Windows 10: Does a FACTORY RESET delete your Virus? Great Computer turns to Crap

Discus and support Does a FACTORY RESET delete your Virus? Great Computer turns to Crap in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Ok, here's my interesting situation. Tried to download a game, then all sorts of spyware, adware, malware and probably viruses started downloading to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Fidel, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Fidel Win User

Does a FACTORY RESET delete your Virus? Great Computer turns to Crap

Ok, here's my interesting situation. Tried to download a game, then all sorts of spyware, adware, malware and probably viruses started downloading to my computer and taking over the memory. Eventually I started getting BSOD, and because the computer wouldn't stay on long enough to run my malware/virus scans, I was forced to do a FACTORY RESET. I went from WIN 10 to the original WIN 7 that the computer came with. Because I had to do a RESET all my stuff is out of date which is expected.

To make a long story short, what was a perfectly running computer before the attempted game download, now I have a computer that freezes, error codes when trying to install windows updates, and my internet crashes. So my question is, even after a Factory Reset, is the virus removed or do you still have to do a virus scan?

(My attempted AVAST virus scan won't even scan through..it gets stuck at "compatibility check").

Also one more question...if your getting BSOD's...then how can you run win 10 in safe mode as the F8 button is disabled?

Does a FACTORY RESET delete your Virus? Great Computer turns to Crap [​IMG]

:)

Fidel, Mar 24, 2017

2. Lost factory reset code - cant delete MFE mailbox

Great! Fixed, thanks!

mobius2011---01, Mar 24, 2017
  3. Question about factory reset

I was just wondering if when you factory reset your computer (delete every thing and reinstall it the original factory settings like windows ten) does the cmd or command prompt reset as well

Austin_933, Mar 24, 2017
  4. Does a FACTORY RESET delete your Virus? Great Computer turns to Crap

Hi Fidel

Some factory resets remove everything, others save stuff and in doing so save the malware.

Myself I would copy the data off the device and I would then do a clean install following this tutorial.

Clean Install Windows 10

Once you are back up scan your data with malwarebytes. Copy it back to system.

When you are fully restored look into and use Macrium Reflect. Saves you in situations like this.

Edit 1:

Since Windows 10 was on your machine it will re-activate once you install.

Caledon Ken, Mar 24, 2017
  5. Fidel Win User
    Doesn't sound bad...I just have to buy some USB sticks.

Fidel, Mar 24, 2017
  6. You can also create an ISO on DVD.

Caledon Ken, Mar 24, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    Ken is right suggesting you reinstall Windows 10 from scratch. Some infections can even survive a format. Once your data is backed up, be sure to do the custom installation and then delete all existing partitions on the system.
    Macrium images will help you easily recover from problems like this in the future.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Does a FACTORY RESET delete your Virus? Great Computer turns to Crap

1. Does a FACTORY RESET delete your Virus? Great Computer turns to Crap - Similar Threads - Does FACTORY RESET

2. Virus deleted explorer.exe. How can I factory reset?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus deleted explorer.exe. How can I factory reset?: Hello all, a few months ago I fell victim to a Trojan virus imitating a google update, and after accidentally giving the virus permission to change computer files, my computer restarted and began having a significantly longer startup time and displaying the error of “unknown...
  3. Virus deleted explorer.exe. How can I factory reset?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virus deleted explorer.exe. How can I factory reset?: Hello all, a few months ago I fell victim to a Trojan virus imitating a google update, and after accidentally giving the virus permission to change computer files, my computer restarted and began having a significantly longer startup time and displaying the error of “unknown...
  4. Virus deleted explorer.exe. How can I factory reset?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Great Discover Virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Great Discover Virus: Hello, and I have a question about a malware that has infected my PC to mine Bitcoin. No matter what i tried it cant be removed such as: Deleting through Safe Mode Removing through Avast Scanning with Norton360 Scanning with Malwarebytes And those are the ones I most...
  6. A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer

A Virus or Trojan or Worm That Can Survive a Factory Reset on Computer: Hello, I plan on doing a factory reset on my Thinkpad X270 Windows 10 Pro laptop, but I'd like to check on certain things: I read the following on backed-up files: "In most cases, a factory reset will remove viruses. But how exactly do some manage to survive it? Wherever...
  7. Can a virus bypass a factory reset?

Can a virus bypass a factory reset?: Hi, I recently had a run in with a hacker who potentially put a R.A.T on my computer I have factory reset computer in a panic attempt to remove it. My friend told me that certian R.A.Ts can bypass factory resetting by making windows think that it is the windows key and...
  8. Factory reset your PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Factory reset your PC: I'm unable to factory reset my PC, and am currently stuck in a loop that keeps bringing me back to a BIOS screen. How can I factory reset it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/factory-reset-your-pc/874acf5c-5d9d-4904-be20-8e334461cd18
  9. Factory reset files have a virus?

Factory reset files have a virus?: Using windows 7 acer computer. Wondering if viruses can get into factory reset folders and stay with the system even after full factory reset? How to genuine fix if they can? Thanks....
  10. Virus Factory Reset Problem

Virus Factory Reset Problem: Hello there, I have this massive problem where a virus has hijacked the command prompt thus leaving me not to be able to do anything about it. I tried all possible solutions including booting in the safe mode and fixing it. I simply gave up and went to factory reset my PC....