Windows 10: Does a Windows 10 Pro Retail License wipe an OEM Windows 10 Home license permanently?

Discus and support Does a Windows 10 Pro Retail License wipe an OEM Windows 10 Home license permanently? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I own a Windows 10 Pro Retail License with the included USB from a previous pc build which I have now sold as parts. I have recently bought a laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by VillageSpaceman, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Does a Windows 10 Pro Retail License wipe an OEM Windows 10 Home license permanently?

I own a Windows 10 Pro Retail License with the included USB from a previous pc build which I have now sold as parts.

I have recently bought a laptop as a replacement with an OEM Windows 10 Home license that I am planning on keeping for a year or two and replacing in the future.

If I activate my Windows 10 Pro on my laptop, am I able to reinstall the original OEM Windows 10 Home license so I can sell the laptop and be able to freely move my Pro license to my next laptop afterwards?

:)

VillageSpaceman, Jul 28, 2020
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Jul 28, 2020
  3. jazzcase Win User
    Windows 10 Home (OEM) to Windows 10 Pro (Retail) license

Hello, first of all i'm sorry if my english is a bit broken.

i have questions regarding those that i mentioned on the title above, not the steps of the installation but the license.

i have a laptop running Windows 10 Home right now (lets say it is machine "A"), and planning to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using retail product key. On the other hand i have a plan to get a new machine next year (machine "B").

1. What will happen with "A" Win 10 Home OEM license if i upgrade it to Win 10 Pro Retail version? does the OEM license just get straight away overwritten or deleted?

2. I read an article that Retail version of windows can be moved to another machine as long as it is not installed or removed from previous machine. Can i install the Windows 10 Pro version on "B" that previously installed on "A", after deleting it from
    "A"?

3. Can i install the Windows 10 Home version back on "A" and get activated using default OEM license?

Your answer is much appreciated, thank you.

jazzcase, Jul 28, 2020
  4. patkim Win User

Does a Windows 10 Pro Retail License wipe an OEM Windows 10 Home license permanently?

Understanding difference between OEM & Retail Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade if any

Hi,

I am aware that you can upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by following certain steps and paying a fee to Microsoft to get a new Pro license.

However what I am not clear is about the type of license that Windows 10 Pro then comes with after an upgrade

When I upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, do I still retain the license as Windows 10 Pro OEM or does it now become a retail Pro license?

If it still remains as OEM License, is there a difference in the fee structure for upgrading OEM Home to Pro & Retail Home to Pro?

As I understand a retail license offers flexibility to move to another computer but OEM does not. OEM is tied to the first motherboard on which it's activated.

Thanks

patkim, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

Does a Windows 10 Pro Retail License wipe an OEM Windows 10 Home license permanently?

1. Does a Windows 10 Pro Retail License wipe an OEM Windows 10 Home license permanently? - Similar Threads - Does Pro Retail

2. use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license: I try to transfer my windows 10 PRO RETAIL license to new laptop with no luck.the problem:I have old laptop with activated windows 10 PRO digital license - when checking lsmgr it claims that is RETAIL license and I have now new laptop which comes with windows 11 HOME OEM...
  3. use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license: I try to transfer my windows 10 PRO RETAIL license to new laptop with no luck.the problem:I have old laptop with activated windows 10 PRO digital license - when checking lsmgr it claims that is RETAIL license and I have now new laptop which comes with windows 11 HOME OEM...
  4. Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build: I built a Windows 10 PC several years ago and purchased a retail license. Now that PC cannot be updated to Windows 11. Can I purchase a Windows 10 OEM license and remove the retail license from this PC and install the OEM license without doing a complete reinstall? I would...
  5. Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build: I built a Windows 10 PC several years ago and purchased a retail license. Now that PC cannot be updated to Windows 11. Can I purchase a Windows 10 OEM license and remove the retail license from this PC and install the OEM license without doing a complete reinstall? I would...
  6. Replacing Windows 10 retail license with OEM to reuse the retail license on new build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 Home retail license transfer

Windows 10 Home retail license transfer: Hi, I run into a problem, that I cant seem to find a way to transfer my retail non OEM license between my old laptop witch I will no longer use and new one i bought recently. Old laptop has windows activated, new one - not. Before I installed new laptop with win10 I...
  8. Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?

Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?: Hello there, I want to upgrade my HP laptop from Windows 10 Home OEM license to Pro using retail key but i always get the error windows is not activated even though it is a genuine product key from Microsoft. Thanks in advance for any help....
  9. Is the digital download of Windows 10 Pro an OEM or Retail license?

Is the digital download of Windows 10 Pro an OEM or Retail license?: I wanted to buy the digital download version of Windows 10 Pro directly from Microsoft, https://www.microsoft.com/ro-ro/p/windows-10-pro/df77x4d43rkt? Could you please tell me if this license is OEM, tied to a single computer, or Retail, which can be moved later to another...
  10. Windows 10 retail versus OEM license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 retail versus OEM license: In answers to the question that often comes up regarding OEM licenses purchased via third-party websites (Amazon, eBay, etc), it is frequently noted that the OEM version of Windows is identical to the retail version (with some limitations on support and license transfer). In...