Windows 10: Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer?

Discus and support Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Are any Windows 10 policies or settings changed when you create a work/school account to Windows? Obviously, I mean settings other than the addition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jaygourley, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer?

Are any Windows 10 policies or settings changed when you create a work/school account to Windows? Obviously, I mean settings other than the addition of the account. Is it possible that creating the school account will affect the operation of my computer when I'm not connected to school? This is a troubleshooting question, not a privacy question. I just want to know if merely creating the account changes anything else. Can my school implement some policy to "protect" me without my knowledge? Windows sometimes displays messages referring questions to a group or domain administrator even though I'm just a lonely home user. And I wonder if that might be related to having added a school account to my PC. It's strange I don't see this discussed anywhere.

:)

jaygourley, Sep 16, 2020

2. personal and school accounts linked?

When I set up my personal microsoft account, it was linked to my school account. I'm not sure how exactly I linked it, but I began having issues where I would log into my personal account and it would only show me my school account. I got a new computer
    and bought a subscription to microsoft office. However my new computer thinks I only have the subscriptions and license associated with my school account. I wouldn't care that much, but my access to office and windows through my school account is about to
    expire. I've also downloaded a ton of software for a new program I'm about to start, so I'd rather not set up a new username and start from scratch. Does anyone know how to help??

SarahMiller8, Sep 16, 2020
  3. 2 school accounts

Hello Harry,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

If you are facing issues with syncing data of OneDrive from your School account, then I suggest you to follow the steps to

fix OneDrive sync problems

However, if you want to add your School’s OneDrive account to your Windows 10 computer, then please follow the steps

how do I merge my personal and school Microsoft accounts?

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer?

Windows 10 Education Group Policy effect for Personal Computers

Hello,

As a student, I can get Windows 10 Education for free from my school's Microsoft Imagine program that they got for us. I was thinking of upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Education. One thing I am worried about is that my school's group policy
    would then take effect, controlling some settings like they do at the school computers. I am aware that this can happen if I use my school's Microsoft email account to sign in on my computer or connect the account to my computer but I will not
    do that. I will only use my personal Microsoft email.

So basically, if I upgrade my PC to Windows 10 Education, will I have full control like I do now with Home, or will my school's Group policy take over?

Thank you in advance.

Vanilla_Donut, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer?

1. Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer? - Similar Threads - Does attaching school

2. Using my Personal Computer for both personal and School use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using my Personal Computer for both personal and School use: I have a windows 11 desktop logged in with my personal Microsoft account. In addition, school is about to start and I would like to use my PC for both personal and school use. If I press the connect button and link my school account what would my school IT control as it says...
  3. Delete School account in my personal windows Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete School account in my personal windows Issue: I have already graduated, and my school account has been cancelled by my university. The school account has not been used for several months.I am thinking to delete the School Account in my Windows, but it didn't work, cause the only way to delete the account need log in to...
  4. Delete School account in my personal windows Issue

Delete School account in my personal windows Issue: I have already graduated, and my school account has been cancelled by my university. The school account has not been used for several months.I am thinking to delete the School Account in my Windows, but it didn't work, cause the only way to delete the account need log in to...
  5. Logging into school account changed my settings/policies on home PC.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Logging into school account changed my settings/policies on home PC.: Recently Microsoft Teams, something I have used for school on my personal computer at home, kept crashing upon start up, saying it has run into an error. Pressing the retry button did absolutely nothing.I figured my computer was having trouble as I changed my password...
  6. Logging into school account changed my settings/policies on home PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Logging into school account changed my settings/policies on home PC.: Recently Microsoft Teams, something I have used for school on my personal computer at home, kept crashing upon start up, saying it has run into an error. Pressing the retry button did absolutely nothing.I figured my computer was having trouble as I changed my password...
  7. Logging into school account changed my settings/policies on home PC.

8. School account also controls personal account, unable to sync settings or change a number...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    School account also controls personal account, unable to sync settings or change a number...: Hey, I've recently lost control over a number of settings on my own PC thanks to my school account; Yet I don't use said school account anywhere but the E-mail client. I can't change any diagnostic settings, I'm unable to have my personal account sync to the servers and any...
  9. School account changing policies

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    School account changing policies: During online learning, I downloaded MS Teams and used my email from our organization. This added a Microsoft account to my device. I believe that this account changed some policies like login with fingerprint (sorted) and it limits my access to Windows Defender settings...
  10. personal and school accounts linked?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    personal and school accounts linked?: When I set up my personal microsoft account, it was linked to my school account. I'm not sure how exactly I linked it, but I began having issues where I would log into my personal account and it would only show me my school account. I got a new computer and bought a...