Windows 10: documents vs mydocuments and publicdocuments What? Why? How? When?

Discus and support documents vs mydocuments and publicdocuments What? Why? How? When? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm wanting to learn some history and fill in some gaps in my general knowledge and experiences using Window over the years. I would like to know all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BadBernie, Feb 4, 2020.

1. BadBernie Win User

documents vs mydocuments and publicdocuments What? Why? How? When?

I'm wanting to learn some history and fill in some gaps in my general knowledge and experiences using Window over the years.
    I would like to know all about what those Mydocuments, Mypictures, My[etc] folders are for. What are they? Why did they suddenly appear way back when Windows was young? What extensions of the concept are there besides Publicdocuments, etc.? Will new ones be created in future versions of Window 10?
    Not knowing the answers, I have never looked into the issue of taking advantage of them to do anything. Early on, my interest in them all but disappeared when I tried to investigate them on my PC only to find that I had no permissions to access them. My conclusions were: 1) the system must need them for something, but I sure don't; and 2) it will be really interesting to learn what they are all about if their names say they are mine, but I have no permissions to them on my own system without making changes to the way the system created them from nowhere without my explicit "permission".
    Now that I am a really old guy with a lot of time on my hands, and have never been aware of any problems caused by my ignorance of them, my curiosity about them is greater than ever.
    This is all very low priority. I still don't know of why I may ever need to use them. Sharing other public folder files locally and on my LAN has never been an issue for me.
    My apologies for such a long post for a simple question. I did lots of searches before posting, but with no success. If there is a better place where this thread should be moved, that's ok with me.
    I'll be grateful for any info I can get to help me educate myself.
    Thanks,

** I can use all the help I can get **

:)

BadBernie, Feb 4, 2020

2. Document names uploaded via web interface are auto prepended with "MyDocuments"

On my wife and my phones when uploading a document via the web interface, it will prepend "Mydocuments" to the file name.

Example.

Baby-names.pdf gets changed to MydocumentsBaby-names.pdf

and is put at the root of the phones internal storage instead of in "My Documents"

Creating a Mobile Word document does not put the file in a location that the My Phone sync service auto sync's. Might be a good idea if it did.

Loving the service though

Thanks for all your hard work MS

BrandonLive, Feb 4, 2020
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 4, 2020
  4. OscarWild Win User

Windows 10 Access Denied - Documents and Settings

Using a Dell PC and a Toshiba laptop.

Wireless in-home network.

Changed from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

If I try to open the files G B-P suggests above--C:\Users\Owner\documents, or using my name instead of 'Owner'--access to Documents files (not MyDocuments) is NOT allowed.

I have gone through the steps for sharing and adding permissions, but as Administrator and Owner, as I certainly am, I cannot access files that I created myself.

OscarWild, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

1. documents vs mydocuments and publicdocuments What? Why? How? When? - Similar Threads - documents mydocuments publicdocuments

2. Icons vs. photos, documents?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons vs. photos, documents?: Everytime I go to any folder, I get icons instead of photos or documents. I have tried the view button but it doesn't work. When I double click on the item, the photo or documents come as a preview, then will show as a picture/document not an icon on my screen. I would like...
  3. Icons vs. photos, documents?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons vs. photos, documents?: Everytime I go to any folder, I get icons instead of photos or documents. I have tried the view button but it doesn't work. When I double click on the item, the photo or documents come as a preview, then will show as a picture/document not an icon on my screen. I would like...
  4. Documents--What the Heck?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents--What the Heck?: What in the name of heaven is going on? I now have Windows 11, and very sorry to have it, as it's just awful.WHERE THE HELL ARE MY DOCUMENTS PUT? It is beyond nuts. Windows 11 gives me a file folder that is like a piece of paper with lines--it says "Documents." But what's in...
  5. Documents--What the Heck?

Documents--What the Heck?: What in the name of heaven is going on? I now have Windows 11, and very sorry to have it, as it's just awful.WHERE THE HELL ARE MY DOCUMENTS PUT? It is beyond nuts. Windows 11 gives me a file folder that is like a piece of paper with lines--it says "Documents." But what's in...
  6. account.microsoft.com vs accounts.microsoft.com what is the difference

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    account.microsoft.com vs accounts.microsoft.com what is the difference: How do you know a real Microsoft site? I have both account.microsoft.com and accounts.microsoft.com is one fake https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accountmicrosoftcom-vs-accountsmicrosoftcom-what/155c06cb-5d7c-4c54-a794-ed69f8fd81c4
  7. folders vs libraries - what's the difference?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folders vs libraries - what's the difference?: Hi everyone, I'm having trouble understanding the difference between folders and libraries in Windows, and understanding the advantages of using a library. A library, to me, just sounds like a collection of shortcuts. Why wouldn't you just create a folder with shortcuts...
  8. Can word processor documents be sent to desktop vs Documents folder

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Can word processor documents be sent to desktop vs Documents folder: Using Win 10 on Dell desktop PC Is there a way for documents in Microsoft WordPad and other word processors to be saved to my desktop directly rather than the default which is to Documents? 163438
  9. Storage in C: vs. Sub-folder such as Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage in C: vs. Sub-folder such as Documents: How do I reset the the default savings function so that it goes directly to C: as opposed to sub-files? I'm trying to get away from duplicate files, such as Word Docs, in both C: and the Documents sub-file. The problem I found was where the most recent files could be found,...
  10. How can I find out what the history of a document is? IE when it was created initially and...

How can I find out what the history of a document is? IE when it was created initially and...: How can I find out what the history of a document is? IE when it was created initially and when it was last ammended....