Windows 10: Does anyone notice this when running CHKDSK on the boot drive?

Discus and support Does anyone notice this when running CHKDSK on the boot drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Very simple - In a Command Prompt: CHKDSK C: /F /V OS says it will complete upon reboot. Starts at that time and does not cleanly complete - circle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Compumind, May 6, 2021.

1. Compumind Win User

Does anyone notice this when running CHKDSK on the boot drive?

Very simple - In a Command Prompt: CHKDSK C: /F /V OS says it will complete upon reboot. Starts at that time and does not cleanly complete - circle with dots never ends. Have to force a hard shutdown and then boot back up to the desktop. Ideas?

:)

Compumind, May 6, 2021
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, May 6, 2021
  3. rhhollin Win User
    chkdsk on boot drive won't run at startup

I am trying to image my boot hard drive in order to migrate the data to an ssd. The backup software (Macrium Reflect) first checks the file system, but reports an "MFT corrupt error", and indicates to run chkdsk c: /r to fix the issue. I opened power shell and attempted to run chkdsk c: /r, but of course as its a boot drive, it says it can't lock the drive and do I want to have chkdsk run after the next re-start. I indicate Yes, and then restart the PC. As expected, during boot up I get a message saying the disk check will run in like 10 seconds and it counts down. The count down reaches zero and a message indicates that it is starting the scan and repair process. However, after a few seconds, the screen goes black and a normal Windows reboot occurs. I have tried running this over ten times with various combinations of chkdsk c: /f /r /x and the result is almost always the same. Only one time did it actually start to scan the disk, but as it is a lengthy process I let it run overnight and the next morning windows 10 had restarted. I went to check the event log to see what chkdsk had done, and there was no log, almost as if it stopped and rebooted without finishing the chkdsk process.

I am running Windows 10, version 2004, OS Build 19041.685, installed 11/20/2020. The PC is a Dell XPS 8300 with a core i-5 processor and 8 GB of RAM. The hard drive is a 1 TB drive.

Messages on this forum indicated that there was a similar problem in the early 2017 time frame after a Windows update, but that it was fixed in the next release.

Any suggestions on how to solve this are appreciated.

rhhollin, May 6, 2021
  4. Does anyone notice this when running CHKDSK on the boot drive?

how do i run chkdsk fix under administrator in win 10

please list steps to run chkdsk fix in win 10 as administrator

SabrinaWatkins1, May 6, 2021
Thema:

Does anyone notice this when running CHKDSK on the boot drive?

1. Does anyone notice this when running CHKDSK on the boot drive? - Similar Threads - Does anyone notice

2. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  3. chkdsk is not running.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk is not running.: When trying to run a chkdsk on the Operating System Volume C: it does not run but instead shows this following log under system.This is on a Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard Virtual Machine. Running from a Hyper-V. Is the chkdsk failing because of this?I've tried the...
  4. Running CHKDSK

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Running CHKDSK: Hi, i run chkddsk and this is the result but im not sure what to do about it, maybe i should just reinstall win10?C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkddsk 'chkddsk' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk The type of...
  5. Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive: Is it possible to run chkdsk on a Bitlocker drive? I would like to run chkdsk but as this is the system disk when it reboots will it be able to process if the drive is bitlockered? Would I first have to decrypt? V1909 18363.1316 172307
  6. Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Running Chkdsk on a Bitlocker system drive: Is it possible to run chkdsk on a Bitlocker drive? I would like to run chkdsk but as this is the system disk when it reboots will it be able to process if the drive is bitlockered? Would I first have to decrypt? V1909 18363.1316 172307
  7. chkdsk on boot drive won't run at startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk on boot drive won't run at startup: I am trying to image my boot hard drive in order to migrate the data to an ssd. The backup software (Macrium Reflect) first checks the file system, but reports an "MFT corrupt error", and indicates to run chkdsk c: /r to fix the issue. I opened power shell and attempted to...
  8. Chkdsk running on every boot for ssd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Chkdsk running on every boot for ssd drive: Pc randomly restarted by itself a few nights ago and ever since chkdsk runs on every boot for my ssd drive. Wondering if this is something to be concerned about or if chkdsk is now scheduled automatically to run every time? Because there are no issues and pc seems to be...
  9. Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chkdsk not scanning Boot drive: Every time I restart my computer in order to run chkdsk, to scan and repair my boot drive, it will say "Scanning and repairing...". There will never be a percent to indicate progress, it will just continue rebooting after about 5 seconds. If the recommended path is wipe my...
  10. CHKDSK not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK not running: I have errors on C: and scheduled checkdisk to run on restart. The issue is it goes through the countdown for pressing a key to cancel, then it says checking for errors on c but then after a few seconds the screen goes black and goes straight to the windows log in screen....