Windows 10: Does anyone have experience with TWEAKING v4.0.12. ?

Discus and support Does anyone have experience with TWEAKING v4.0.12. ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have unintentionally created some problems for myself with permissions.  I don't understand permissions and networking very well (a question for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Eddo51, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Eddo51 Win User

Does anyone have experience with TWEAKING v4.0.12. ?

I have unintentionally created some problems for myself with permissions.  I don't understand permissions and networking very well (a question for another day). A friend told me to use "tweaking program" to repair my system issues with permissions. Before I just let-r-rip, I wonder if you have any experience with this program and if it works well. Thanks.

:)

Eddo51, Feb 12, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Does anyone have a good experience with WIN 10??

I did a successful clean install on my first try.

Windows 10 runs very well on my computer. There are plenty of things that I don't like about Windows 10, but everything works very well.

Installing a new operating system requires a good deal of technical knowledge. I spent hours of research on the internet learning about Windows 10 and how to install it. Therefore, it came as no surprise to me that everything works well.

Before I installed Windows 10 I made a backup of my hard disk. If the install didn't go well I could return to Windows 8.1 in a matter of minutes.

You either spend hours before preparing or hours after repairing - if that's even possible. I chose to spend the hours before. Not everyone wants to work that hard to install an operating system, and who can blame them? In that case, the smart thing to do
    is to have some with the technical knowledge do it for you, or to wait and buy a computer with Windows 10 already installed.

BulldogXX, Feb 12, 2018
  3. Does anyone have a good experience with WIN 10??

Good afternoon,

1) This is a custom built computer

2) No error messages come up

3) When you click on the windows icon in the lower left corner of the screen nothing happens and the search bar is inoperable. - This issue just happened today

DierkJaeger, Feb 12, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Why wouldn't you use the latest version ... .13? I've not heard of anything bad about this program, though you can do yourself harm with tweaking on stuff you don't know or understand well.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 13, 2018
  5. dalchina New Member
    Assuming you mean this
    Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Free/Pro

then I would advise you be cautious- before doing anything more create a disk image. That way you can always recover to the same state.

The tool is very cautious in itself, but give yourself the best protection you can. Indeed, had you been in the habit of using disk imaging routinely, you probably wouldn't be struggling to repair your system now. E.g. Macrium reflect (free) + external storage for disk image sets.

Turning to Tweaking.com's tool.... observe the cautious preliminary stages, and choose the minimum repairs you think necessary. Don't simply choose everything by default.

dalchina, Feb 13, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Yes, when tweaking one's system it's generally safest to avoid whatever one can, and do only what one must. Bear in mind the old tongue-in-cheek saying "Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD." But FWIW, everything I've read about the Tweaking program says it does a pretty good job of cleaning up permissions-based messes (as long as too many drive moves aren't also involved).
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 13, 2018
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

For resetting permissions this is what I use:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23510

Once installed you can then create and run a batch file which you execute as admin:

Code: @echo off title Resetting ACLs... cd /d "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools" echo. echo Resetting ACLs... echo (this may take several minutes to complete) echo. echo ========================================================================== echo. echo System Drive... subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f echo. echo. echo Windows Directory... subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f echo. echo. echo ========================================================================== echo. echo FINISHED. echo. echo Press any key to exit . . . pause >NUL[/quote] That should work for folder and file permissions in Windows.

Tweaking tools can be dangerous in the hands of people that don't understand the consequences of the actions taken. Just be careful and make sure you have means to revert your actions if need be.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Feb 14, 2018
  8. Eddo51 Win User

Give me an example of what is dangerous about Tweaking tools, please.

Here is what I did that prompted me to want to run Tweaking software to clean
    things up. I created a home network and wanted to share a folder on my machine
    with 2 or 3 other computers in my home. Each computer has an adminitrator
    account which they use regularly as a "user account". I noticed that when I
    shared c:\users\public folder on my machine, the users on the other computers
    could also access my personal folder. Not good. So I changed the permission on
    my personal folder, excluding administrators. In the process of deleting admin
    access, I noticed that I get error when the process tried to remove access
    from "\users\ed\appdata". I think that's a problem, so I am thinking of
    using Tweaking to fix the problem. Would that help? Or, could you suggest
    another way for me to fix the problem? Or maybe I don't have a problem. I'm
    not sure.

Eddo51, Feb 15, 2018
  9. EdTittel Win User
    The same kind of general warnings that you usually hear/get about editing the registry -- which all boil down to 'Be careful, or you'll do yourself more harm than good' -- also apply to Tweaking.com's Repair tool. If you just use it for its built-in repairs, most users report good results, including many TenForums members (see for example, this thread from last November: Windows All in one Repair Utility). But because the potential for self-harm is there, you get warnings to "Be careful" as well.
    Hope that makes sense,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 15, 2018
  10. Eddo51 Win User
    Hello Ed, Could you recommend a book that will help me learn simple networking. Things like - how to setup a network of 3 to 5 computers, each sharing a specialized folder on each computer; the difference between a workgroup or a homegroup; File permissions and networking. Thanks!

Eddo51, Feb 16, 2018
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Darril Gibson's book (he's a well-known and -respected author on certification topics, too, including the CompTIA Network+, Security+ and more. He took over for me on the CISSP Study Guide when I got pulled to work on other stuff) is worth a look: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win.../dp/1118016858. You can find a used copy for just over $10. It is dated 2011 and won't directly address Windows 10, but the information is solid, applicable and good.
    OTOH, this Guide from Network World is free, and may tell you most of what you'll need -- especially if you also go digging around online for more information from Microsoft.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Feb 17, 2018
  12. In terms of using Tweaking.com Windows Repair, I regularly disable some of the tweaks whenever I run it, as I maintain those things myself and don't want them reset:

It also doesn't take long to do, as it does not get hung up on the Component Store.

Mark Phelps, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does anyone have experience with TWEAKING v4.0.12. ? - Similar Threads - Does anyone experience

2. Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience: Tweaking the registry is sometimes necessary to modify certain settings or configurations of a Windows operating system. The registry is a hierarchical database that stores various settings and options for Windows. It includes system configuration, device drivers, installed...
  3. Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience: Tweaking the registry is sometimes necessary to modify certain settings or configurations of a Windows operating system. The registry is a hierarchical database that stores various settings and options for Windows. It includes system configuration, device drivers, installed...
  4. Windows Registry Tweaks to Improve Performance and Experience

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Does anyone have experience with Kaspersky's vault encryption?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does anyone have experience with Kaspersky's vault encryption?: I see their top AV has an option to create encrypted vaults. What are the pros and cons? 178887
  6. Anyone have experience with buying from digitallicense.nl?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone have experience with buying from digitallicense.nl?: I saw that they have Windows 10 keys for sale pretty cheap but idk if they are legit or or not, anyone have any experience with them? submitted by /u/guacamoletonz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/leujj7/anyone_have_experience_with_buying_from/
  7. Does anyone have experience dealing with a headset and zoom?

Does anyone have experience dealing with a headset and zoom?: Windows 10 is such a b**** to set up my headset, it’s amazingly befuddling. Does anyone know how to use it for zoom? submitted by /u/ctlynchyo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jjwlng/does_anyone_have_experience_dealing_with_a/
  8. Windows Experience Index is 0

Windows Experience Index is 0: Hi, Out of curiosity I ran the Windows Experience Index on my newly built computer and everything came back 0. Everything works great so it’s not a big deal but I’m just curious as to why it’s showing 0 for everything? Thank you! submitted by /u/Elurzz88 [link]...
  9. Blender; Does anyone have experience with 3D printing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blender; Does anyone have experience with 3D printing?: Hello, has anyone had experience with three 3D printing? Can a template be created with Blender? What was the cost of that? How stable are the manufactured objects? Are there alternative programs? Blender; Hat jemadn Erfahrungen mit 3D Druck?
  10. Does it have Directx 12

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does it have Directx 12: Hi I read it has it. But I've run Dxdiag and it says Directx 11, is DX12 still not implemented in the TP? or is just a dxdiag bug? Thank you 2146