Windows 10: Does a Windows Recovery drive contain the name of the computer the drive was made on?

Discus and support Does a Windows Recovery drive contain the name of the computer the drive was made on? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two Dell PCs, and I would like to know on which of the two PC's this drive was created, presumably by drilling down within File Explorer into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TF_950, Jun 28, 2020.

1. TF_950 Win User

Does a Windows Recovery drive contain the name of the computer the drive was made on?

I have two Dell PCs, and I would like to know on which of the two PC's this drive was created, presumably by drilling down within File Explorer into the recovery software itself.

Both computers are Win 10 64-bit, one year apart in age, and likely I could use this recovery drive on either one.

But my question here today is whether the computer name on which the drive was created can be found anywhere in the created recovery software by drilling down in File Explorer, and if so how.

:)

TF_950, Jun 28, 2020

2. Recovery Drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your concern. In some cases, this could happen if you created a system restore point on your computer. Windows will use the recovery drive to revert to the previous time where your computer is working properly, or where you created
    it. Please don't attempt to put any files in the recovery drive or the restore process will fail. To give you more suggestion and helpful information, we would like to more about your computer. Please answer the question below:

• Did you make any changes to your computer before this issue occurs?
    • Have you install Windows Update before getting the Recovery drive?
    • Which version of Windows are you using? To check it, follow the steps through this
      link.

In the meantime, you can check the files inside the recovery drive and confirm if there are essential files that you need.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Lemuel Cie, Jun 28, 2020
  3. DavidY Win User
    What does the Win10 Recovery contain?

Are you using the built-in Windows 10 function to create a Recovery Drive (as opposed to a recovery utility provided by your computer's manufacturer)? If it's the built-in function then it would have looked like the steps here:
    Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

If it is the built-in version then from my own experience I believe it does contain drivers.

You would have needed to select the option to 'Back up System files to the Recovery Drive' to create a recovery drive which can install Windows; however this option doesn't always work.

The normal Recovery Drive won't contain applications unless the computer came with Windows 10 from new, in which case it might do.

If the computer didn't have Windows 10 from new, there is a way you can capture applications yourself; if you did this (and if you can use the option to backup system files) it will include applications and other folders from your system drive (but not the Users folder) in the Recovery Drive.
    Provisioning Package - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

DavidY, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Does a Windows Recovery drive contain the name of the computer the drive was made on?

difference between windows installiation media and windows recovery drive

As the name suggests,

• WIM or installation media is used to install Windows on to the computer.whereas
    • Recovery drive is created to repair your computer in case if it wont start or throw any startup error.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

Does a Windows Recovery drive contain the name of the computer the drive was made on?

1. Does a Windows Recovery drive contain the name of the computer the drive was made on? - Similar Threads - Does Recovery drive

2. recovery drive does nothing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery drive does nothing: I created a W10 recovery drive on a USB stick. I install it to computer and boot the computer, pressing F11. Here's what happens: a command prompt type screen comes up with words to hit ESC to continue startup and system recovery also on the page but no instructions on how to...
  3. recovery drive does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recovery drive does nothing: I created a W10 recovery drive on a USB stick. I install it to computer and boot the computer, pressing F11. Here's what happens: a command prompt type screen comes up with words to hit ESC to continue startup and system recovery also on the page but no instructions on how to...
  4. recovery drive does nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  6. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  7. Inaccessible_boot_drive and drive names swapped and new “Boot” drive X: made?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Inaccessible_boot_drive and drive names swapped and new “Boot” drive X: made?: Around the time of me downloading a BIOS update from Lenovo (i dont recall whether it was after or before), my laptop hanged indefinitely when i booted it up, and i had to close it through the power button and reopen it. This happened for a while, then yesterday i went...
  8. Name the Drives on a Windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Name the Drives on a Windows 10 computer: How can I name the drives on my Windows 10 computer? 151508
  9. Computer will not recovery from drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer will not recovery from drive.: So, I have a PC that's set up for windows 10. Problem is, it got a virus that deleted it's recovery point. However, I used another windows 10 laptop to create a recovery drive. After I had (allegedly) recovered the PC, it still wouldn't boot up. Is there any hope for it? If...
  10. What does the Win10 Recovery contain?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does the Win10 Recovery contain?: Hi folks - I just set up Win10 this week and created my recovery onto a USB. Does anyone know if it contains drivers and applications that were set up before this was performed? Hopefully it does. Thanks! 23076