9b-32314aceb64f
  3. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read Only - Documents: How do I get my documents folder out of Read Only? I have tried going into properties and unchecking the Read Only, then apply but it is still saying Read Only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/3a734612-b28b-4453-ae9b-32314aceb64f
  4. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Read-only documents

Read-only documents: When I attempt to save new documents in Word 2019, the "read-only" check box is always selected. How do I change my file properties, so that all my new documents can be edited, and/or deleted?...
  6. Can't Change Documents Folder Out of Read-Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Change Documents Folder Out of Read-Only: My Documents folder has suddenly declared itself Read-Only (I did nothing to change permissions) and I cannot change it. I have tried the File Explorer/Documents/Properties/Security/Advanced/Change Permissions and Change Owner. Panel does nothing but re-display with change...
  7. read only documents

read only documents: After upgrading to Windows 10 and restoring my documents they are now all read-only. how can I reverse this so I can open and edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/29e2e95a-8c1e-4484-ada3-56d06e2b487f"
  8. read only document

read only document: How do I change my document from a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-document/1a578271-3dea-4ac2-aed1-3a6b1f0634ea"
  9. Read-only documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Read-only documents: I am frustrated when opening a document and it had defaulted to read-only. I would like to remove that feature permanently. I don't always find the need to protect my documents by read-only. Is there a way to change this? I can change it but it won't stay; I find that the...
  10. Read only Documents

Read only Documents: Hello, all my documents in any of my Microsoft office programs are "READ ONLY" and "UPLOAD BLOCKED cannot verify necessary permissions". I haven't changed any settings or anything and all of the sudden this keeps popping up. I need help settings all Microsoft programs...