Windows 10: Does a DeviceID/GUID for a partition change after Windows reinstall or is it unique/static?

Discus and support Does a DeviceID/GUID for a partition change after Windows reinstall or is it unique/static? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. I would like to ask you this, for whoever knows and is kind to help me : Basically I have created a script that automatically locks a certain... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LaurFlorin, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Does a DeviceID/GUID for a partition change after Windows reinstall or is it unique/static?

Hi.

I would like to ask you this, for whoever knows and is kind to help me :

Basically I have created a script that automatically locks a certain BitLocker Volume on demand, without the need for me to restart the PC.

Here is a screenshot:

Does a DeviceID/GUID for a partition change after Windows reinstall or is it unique/static? 676667b7-32a1-43c6-a92a-143f13b53651?upload=true.png

You can ignore the gibberish above ::START - that's code for invoking UAC on the script to always run as admin.

What I am interested in is the highlighted command on the right.

The command works and locks the desired volume automatically. I want to use this instead of the drive letter e.g. manage-bde -lock E: because drive letters can change upon Windows reinstallation, rendering the command useless unless tweaked.

What I would like to know is, can I trust this Volume GUID to remain the same after Windows reinstall? My hunch is that it remains the same ebcause it is tied to the partition which is not a system partition, but would like to know your feedback as well.

Thank you!

:)

LaurFlorin, Feb 11, 2021
  2. BAGZZlash Win User

DeviceID change

The card is displayed as unknown because it's not listed in RBE's internal database. You can still change the deviceID using the built-in hex editor (click hex dump and then, on the right side of the new window, double-click the two deviceID locations). Remember the exchanged byte positions when doing so.

BAGZZlash, Feb 11, 2021
  3. pion Win User
    changing deviceID on X850XT

ok i understand now.

i need to change:
    from
    X850XT

DeviceID: 5D52
    SubSystemID: 0B12
    subVendorID: 1002

to

X850XT PT

DeviceID: 5D4D
    SubSystemID: 0B12
    subVendorID: 1002

doing this name mod doesnt damage my card right, no artifact?

4. Does a DeviceID/GUID for a partition change after Windows reinstall or is it unique/static?

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

Background

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a boot sector technology poised to replace the venerable Master Boot Record (MBR) principally because MBR has a maximum capacity of 2 TB for a single partition (some single disks have reached 3 TB). Installing Windows on a GPT is a bit tricky because Windows wants to default back to MBR. In order to force Windows on to a GPT, we have to pre-format the drive prior to Windows installation. You can do that during Windows setup using the console.

Requirements

• Windows Vista or 7 (must be 64-bit no matter which OS is used)
    • A motherboard with EFI BIOS
    • A means to EFI boot the Windows setup (I had to use a USB DVD drive on MSI Z77A-G65, the internal SATA Bluray drives didn't have an EFI option)
    Instructions

• Boot into Windows setup using EFI. On the MSI Z77A-G65, it showed up as UEFI:USB-ATAPI DVD ... This will change according to your motherboard and how you are attempting to enter setup. This step is critical. Without booting into setup via EFI, only MBR is available to the setup. There's no easy way to tell from within setup if it is running via EFI or not.
    • Once you have booted into setup, continue through the process as you would normally until you reach the dialog which shows you the available drives. Load a driver, if necessary, then press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.
    • In the command prompt, enter the following lines, pressing enter after each one. Note that the <id> field below is the disk ID that you want to format as GPT from the "list disk" command. If there's only one drive, <id> will likely be 1. Note: All data on the drive will be lost during this process. Make sure to select the correct drive.
      • diskpart
      • list disk
      • select disk <id>
      • online disk
      • attributes disk clear readonly
      • clean
      • convert gpt
      • create partition efi size=102
      • create partition msr size=32
      • create partition primary
      • format fs=ntfs label="Operating System"
      • assign letter=C
      • exit
      "online disk" and "attributes disk clear readonly" are likely to fail. Don't worry, they are only precautionary. Change the drive letter and label to whatever you want. Also, the above command (specifically "create partition primary") will consume all remaining space on the drive. If you want multiple partitions with fixed sizes, substitute what you want in place of "create partition primary."
    • You may now close the command prompt and click on "Refresh" back in the dialog to choose where to install Windows. You should now see at least 2 partitions (I think Microsoft Reserved is hidden) and it will only let you install on a non EFI/MSR partition. Click on the primary partition and proceed with the installation as normal.
    • Note that in the EFI BIOS after installing Windows via EFI, you can no longer directly boot the volume Windows is installed on. Instead, you must boot via "Windows Boot Manager" (on MSI Z77A-G65, it was "UEFI: Windows Boot Manager"). Keep that in mind if you wish to tweak the boot order.
    Conclusion

That should do it. You should be in Windows with >2 TB of hard drive capacity available if you had more than 2 TB on the Windows partition. Congratulations being on the bleeding edge of technology! *Rockout :rockout:

FordGT90Concept, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

Does a DeviceID/GUID for a partition change after Windows reinstall or is it unique/static?

1. Does a DeviceID/GUID for a partition change after Windows reinstall or is it unique/static? - Similar Threads - Does DeviceID GUID

2. deviceid returning ACL_SYSTEM_PROXY info instead of just deviceid causing license key...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    deviceid returning ACL_SYSTEM_PROXY info instead of just deviceid causing license key...: We have an expensive application that periodically authenticates the license key by checking the deviceID against the software application server host. Recently the application started failing and further research shows the getdeviceID call is now returning two lines of...
  3. deviceid returning ACL_SYSTEM_PROXY info instead of just deviceid causing license key...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deviceid returning ACL_SYSTEM_PROXY info instead of just deviceid causing license key...: We have an expensive application that periodically authenticates the license key by checking the deviceID against the software application server. Recently the application started failing and further research shows the getdeviceID call is now returning two lines of...
  4. deviceid returning ACL_SYSTEM_PROXY info instead of just deviceid causing license key...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    deviceid returning ACL_SYSTEM_PROXY info instead of just deviceid causing license key...: We have an expensive application that periodically authenticates the license key by checking the deviceID against the software application server. Recently the application started failing and further research shows the getdeviceID call is now returning two lines of...
  5. Windows reinstall or worse? Kindly guide

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows reinstall or worse? Kindly guide: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/marauderingaround [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kczn6n/windows_reinstall_or_worse_kindly_guide/
  6. Trying to Find A Guide to Reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to Find A Guide to Reinstall: I am on the hunt for a post that I read a few weeks ago. It outlined a method of using a Google Drive with an excessively organized installation package for Windows 10. I could give more info, but idk how much of it would be necessary. I am making the assumption that I found...
  7. 4 Partitions after reinstall of windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4 Partitions after reinstall of windows 10: Windows 10 was not working correctly on my PC so I decided to factory reset the PC but which did not work. The PC was giving me this message (Boot Device Not Found 3F0) later on the PC gave a different message, OS is missing, I have downloaded the OS from Microsoft website...
  8. Reinstall Windows 10 after Reset Partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 after Reset Partition.: I kept getting a Rest Partition message from Windows 10. I had to accept as the laptop would not load. Now it has rolled back to Windows 8 (from a restore partition on the hard drive). Am I able to reinstall Windows 10 for free? I still have my Windows 8 CD OEM key....
  9. Generate Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Generate Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) in Windows: How to: Generate Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) in Windows How to Generate a Globally Unique Identifier (GUID) in Windows GUID (or UUID) is an acronym for 'Globally Unique Identifier' (or 'Universally Unique Identifier'). The term GUID is generally used by developers...
  10. Does reinstalling Windows 10 on my C partition affect other partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does reinstalling Windows 10 on my C partition affect other partitions: I am a relatively inexperienced computer user and am having many crashes at present, with various reasons given for the crashes. I am contemplating doing a reinstall of Windows 10 and saving no files,etc - a clean install! If I do this will the contents of my partitions named...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. guid keeps changing win 10