Windows 10: Does an external hard disk, e.g. WD Elements, has to stand upright?

Discus and support Does an external hard disk, e.g. WD Elements, has to stand upright? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Can one genarally lay down (on one of the 2 biggest expanses) each USB (3 or 2) external hard drive (e.g. WD MyBook, Elements, Seagate Expansion, a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Spoilo, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Spoilo Win User

Does an external hard disk, e.g. WD Elements, has to stand upright?

Can one genarally lay down (on one of the 2 biggest expanses) each USB (3 or 2) external hard drive (e.g. WD MyBook, Elements, Seagate Expansion, a SEAGATE Backup Plus HUB (Backup Plus Hub: Best external hard drive with a USB hub | Seagate US) instead of putting it upright like shown on all images?

And does it matter if it lays upside down?

It seems as if the cooling comes from / through the bottom (when standing upright) and the feets are not very high and if the drive stands on a soft underlay the openings might get impermeable.

:)

Spoilo, Sep 9, 2019
  2. cobrasl Win User

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

followed steps..

the partition displayed as below...

Does an external hard disk, e.g. WD Elements, has to stand upright? [​IMG]

as advised I selected "list".. and for a long time it was like this..

cobrasl, Sep 9, 2019
  3. jumanji Win User

The process of reaching the destination is vividly explained here Copying files listed by TestDisk during Recovery : My post #28 here https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware...ml#post2395385 (already mentioned in my post #5 )

I repeat it here

Here I am omitting the screenshots leading to the listing of files in the faulty drive since you already know how to get there.

jumanji, Sep 9, 2019
  4. cobrasl Win User

My WD Element HDD is not working after I plug it in to my WDTV unit. I tried to recover my files using PW but I'm unable recover it can anyone please help me..

How it shows in Explorer

but it does not appear in Disk Management

HDD is visible in PW

cobrasl, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Does an external hard disk, e.g. WD Elements, has to stand upright? - Similar Threads - Does external hard

2. External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/: Hello,My Laptop is not showing the drive for External Hard Disk WD Elements in "My PC". I only show the existing Drives C and D system partitioned ones. But the Hard Disk is identified by "Devices and Printers" under Elements 10B8 - When I click on Properties and then...
  3. External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/: Hello,My Laptop is not showing the drive for External Hard Disk WD Elements in "My PC". I only show the existing Drives C and D system partitioned ones. But the Hard Disk is identified by "Devices and Printers" under Elements 10B8 - When I click on Properties and then...
  4. External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. external hard drive in WD elements 25A2 is not working after opening the create pool option...

external hard drive in WD elements 25A2 is not working after opening the create pool option...: I was interested to see how much space I had on my drive. 1. Clicked storage 2. Clicked manager storage space 3. It took me to location control panel>system and security> storage spaces 4. The instructions stated: “Use storage spaces to save files to two or more devices...
  6. WD Elements 1TB External USB HDD support exFAT

WD Elements 1TB External USB HDD support exFAT: Hi there I am wondering if formatting my WD Elements External Hard Drive to exFAT requires the hardrive to be relatvely new (it is quite old) or would need some sort of compatibility label to be used with exFAT. It is currently NTFS and I am not sure if formatting it to...
  7. My computer does not recognize my WD External DriveWD Elements 1023

My computer does not recognize my WD External DriveWD Elements 1023: My drive works normally and fine until yesterday I plugged it in at school to copy a system image. It doesn't show up in Explorer and neither in diskmgr. Then I tried to find it in device manager, but there was no my disk or anything about "USB Mass Storage Device". Its light...
  8. WD Elements 1TB External not working in USB 3.0

WD Elements 1TB External not working in USB 3.0: I have WD Elements 1TB external drive, it has a USB 3.0 Supported cable. Whenever I plug it in my USB 2.0 port, it works fine but in USB 3.0 port, constant white led is there and doesn't blink. The device manager shows it as not connected and doesn't appear in Disk Management...
  9. WD Elements

WD Elements: I have a WD Elements but have no idea whether it is a 500mb,1TB, 2TB or what ever. How do I find out please? 117424
  10. External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer: My WD Element HDD is not working after I plug it in to my WDTV unit. I tried to recover my files using PW but I'm unable recover it can anyone please help me.. How it shows in Explorer [img] but it does not appear in Disk Management [img] HDD is visible in...