Windows 10: documents folder

Discus and support documents folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I first installed W10, I had to go through all the questions posed. I thought they would be the standard "I agree" type. But one I quickly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BobTrotterRipley, Jan 12, 2019.

1. documents folder

When I first installed W10, I had to go through all the questions posed.

I thought they would be the standard "I agree" type.

But one I quickly okayed was not, and when I thought about it later, I wondered if I had made a mistake. And I had.

I mistakenly put my user-type documents on my D: drive, where I have all data extraneous to the OS. That includes pics, music, etc.

One of the main folders is for docs only generated by a program I used daily. But W10 installs docs for newly installed programs there, such as for Studio, OnLine Bible, etc.

In addition, with each update, W10 changes the name of the folder "b" to "Documents". I don't want any docs from other programs placed there, and I don't want W10 to continue changing the folder name.

I think this is probably a registry issue, and that it can be changed there.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I don't want to reinstall W10, which I think would result in more problems than I want to deal with.

Thanks.

:)

BobTrotterRipley, Jan 12, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jan 12, 2019
  3. Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jan 12, 2019
  4. Micah Bat Win User

documents folder

Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

documents folder

1. documents folder - Similar Threads - documents folder

2. Documents folder stuck under OneDrive and shows error when moved to folder 'Users\(myname)'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder stuck under OneDrive and shows error when moved to folder 'Users\(myname)': [ATTACH] I think I accidentally agreed to have OneDrive in my laptop when setting up my laptop. When I realized my 'Documents' folder is under OneDrive instead of 'Users\name', I uninstalled OneDrive through control panel. I thought it will undo all the mess and return it...
  3. Unable to delete files or folders in my Documents folder using File Explorer on a Windows 10 PC

Unable to delete files or folders in my Documents folder using File Explorer on a Windows 10 PC: All of I sudden when I select a file or folder in my Documents folder using File Explorer on my Windows 10 PC with Office 365 Home (which just received updates on Tuesday March 12) and click on the red "Delete" X or right click and then left-click on "Delete" in the small...
  4. I have Sim 4 game so I have a sims folder in my documents and

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have Sim 4 game so I have a sims folder in my documents and: I have Sim 4 game so I have a sims folder in my documents and one drive saves these files automatically and I want none of it saved or synced. How do I stop this? I do not even want it touched by making a folder to be in OneDrive folders....
  5. Icons missing, unable to access documents folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons missing, unable to access documents folder: Hi all, I was recently following some steps online for fixing a game i was using, and in the process went into my documents folder and deleted the onedrive file inside. Since doing that I was unable to access the documents folder and most of my computer icons dissapeared. I...
  6. How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to add "Documents" folder to File History backup: I don't need a complete backup of my hard drive...just specific files, etc. - like my Documents, Pictures, etc....any way to do this with the "File History" backup option?...
  7. Documents folder location reverts back to defaults after 1809 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder location reverts back to defaults after 1809 update: I have my Documents folder relocated to the D: Data drive to save space on my 128Gb SSD drive which is my system drive. I used the Documents folders properties location tab to do this. After the feature update through Windows Update from 1803 to 1809..now under C:\Users the...
  8. My Documents folder name changed when I synched it to Onedrive

My Documents folder name changed when I synched it to Onedrive: I have a brand new machine that I'm just now getting set up after my old machine crashed. When I was initially setting up my Onedrive, I didn't realize that I was syncing the files I'd already uploaded to Onedrive back onto the new machine. Afterwards, as best as I can...
  9. My C:\ Documents folder is permanently set to read only

My C:\ Documents folder is permanently set to read only: Hello, I don't know how long my files have been like this but I noticed that my entire c:\ is set to read only. I've gone through the steps to give myself permission to literally everything, however my Documents are still are read only and when I uncheck it in Properties it...
  10. OneDrive and two PCs Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive and two PCs Documents Folder: Hello, I have an older Dell All-inOne PC running windows 10. I keep most of my files in the - This PC\ Documents folder. I started using oneDrive to backup my Documents folder. I think when I set this up I just copied the This PC\Documents folder to OnDrive so I now have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. documents folder