Windows 10: documents folder

Discus and support documents folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I first installed W10, I had to go through all the questions posed. I thought they would be the standard "I agree" type. But one I quickly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BobTrotterRipley, Jan 12, 2019.

1. documents folder

When I first installed W10, I had to go through all the questions posed.

I thought they would be the standard "I agree" type.

But one I quickly okayed was not, and when I thought about it later, I wondered if I had made a mistake. And I had.

I mistakenly put my user-type documents on my D: drive, where I have all data extraneous to the OS. That includes pics, music, etc.

One of the main folders is for docs only generated by a program I used daily. But W10 installs docs for newly installed programs there, such as for Studio, OnLine Bible, etc.

In addition, with each update, W10 changes the name of the folder "b" to "Documents". I don't want any docs from other programs placed there, and I don't want W10 to continue changing the folder name.

I think this is probably a registry issue, and that it can be changed there.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I don't want to reinstall W10, which I think would result in more problems than I want to deal with.

Thanks.

:)

BobTrotterRipley, Jan 12, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 12, 2019
  3. Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 12, 2019
  4. Micah Bat Win User

documents folder

Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

documents folder

1. documents folder - Similar Threads - documents folder

2. why did you change the folder icons to look like document icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why did you change the folder icons to look like document icons?: I can no longer quickly see the folder tree with everything looking like a document file. This is very inefficient and frustrating. Plus when I try to change the icon to the old filter - it does not change in details. This is unacceptable! We the paying customers should have...
  3. why did you change the folder icons to look like document icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why did you change the folder icons to look like document icons?: I can no longer quickly see the folder tree with everything looking like a document file. This is very inefficient and frustrating. Plus when I try to change the icon to the old filter - it does not change in details. This is unacceptable! We the paying customers should have...
  4. mspaint.exe attempting to access a documents folder.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mspaint.exe attempting to access a documents folder.: Why is Paint trying to access a documents folder? That I don't even use? I might have overlooked this if it was the "Pictures" folder I also never use, but it wasn't. I'm amazed that Defender even told me this happened. Makes me wonder what is he doing behind the scenes...
  5. mspaint.exe attempting to access a documents folder.

mspaint.exe attempting to access a documents folder.: Why is Paint trying to access a documents folder? That I don't even use? I might have overlooked this if it was the "Pictures" folder I also never use, but it wasn't. I'm amazed that Defender even told me this happened. Makes me wonder what is he doing behind the scenes...
  6. Why my system auto saves all folders/files on desktop and documents folder from my D drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my system auto saves all folders/files on desktop and documents folder from my D drive?: Why my system auto saves all folders/files on desktop and documents folder from my D drive. If I delete the file from desktop, it deletes the file from original location too....
  7. Why my system auto saves all folders/files on desktop and documents folder from my D drive?

Why my system auto saves all folders/files on desktop and documents folder from my D drive?: Why my system auto saves all folders/files on desktop and documents folder from my D drive. If I delete the file from desktop, it deletes the file from original location too....
  8. [Onedrive Issue] How do I Keep game files local but sync everything else in documents folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Onedrive Issue] How do I Keep game files local but sync everything else in documents folder?: I have a issue with OneDrive. I am a gamer and I'm using Windows 11 Pro. The problem I have is that games I play creates a folder in "Documents" for all my saved data for that particular game. I am unable to modify the folder directory for the saved data. Due to how OneDrive...
  9. [Onedrive Issue] How do I Keep game files local but sync everything else in documents folder?

[Onedrive Issue] How do I Keep game files local but sync everything else in documents folder?: I have a issue with OneDrive. I am a gamer and I'm using Windows 11 Pro. The problem I have is that games I play creates a folder in "Documents" for all my saved data for that particular game. I am unable to modify the folder directory for the saved data. Due to how OneDrive...
  10. OneDrive Documents folder is not successfully restored to Default after unlinking - how to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive Documents folder is not successfully restored to Default after unlinking - how to...: In Windows 11, I was not signed into One Drive, I did not want to use it to backup my Documents folder.I only discovered by accident that my documents folder was contained inside the One Drive Drive path. I attempted to restore defaults but that generated an error message....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. go to documents folder

2. documents folder