Windows 10: does anyone know why there might be this black square on my desktop?

Discus and support does anyone know why there might be this black square on my desktop? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Super0riginalName [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Super0riginalName, Aug 17, 2020.

1. does anyone know why there might be this black square on my desktop?

/u/Super0riginalName, Aug 17, 2020

2. Windows 10 desktop Icons are blotted with small black square

Original title: My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

My desktop Icons are blotted out with a small black square in them in Windows 10

MarianneCusick, Aug 17, 2020
  3. sammy Win User
    How to remove arrows from desktop icons in Windows 10 without getting black squares?

Part 1 - Remove arrows once (will break on reboot or re-login)

• Type regedit in the Windows search bar and select regedit at the top of the list.
    • In the regedit program, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    • Right click on the Explorer folder, hover over New, then click Key. Name it Shell Icons and click enter or whatever to create it.
    • Click the new Shell Icons folder. In the right pane, right click on the empty space, hover over New, and click String Value. Name it 29.
    • Double click the String Value 29 you just created and give it the following value data: %windir%\System32\shell32.dll,-50
    • May or may not have to reboot I forget. Check your desktop icons first to see.

Part 2 - Fix the black squares problem

When you reboot or login after Part 1, where the arrows once were there will now be black squares. To permanently fix the black squares problem, a short script will run automatically every time you login to fix the icons before you see them. Non-programmers can easily follow these simple steps.

• Open Notepad.
    • Paste in the following and save it to the desktop as fixdesktopicons.bat (name not important, file extension .bat is important). Basically it deletes the corrupted part of the icon data.

• Press Windows key + r
    • Type shell:startup and press OK. This will open a folder where you can put scripts that you want to have run automatically whenever you login.
    • Copy the script (.bat file) from your desktop and paste it into this folder you reached by doing shell:startup.
    • Reboot the computer for changes to take effect.

Now whenever you login or reboot there will be nice icons with no arrows and no black squares either.

sammy, Aug 17, 2020
  4. Tenforo Active Member

does anyone know why there might be this black square on my desktop?

Tenforo, Aug 17, 2020
Thema:

does anyone know why there might be this black square on my desktop?

1. does anyone know why there might be this black square on my desktop? - Similar Threads - does anyone why

2. Does anyone know a solution? Seems it might be a driver issue?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Does anyone know a solution? Seems it might be a driver issue?: My monitor seems to be divided into four screens with illegible text and black gap at the bottom. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-anyone-know-a-solution-seems-it-might-be-a/8e6cacb7-3cf5-4bb1-92f0-6be3d077f319
  3. Does anyone know why the microsoft.microsoftskydrive_8wekyb3d8bbwe and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does anyone know why the microsoft.microsoftskydrive_8wekyb3d8bbwe and...: Does anyone know why the microsoft.microsoftskydrive_8wekyb3d8bbwe and microsoft.office.sway_8wekyb3d8bbwe occur when trying to enrol new devices in InTunes using Set up for school Pcs?...
  4. Does anyone know why the microsoft.microsoftskydrive_8wekyb3d8bbwe and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does anyone know why the microsoft.microsoftskydrive_8wekyb3d8bbwe and...: Does anyone know why the microsoft.microsoftskydrive_8wekyb3d8bbwe and microsoft.office.sway_8wekyb3d8bbwe occur when trying to enrol new devices in InTunes using Set up for school Pcs?...
  5. Does anyone knows why the microsoft.microsoftskydrive_8wekyb3d8bbwe and...

Does anyone knows why the microsoft.microsoftskydrive_8wekyb3d8bbwe and...: Does anyone knows why the microsoft.microsoftskydrive_8wekyb3d8bbwe and microsoft.office.sway_8wekyb3d8bbwe occur when trying to enrol new devices in InTunes using Set up for school Pcs?...
  6. Does anyone know why my PC does this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does anyone know why my PC does this?: Hi! I have an issue that whenever i try to restart my computer, it goes through the process of restarting, shows the restart screen, and when it needs to go to black screen, and then motherboard screen and windows loading, it does not. Right after restart screen, it drops a...
  7. Does anyone know why my PC does this?

Does anyone know why my PC does this?: Hi! I have an issue that whenever i try to restart my computer, it goes through the process of restarting, shows the restart screen, and when it needs to go to black screen, and then motherboard screen and windows loading, it does not. Right after restart screen, it drops a...
  8. Does anyone know why my PC does this?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Umm... does anyone know why?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Umm... does anyone know why?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Wonderful_Artichoke8 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/uzl9vu/umm_does_anyone_know_why/
  10. There are black boxes in the corner of my desktop icons, does anyone know why?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    There are black boxes in the corner of my desktop icons, does anyone know why?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BaconMan465 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jfiffk/there_are_black_boxes_in_the_corner_of_my_desktop/