Windows 10: Does a broken hard drive cause 100% disk usage?

Discus and support Does a broken hard drive cause 100% disk usage? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Recently, my computer has a lot of random spikes to 100% for disk usage and I’ve already tried everything I could find online to fix it. I ran the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Zer0in, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Zer0in Win User

Does a broken hard drive cause 100% disk usage?

Recently, my computer has a lot of random spikes to 100% for disk usage and I’ve already tried everything I could find online to fix it. I ran the Crystal Disk info and it told me i had 127 uncorrectable sectors and 44 pending. I also occasionally hear clicking sounds from my HDD. Is it time for me to replace my HDD?

:)

Zer0in, Apr 10, 2020
  2. Marki243 Win User

100% Disk Usage on Secondary Hard Drive

At the moment, I'm trying Method 2, but it causes 100% usage just by attempting to read it. According to Task Manager, it is the utilizes the hard drive the most on I/O read bytes, but this Chrome window uses the most on I/O write bytes (I have it installed
    on my SSD, so I doubt it should be causing anything in the other hard drives.).

I had to close the first instance because it didn't respond when I chose to scan the drive. As of right now, it has not made any progress and the hard drive is at 100% usage.

Does the amount of files on the disk affect how it is read as well? I recently bought this hard drive new and have very little files on it.

Edit: It apparently decided to switch to my main C: drive instead of going to the hard drive. I'm going to retry with a full system scan.

It hit a spike when it started scanning C:\Windows\syswow64\Spoonuninstall.exe right now. There is 0 kb read/write on the hard drive that is hitting 100% usage.

Final Edit:

I found that when I formatted the drive partition, it started running properly again. I tested out the Dolphin emulator as well as other games on it and it never peaked at 100%. It seems that something on the disk was causing the peaks, but what exactly
    I couldn't find out. It may have been a file corrupted as I copied over the games from my smaller hard drive or something else. Either way, it seems the problem is gone so far.

Marki243, Apr 10, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage

Considering your 2nd screenshot, assuming your Disk column is organised high to low, you have a problem with disk transfer rate- it appears to be low yet shown as 100%

There are various programs running that appear unnecessary.

Suggest you do a clean boot and compare. You should expect disk usage when idle - a few mins after boot - to be zero unless there's good reason.

Comparing your 1st and 3rd screenshots, note the max transfer rate is 10x that in the 3rd screenshot.

It's not doing an update, and not apparently a paging problem.

From that it appears you have limited disk transfer rate, and the disk activity doesn't settle to near zero.

There are several threads on the topic of limited transfer rate - here are some:
    Disk usage 100% please help Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
    Slow internal hard drive tansfer speeds - Windows 10 Forums
    100% Disk Usage, tried some methods found online. - Windows 10 Forums

I'd suggest looking through those first, using any ideas there, keep a list of what you try, and post back with that list if you still have problems.

Please post specs of your PC. See mine for comparison.

dalchina, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Does a broken hard drive cause 100% disk usage?

How to solve 100 % disk usage in windows 10 after fall update?

Hi Manikanteswara,

Usually, a virus could be the main cause of 100% disk usage. The first step in rectifying the problem is to check your disk usages. You need to open the Task Manager and take a look at your disk usages to identify the programs or applications that are causing
    your hard disk 100% usage. Here's how:

• Type task manager in the Windows search bar and select the best match.
    • In the Processes tab, look at the disk process to see what is causing your hard disk 100% usage.

Kindly send a screenshot, so I can take a closer look.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Aileen Alf, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Does a broken hard drive cause 100% disk usage?

1. Does a broken hard drive cause 100% disk usage? - Similar Threads - Does broken hard

2. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage: My "system" in the task manager has been causing a lot of disk usage to the point that my screen goes frozen, specifically I'm getting 100% disk usageSystem randomly goes to 20% - 80% disk usage, no reason said whyThis never happened before, but until updating my pc, I am...
  3. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage: My "system" in the task manager has been causing a lot of disk usage to the point that my screen goes frozen, specifically I'm getting 100% disk usageSystem randomly goes to 20% - 80% disk usage, no reason said whyThis never happened before, but until updating my pc, I am...
  4. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage: Hi!I've been encountering a problem recently with my TOSHIBA DTB410 1TB External Hard Drive whenever I connect it to my laptop. I've been using it for almost 2 years now and I've had no problem with it except the last few days. My file explorer slows down to a crawl and when...
  6. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage: Hi!I've been encountering a problem recently with my TOSHIBA DTB410 1TB External Hard Drive whenever I connect it to my laptop. I've been using it for almost 2 years now and I've had no problem with it except the last few days. My file explorer slows down to a crawl and when...
  7. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. 100% Hard Drive Usage

100% Hard Drive Usage: I did a reset on my laptop and it took more than three hours to finish the reset. And after the reset my hard drive is taking 100% of usage allways. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-hard-drive-usage/ad56032e-8213-4046-a4c5-3c12c0d4c8db
  9. Disk Drive Usage at 100%

Disk Drive Usage at 100%: HI everyone, I just recently built my first PC and it's running great except I'm consistently getting 100% disk drive usage when I start up my computer or start a new application. I didn't notice it until I opened task manager about a week after getting the PC up and running...
  10. cause of 100% disk usage (windows10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cause of 100% disk usage (windows10): 1. my processor at 12 to 40 % 2. ram at almost 90% 3. but the disk is at 100 % usage in task manager which hangs my laptop what is the real cause and how to fix it do need to buy another 4 gb ram ? (already having 4 gb ram in slot 1 [ATTACH])...