Windows 10: Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer?

Discus and support Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Are any Windows 10 policies or settings changed when you create a work/school account to Windows? Obviously, I mean settings other than the addition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jaygourley, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer?

Are any Windows 10 policies or settings changed when you create a work/school account to Windows? Obviously, I mean settings other than the addition of the account. Is it possible that creating the school account will affect the operation of my computer when I'm not connected to school? This is a troubleshooting question, not a privacy question. I just want to know if merely creating the account changes anything else. Can my school implement some policy to "protect" me without my knowledge? Windows sometimes displays messages referring questions to a group or domain administrator even though I'm just a lonely home user. And I wonder if that might be related to having added a school account to my PC. It's strange I don't see this discussed anywhere.

:)

jaygourley, Sep 16, 2020

2. personal and school accounts linked?

When I set up my personal microsoft account, it was linked to my school account. I'm not sure how exactly I linked it, but I began having issues where I would log into my personal account and it would only show me my school account. I got a new computer
    and bought a subscription to microsoft office. However my new computer thinks I only have the subscriptions and license associated with my school account. I wouldn't care that much, but my access to office and windows through my school account is about to
    expire. I've also downloaded a ton of software for a new program I'm about to start, so I'd rather not set up a new username and start from scratch. Does anyone know how to help??

SarahMiller8, Sep 16, 2020
  3. 2 school accounts

Hello Harry,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

If you are facing issues with syncing data of OneDrive from your School account, then I suggest you to follow the steps to

fix OneDrive sync problems

However, if you want to add your School’s OneDrive account to your Windows 10 computer, then please follow the steps

how do I merge my personal and school Microsoft accounts?

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 16, 2020
  4. Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer?

Windows 10 Education Group Policy effect for Personal Computers

Hello,

As a student, I can get Windows 10 Education for free from my school's Microsoft Imagine program that they got for us. I was thinking of upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Education. One thing I am worried about is that my school's group policy
    would then take effect, controlling some settings like they do at the school computers. I am aware that this can happen if I use my school's Microsoft email account to sign in on my computer or connect the account to my computer but I will not
    do that. I will only use my personal Microsoft email.

So basically, if I upgrade my PC to Windows 10 Education, will I have full control like I do now with Home, or will my school's Group policy take over?

Thank you in advance.

Vanilla_Donut, Sep 16, 2020
Thema:

Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer?

1. Does attaching to a school account change Windows settings or policies on my personal computer? - Similar Threads - Does attaching school

2. How to change my school account to a Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change my school account to a Microsoft account?: Hello all, When I built my computer and started up my Windows 10 a couple of years ago, I was asked to sign in with a Microsoft or School account. I decided to sign in with my School account. I have now graduated and I have concerns that the email address I used would be...
  3. Why does my computer have Windows Update policies set by Group Policy and Mobile Device...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does my computer have Windows Update policies set by Group Policy and Mobile Device...: [ATTACH] See the three policies under "Policies set on your device"? I didn't set those myself with Group Policy and this device is not enrolled in any MDM as shown here: [ATTACH] So why are those policies set? How can I get rid of them? Thanks, Jacob...
  4. Why does my computer have Windows Update policies set by Group Policy and Mobile Device...

Why does my computer have Windows Update policies set by Group Policy and Mobile Device...: [ATTACH] See the three policies under "Policies set on your device"? I didn't set those myself with Group Policy and this device is not enrolled in any MDM as seen here: [ATTACH] So why are those policies set? How can I get rid of them? Thanks, Jacob...
  5. ok i have a personal account and a buissness account i set up computer with my personal...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    ok i have a personal account and a buissness account i set up computer with my personal...: this is the error message I get when tring to link the two please help This email is part of a reserved domain. Please enter a different email address....
  6. My hotmail account changed the settings on my work computer

My hotmail account changed the settings on my work computer: I had to check an important email on my hotmail account. When I went to sign in to Hotmail just using the internet it changed my work computer wall paper to the same as I have on my home computer. Why did this happen? Is there anyway of reverting my work computer to where is...
  7. Microsoft OneDrive and Account Transition from School to Personal

Microsoft OneDrive and Account Transition from School to Personal: I have been having difficulty with my OneDrive Account and other computer issues. My previous account was linked to a school account and assumed that account restrictions from that account may be causing the problems. I have been working on transitioning things to a different...
  8. personal and school accounts linked?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    personal and school accounts linked?: When I set up my personal microsoft account, it was linked to my school account. I'm not sure how exactly I linked it, but I began having issues where I would log into my personal account and it would only show me my school account. I got a new computer and bought a...
  9. Remove "Work and School Account" associated with same email as Personal account

Remove "Work and School Account" associated with same email as Personal account: I repeatedly receive a login request when trying to access shared files or my OneNote account that tells me I have two accounts with the same email address: "It looks like this email is used with more than one account from Microsoft. Which one do you want to use? Work or...
  10. Sync personal microsoft account and school microsoft account

Sync personal microsoft account and school microsoft account: I have one Microsoft account for School and one for personal usage (using multiple devices). How do I sync both accounts like, edge browsing history-favourites, windows personalize settings, etc.?...