Windows 10: Does anyone running multiple user accounts have app update issues?

Discus and support Does anyone running multiple user accounts have app update issues? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; We use several user accounts on a single pc. We have a second pc with similar setup (and this happens on both). In recent weeks whenever I log in to my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Scottyboy99, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Does anyone running multiple user accounts have app update issues?

We use several user accounts on a single pc. We have a second pc with similar setup (and this happens on both). In recent weeks whenever I log in to my account and a native app updates we run into a issue. As an example, Photos may update on my acc and then open fine but we find that going into another user account such as my wife’s afterwards will run into a problem opening the app. Blue box saying this app can’t open . I think one of the recent cumulative updates introduced this. It’s easily fixed as all need to do is open store app in my wife’s acc and check for app updates, the app will then update itself for this user too and all is fine. Opens no issues. It’s an annoying workaround as before this began opening a native app that has been updated on another user acc would usually just invoke a quick white install line under the app in the start menu and it would then either open or just require another click to open it.

Anyway annoying workaround aside I worry about something that may cause a bigger problem. What happens when the actual store app itself gets it’s next update (as I am sure will happen at some stage). If we run into this issue there is no way for the affected user to then open the store app to update itself. As the workaround to open the store app will be affected (if that makes sense). Any thoughts as I can see this possibly occurring in the future? Anyone else note the same recent behaviour with native app updates (I know running multiple user accounts on a single pc is prob not amazingly common). If so, what are your workarounds/approaches?

:)

Scottyboy99, Mar 20, 2019

2. ACCOUNT USER & APP STORE PROBLEMS

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

I understand your concern and will help you with the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to answer the following question:

• Are you using Microsoft account or local account?

• What error message exactly are you getting?
    The issue might occur due to limited access if you are using other account other than Microsoft account or some corruption in system files.

I suggest you to follow the methods:

Method 1

I would suggest you to try running Windows store app troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the
      Search
      area on the taskbar.

• Click on View all on the left panel of the Troubleshooting Windows.

• Select Windows store Apps.

• Follow the on screen instruction.

Method 2

If you are using Microsoft account then I suggest you to run the Microsoft account troubleshooter.

Microsoft Account troubleshooter

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=268424

If you are using local account, I would suggest you to create a microsoft account and check.

Please follow the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Note: applies to windows 10 as well

Method 3

I suggest you to reset the windows store cache.

Follow the below steps:

Reset Windows Store cache

1. Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.

2. Type wsreset.exe and press Enter.

You can also refer the article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/why-find-install-app-windows-store

Please get back to us with the updated status. WE will be happy to assist you further.

AmritaBhattacharjee1709, Mar 20, 2019
  3. New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Mar 20, 2019
  4. Does anyone running multiple user accounts have app update issues?

State of native apps on multiple user accounts after creators update

I haven't installed creators update yet but I have seen a few disturbing accounts of people saying the native app tiles and start menu entries are screwed up after the update for other user accounts on their machines. The apps such as store, mail, calendar etc look ok for the main user in which the update was run/installed but logging into other user accounts once the update has finished the problem exists. As a family that relies heavily on separate user accounts this is worrying. I want to establish if this is widespread or whether these are just sporadic and isolated reports. What are other people seeing on their other user accounts? Someone posted a powershell fix helped them but the whole process is unpredictable and akin to playing Russian roulette with your pc as it can easily destroy the native apps too. If this is a true side effect of installing the creators update then it's an awful oversight and something QA testing should easily of spotted especially given the relentless insider releases that MS throws out. Are multiple user accounts really so rare that MS wouldn't of noticed the issue?

Scottyboy99, Mar 20, 2019
Thema:

Does anyone running multiple user accounts have app update issues?

1. Does anyone running multiple user accounts have app update issues? - Similar Threads - Does anyone running

2. Does anyone else have this issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does anyone else have this issue?: I tried to open settings, but it just shows a blue screen with a gear then closes. I can't enter or get on settings at all whatsoever, even when running as administrator....
  3. Does anyone else have this issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does anyone else have this issue?: I tried to open settings, but it just shows a blue screen with a gear then closes. I can't enter or get on settings at all whatsoever, even when running as administrator....
  4. Does anyone else have this issue?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Multiple user accounts running after startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple user accounts running after startup: Hi,I have 2 accounts set up on my PC one is for personal use and second for work.Personal is Microsoft account and Work is just local user with administrator privileges. All accounts are password protected.I have noticed that when, after startup, I am logging in to my...
  6. Multiple user accounts running after startup

Multiple user accounts running after startup: Hi,I have 2 accounts set up on my PC one is for personal use and second for work.Personal is Microsoft account and Work is just local user with administrator privileges. All accounts are password protected.I have noticed that when, after startup, I am logging in to my...
  7. Does anyone else have this issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does anyone else have this issue?: Since my windows update in Feb 2023 on my laptop, I only get 100% volume through the speakers it doesn't matter what volume level or mute. Can someone please assist? Thanks...
  8. Does anyone else have this issue?

Does anyone else have this issue?: Since my windows update in Feb 2023 on my laptop, I only get 100% volume through the speakers it doesn't matter what volume level or mute. Can someone please assist? Thanks...
  9. Does anyone have a fix for the windows 10 updates issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does anyone have a fix for the windows 10 updates issue?: My Windows 10 PC version 21H2 will not install updates of any kind. They will download but not install. It stops at 30% every time. I have to force a shutdown and let the system try to diagnose and repair, then undo changes made to get the system running again. I have tried...
  10. Does anyone know how to bypas this issue user account password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does anyone know how to bypas this issue user account password: I swear this is the biggest dumbest updated issue that has never been a windows problem before since windows 7. I buy my computers used. And yes I made my own ms account but I'm trying to install a program and its asking me for the previous owners pin or password for me to...