Windows 10: .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box

Discus and support .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; when using another app / program, when I 'select file' the File Explorer dialogue box opens, but none of my .docx files are listed. This has only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TeresaDavy-Thomas, Feb 8, 2019.

1. .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box

when using another app / program, when I 'select file' the File Explorer dialogue box opens, but none of my .docx files are listed. This has only started happening since the update earlier this week (w/c 04/02/2019). Can see in Community that others had this problem with Windows 7. I am using Windows 10 and everything is 'up to date', I have tried some of the solutions offered but they didn't work. Any help gratefully received.

:)

TeresaDavy-Thomas, Feb 8, 2019

2. comments and tags in docx files don't display in explorer file folders

Hi Charles,

We would need more information regarding your concern about the description of your .docx files. To better assist you with your concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you always experienced this issue with .docx files?
    • Were you able to add some description on your .docx files? If yes, what were the steps that you took in adding descriptions to your .docx files?
    • Is this issue only happening with .docx files?

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, Feb 8, 2019
  3. File Explorer Keeps Freezing with .docx FIles

Can't link the File Converter - I guess because it does not show up as a "program" - so it does not show up in the list as an option.

And of course, if I click on a .docx file in File Explorer, it freezes up. It used to not do that - that's the issue I want to fix in the first place, hence my post here.

Anyone know how to uninstall the File Converter when it does not show up in the programs list?

RLynn Shell, Feb 8, 2019
  4. .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box

File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

OK, tried all of the above (cache to 1GB, winword /r, etc). Still have the problem with File (not internet) Explorer. Getting a new wrinkle now. After doing winword.exe /r, I got this

.docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box [​IMG]

.docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box [​IMG]

It suggests saving Normal.dotm to the Documents folder but it won't let me do that either. I just keep getting the "We can't save this..." box no matter where I try to save it.

It seems like Word is completely screwed up and now I don't know if my Preview problem is Win10 related or Word 365/Office related.

My head hurts.

Pam

OnTheRoad41, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

.docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box

1. .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box - Similar Threads - docx files displaying

2. Windows 11 file explorer dialogue box popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file explorer dialogue box popup: Windows 11 at every start explorer.exe pops up with exclamation mark cannot open file explorer until I click ok on the dialogue Ran sfc DISM check disc all with no problem gound...
  3. Windows 11 file explorer dialogue box popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file explorer dialogue box popup: Windows 11 at every start explorer.exe pops up with exclamation mark cannot open file explorer until I click ok on the dialogue Ran sfc DISM check disc all with no problem gound...
  4. File Explorer Search not working for .docx files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Search not working for .docx files: I am a Windows 11 user. When I search for a word in File Explorer, unless the word is in a filename, the search results do not return the appropriate .docx files. The search results do return pdf, xls, txt, and Microsoft Word 97 - 2003 documents. I have tried a bunch of...
  5. File Explorer Search not working for .docx files

File Explorer Search not working for .docx files: I am a Windows 11 user. When I search for a word in File Explorer, unless the word is in a filename, the search results do not return the appropriate .docx files. The search results do return pdf, xls, txt, and Microsoft Word 97 - 2003 documents. I have tried a bunch of...
  6. Recycle Bin Dialogue Box File Locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle Bin Dialogue Box File Locations: Hello All,I am interested in dialogue boxes, and their locations in C:\ in Windows 7, 10, 11.For example:When I right click on a folder and then left click on Delete, a dialogue box opens that says "Are you sure you want to move this folder to the Recycle Bin?" And I have two...
  7. Recycle Bin Dialogue Box File Locations

Recycle Bin Dialogue Box File Locations: Hello All,I am interested in dialogue boxes, and their locations in C:\ in Windows 7, 10, 11.For example:When I right click on a folder and then left click on Delete, a dialogue box opens that says "Are you sure you want to move this folder to the Recycle Bin?" And I have two...
  8. File Explorer Search Working with .docx files but not .doc files

File Explorer Search Working with .docx files but not .doc files: Windows 11 File Explorer Search If I search from "Desktop", I do see some .docx and some .doc returned based on a search term in teh file contents. I have a folder "Business" on the "Desktop" and a subfolder "Tests". The folder contains 2000 .doc and 2000 .pdf files. When I...
  9. File Explorer Search Working with .docx files but not .doc files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Search Working with .docx files but not .doc files: Windows 11 File Explorer Search If I search from "Desktop", I do see some .docx and some .doc returned based on a search term in teh file contents. I have a folder "Business" on the "Desktop" and a subfolder "Tests". The folder contains 2000 .doc and 2000 .pdf files. When I...
  10. Windows File Explorer will not preview docx files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer will not preview docx files: I'm running Office 360 on Windows 10 with all current updates. File Explorer will preview most files, but will not preview Word files, .docx. I have searched everywhere for a solution and found nothing. Please help!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. docx files not showing up in explorer