Windows 10: .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box

Discus and support .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; when using another app / program, when I 'select file' the File Explorer dialogue box opens, but none of my .docx files are listed. This has only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TeresaDavy-Thomas, Feb 8, 2019.

1. .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box

when using another app / program, when I 'select file' the File Explorer dialogue box opens, but none of my .docx files are listed. This has only started happening since the update earlier this week (w/c 04/02/2019). Can see in Community that others had this problem with Windows 7. I am using Windows 10 and everything is 'up to date', I have tried some of the solutions offered but they didn't work. Any help gratefully received.

:)

TeresaDavy-Thomas, Feb 8, 2019

2. comments and tags in docx files don't display in explorer file folders

Hi Charles,

We would need more information regarding your concern about the description of your .docx files. To better assist you with your concern, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you always experienced this issue with .docx files?
    • Were you able to add some description on your .docx files? If yes, what were the steps that you took in adding descriptions to your .docx files?
    • Is this issue only happening with .docx files?

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, Feb 8, 2019
  3. File Explorer Keeps Freezing with .docx FIles

Can't link the File Converter - I guess because it does not show up as a "program" - so it does not show up in the list as an option.

And of course, if I click on a .docx file in File Explorer, it freezes up. It used to not do that - that's the issue I want to fix in the first place, hence my post here.

Anyone know how to uninstall the File Converter when it does not show up in the programs list?

RLynn Shell, Feb 8, 2019
  4. .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box

File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

OK, tried all of the above (cache to 1GB, winword /r, etc). Still have the problem with File (not internet) Explorer. Getting a new wrinkle now. After doing winword.exe /r, I got this

.docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box [​IMG]

.docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box [​IMG]

It suggests saving Normal.dotm to the Documents folder but it won't let me do that either. I just keep getting the "We can't save this..." box no matter where I try to save it.

It seems like Word is completely screwed up and now I don't know if my Preview problem is Win10 related or Word 365/Office related.

My head hurts.

Pam

OnTheRoad41, Feb 8, 2019
Thema:

.docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box

1. .docx files not displaying in File Explorer dialogue box - Similar Threads - docx files displaying

2. File explorer view from Save As dialogue

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer view from Save As dialogue: A colleague has asked from some assistance. In file explorer the navigation pane shows her mapped drives as drive letter, folder. However, when she invokes the save as dialogue from Word or Excel, the file explorer navigation pane within the Save As dialogue shows her mapped...
  3. File explorer view from Save As dialogue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer view from Save As dialogue: A colleague has asked from some assistance. In file explorer, the navigation pane shows her mapped drives as drive letter, folder. However, when she invokes the save as dialogue, the file explorer navigation pane shows her mapped drives as folder, drive letter. Is there a...
  4. File Explorer search box

in Cortana
    File Explorer search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwritten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  5. File Explorer Search box

File Explorer Search box: When I start to type into the 'search' box on File Explorer on the right side of the address bar, if I type at normal speed the first one or two characters do not appear or are overwitten as I type. I have File Explorer set to automatically start in the 'search' box. To...
  6. Windows File Explorer will not preview docx files

Windows File Explorer will not preview docx files: I'm running Office 360 on Windows 10 with all current updates. File Explorer will preview most files, but will not preview Word files, .docx. I have searched everywhere for a solution and found nothing. Please help!...
  7. Print dialogue doesn't appear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Print dialogue doesn't appear in File Explorer: I have a user who, when trying to print files from File Explorer, does not receive the print dialogue box prior to printing the documents. She has to print multiple documents at a time from a folder stored locally. She uses two printers: One is a third-party PDF printer which...
  8. File operation dialogue

in Windows 10 Support
    File operation dialogue: Has anyone else noticed that if you have maybe 4 or more windows open, for example you are drilling down several levels of folders on a couple of drives, maybe to organise doc's / images...whatever, that most often the file dialogue (the one that asks for confirmation)...
  9. scanner dialogue box

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    scanner dialogue box: How to bring up the scanner dialogue box? I have a new hard drive and had to start over getting programs up. Have a Canon and it does print just fine but doesn't scan - before the crash the PC used to be able to scan documents just by my clicking on "Document" in the scanner...
  10. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf: Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird workaround: Open File Explorer, Highlight (click on) the file I want to preview. Nothing but a ding sound indicating a little window...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. docx files not showing up in explorer