Windows 10: Documents sent to printer just vanish unless printer is power cycled

Discus and support Documents sent to printer just vanish unless printer is power cycled in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two printers, one of which is an Epson Artisan 1430 (very new, installed with current drivers and current firmware) and one of which is a Canon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Werehatrack, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Documents sent to printer just vanish unless printer is power cycled

I have two printers, one of which is an Epson Artisan 1430 (very new, installed with current drivers and current firmware) and one of which is a Canon iP6000D (very old, with old, unsupported drivers), and both of them frequently will not actually print anything unless I turn the printer off and back on first. The system thinks the doc went to the printer, but it's landing in the bitbucket instead. This behavior began several months ago, and was not present for at least the first several months after the 10 upgrade.

In both cases, when the symptom crops up, the system and printers may have been on continuously with no sleep, power-off or other reboot (that I know about) for as little as 4 hours since the last doc printed, or as much as several days. If the system has rebooted, the problem becomes *slightly* more likely but not certain. When it happens, usually both printers are impacted. (I have not consistently tested it, but so far it appears that when one needs a power-off/on cycle, the other will as well.) When the problem is present, a document sent to the printer pops up in the queue list barely long enough to read the job description, and then it's *gone*; the system apparently thinks it went to the printer successfully, as no error message is presented.

So far, I have found precisely zero mention of anything relevant to this problem anywhere. I've got the hyperannoying (and incredibly TJFS) "automatic printer mismanagement" feature turned off, and I have tried both disabling spooling and reloading the drivers; neither of those had any effect at all.

Since I have a workaround, this isn't a desperate situation, but I would really like to get it stomped, as the old Canon is my main postage printing machine, and I get just *ONE* reprint of a label allowed if it doesn't print correctly the first time. Yes, I could send all of the postage program's output to the PDF generator, but that is a more cumbersome process than I really want to deal with. And since one of the impacted printers is very new, it seems far more likely that this is a system issue than a specific-driver bug, but when there's apparently only one user reporting it (me) all bets are at unfavorable odds.

:)

Werehatrack, Oct 4, 2016

2. My HP Envy 5530 printer says it is online and ready to print. But when I go to print something my pc says it is offline

I have this problem too. I don't believe it is a driver issue, meaning it isn't a non-current driver or corrupted install. Mine will appear online after a variable amount of time and this causes issues with meeting time sensitive filing deadlines. (ie.
    needing to print a quick form and jog out to a meeting... You may have to wait a bit.) The scanner functionality will

also drop out after a varied amount of time.

I think Windows 10 printer service is timing out after not communicating with the device for a period of time and instead of attempting to reconnect it waits for the thing to say it's there.

My HP Envy 5530 did a firmware update yesterday, 1/27/2016, and the issue is apparently worse than it was before. The delay between when you sent a document to the printer and Windows 10 detecting the printer and printing the document is actually longer.
    It took 20 minutes to finally get my document to the printer. It use to only take at most 5 minutes.

The thing I find disturbing is that in these instances the network connection to the printer shows, 'Secured'. This tells me the devices are connected, but the device will still be identified as offline by the printer service.

I don't scan enough documents to describe the scanner functionality. I just get the pop-up message letting me know that scanning has become unavailable.

Cycling power to the printer and restarting is only helpful, some of the time.

Jason.Hamilton, Oct 4, 2016
  3. Use to bring up what was printing and do restarts and cancel how do i bring this up in windows 10

the top of the window that opens up on windows 7 is "printer document view"

then it list the documents that have been sent to printer

CharlieAllgood, Oct 4, 2016
  4. Documents sent to printer just vanish unless printer is power cycled

Update: The problem can be present on just one of the printers and not the other(s), it can definitely appear without having had the system restart, and it has now also appeared on the third connected printer, an Epson RX595. All three printers are USB-connected direct to ports on this system; no network issues should be involved. The power profile is set to keep this system from sleeping or hibernating; it runs 24/7. The most frequent appearances of the problem are with the 1430 and the iP6000D; the RX595 has been pretty much free of this issue. The fact that power-cycling the *printer* provides a workaround is just weird.

Werehatrack, Oct 5, 2016
Thema:

Documents sent to printer just vanish unless printer is power cycled

1. Documents sent to printer just vanish unless printer is power cycled - Similar Threads - Documents sent printer

2. PRINTER JUST SPINS, hp 740 PRINTER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PRINTER JUST SPINS, hp 740 PRINTER: HAVE WINDOWS 11 AND PRINTER JUST SPINS, hp 740 PRINTER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-just-spins-hp-740-printer/b20741c1-f1f5-43a0-8eeb-5f1ebb363fd6
  3. PRINTER JUST SPINS, hp 740 PRINTER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PRINTER JUST SPINS, hp 740 PRINTER: HAVE WINDOWS 11 AND PRINTER JUST SPINS, hp 740 PRINTER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-just-spins-hp-740-printer/b20741c1-f1f5-43a0-8eeb-5f1ebb363fd6
  4. Printer won't Input multiple documents in printer queue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer won't Input multiple documents in printer queue: Our office owns this Fujitsu Lifebook T725 device running Windows 10 Pro. This device has 1 Admin and 1 user account. When i try to print multiple word documents saved in the user or Admin account, only one will be added to the queue and print.Things i tried to fix this:1. I...
  5. Printer won't Input multiple documents in printer queue

Printer won't Input multiple documents in printer queue: Our office owns this Fujitsu Lifebook T725 device running Windows 10 Pro. This device has 1 Admin and 1 user account. When i try to print multiple word documents saved in the user or Admin account, only one will be added to the queue and print.Things i tried to fix this:1. I...
  6. How is on able to enlarge text sent to printer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How is on able to enlarge text sent to printer?: Hi all. I am assisting a client, an 82 year old with macular degeneration, which affects his eyesight. We have figured how to enlarge the text on the screen, but it has no impact on printing, and he unable to read what's printed out, as the printed text is too small. How is...
  7. How is on able to enlarge text sent to printer?

How is on able to enlarge text sent to printer?: Hi all. I am assisting a client, an 82 year old with macular degeneration, which affects his eyesight. We have figured how to enlarge the text on the screen, but it has no impact on printing, and he unable to read what's printed out, as the printed text is too small. How is...
  8. printer will not print a microsoft document

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printer will not print a microsoft document: Printer will not print a microsoft document. No problem printing anything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-will-not-print-a-microsoft-document/42b1bcd8-9fdd-4d78-804c-5eaae7caaad9
  9. My Printer will not power on.

My Printer will not power on.: My printer will not power on. I have tried several power outlets that other devices work on, but my HP Office Jet 8022 will not. I have also tried another power cord that works with my other printer, but my 8022 will still not turn on. I have tried running a trouble shoot,...
  10. Printing sent to non-default printer

Printing sent to non-default printer: Hi, I'm running a win10 Pro system. When I try to print a file, the default printer is shown. Though, the document isn't sent to my default print (Brother MFC-430W Printer). Instead it shows up as a piece waiting in the queue of Foxit Editor PDF Printer (which shows in my...