Windows 10: Documents folder shows both in and out of OneDrive folder, as well as in a "library"

Discus and support Documents folder shows both in and out of OneDrive folder, as well as in a "library" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why does file explorer show my Documents folder both in OneDrive (where it really exists) and in my home folder (where it does not really exist)? And... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bertilak, May 26, 2019.

1. Bertilak Win User

Documents folder shows both in and out of OneDrive folder, as well as in a "library"

Why does file explorer show my Documents folder both in OneDrive (where it really exists) and in my home folder (where it does not really exist)? And what is this library thing that also has a redundant way of accessing the Documents folder?

In other words,

1. if I go to C:\Users\<myname> there is no Documents folder, BUT
    2. if click on my home directory icon on the desktop it DOES show me a Documents folder, an apparent conflict with number 1.
    3. If I look at Libraries I see a Documents Library that contains the same Documents folder, an apparent redundancy.

This folder is actually in (and only in) my OneDrive folder. If I put a file in any of those places it shows up in all places, so it's really all the same place.

Are there multiple, unrelated, concepts conspiring to obfuscate things to the point where I might inadvertently delete something I shouldn't?

:)

Bertilak, May 26, 2019
  2. HairyFool Win User

Library Folders and Onedrive

Keith

I have now done the Location Move on the folders affected

One change has shown up. Previously even though a Folder location was changed the original folder remained, you suggested deleting it after removing it from the Library. In the past I have left it where it was to allow programs that refer to the Documents
    folder via the UNC path to still have somewhere to drop files.

However after the move I found the Library now only had one path listed (in OneDrive) and it had been removed from the original location. So the result is as you suggested but I didn't have to do it.

I know there was an issue with build 1809 deleting files when it removed the folder (there were none in mine anyway) but this computer is build 1803.

HairyFool, May 26, 2019
  3. Micah Bat Win User
    Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Hi,

Since changing the settings of OneDrive didn't set the auto save to "This PC" folder, we would suggest you to change the file path of your
    Documents on your Libraries folder. Changing the file path to "C:\Users\YourPCName\Documents" will use your local storage as your default folder when saving files. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click View
    • Click Navigation pane
    • Click Show libraries
    • On the Navigation pane, click Libraries folder.
    • Right-click Documents (Under the Libraries) folder.
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location tab
    • Then choose "C:\Users\YourPCName\Documents"
    • Click Set save location and then, click
      Apply
    • Click OK

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, May 26, 2019
  4. CP2009 Win User

Documents folder shows both in and out of OneDrive folder, as well as in a "library"

Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Thank you for the quick response, Micah.

My documents are already being saved to 'This PC only'.

The Documents folder in the libraries is correct (local drive).

The Documents folder in the quick access area is correct (local drive).

The only thing that is incorrect is the documents folder under 'This PC'?

Also is 'winhelponline.com' affiliated with Microsoft?

Thanks again

CP2009, May 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Documents folder shows both in and out of OneDrive folder, as well as in a "library" - Similar Threads - Documents folder shows

2. Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive: Hello,I've been trying to move my documents folder out of my OneDrive I am on my laptop, and I accidentally let it sync everything in my documents folder on my laptop and desktop. I turned off all the backups in the OneDrive app, made sure everything required in the registry...
  3. Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot move documents folder out of OneDrive: Hello,I've been trying to move my documents folder out of my OneDrive I am on my laptop, and I accidentally let it sync everything in my documents folder on my laptop and desktop. I turned off all the backups in the OneDrive app, made sure everything required in the registry...
  4. Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder: Hi there,Upon returning to my laptop after a few hours, I noticed that a program stored in my documents folder wasn't launching. I looked in Documents and all of the contents except for 2 folders I used today are now gone and transferred to OneDrive even though I usually...
  5. Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder: Hi there,Upon returning to my laptop after a few hours, I noticed that a program stored in my documents folder wasn't launching. I looked in Documents and all of the contents except for 2 folders I used today are now gone and transferred to OneDrive even though I usually...
  6. How OneDrive backs up library folders like Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    How OneDrive backs up library folders like Documents: I just activated OneDrive on my Windows 10 1803 laptop. The main reason I am interested is the new feature that allows one to backup key library folders such as Documents. However, I am trying to determine if, in selecting that option, will OneDrive then move the Documents...
  7. How to get Documents folder out of OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get Documents folder out of OneDrive?: Hi, I am trying to move my Documents and music folders from the C drive to a micro 128GB extra storage to use less space on the 28GB C drive in the Lenovo mini Laptop. However, I run up against a error warning telling I can't do that. Here is the message: "The folder...
  8. Move Library Folders to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Library Folders to OneDrive: I seem to have a basic misunderstanding of the process to move folders to OneDrive. I've followed all the directions that I've found and can't seem to get the locations moved. When I attempt to select a new location it simply keeps coming back to the "New Location"...
  9. Misplaced hidden library folders in Documents folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    Misplaced hidden library folders in Documents folder?: Hello When unchecking the "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and selecting "Show hidden folders, files and drives" in the Folder Options, I can see My Music, My Pictures and My videos library folders appearing in my Documents folder. I have Windows 10 Pro...
  10. OneDrive documents folder and the real documents folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive documents folder and the real documents folder.: I didn't find an answer to this exact question. Windows 10 Home 1511 x64 clean install. In the left pane of File Explorer there is a Documents folder which points to my OneDrive folder and contains almost nothing (just a few folders that programs created). Under my username...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. document folder on both pc and onedrive

2. why does file path to documents have onedrive