Windows 10: Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?

Discus and support Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. I have two drives, one with windows which is my main system, which has bitlocker. And another storage drive, which also has bitlocker. When I first... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Soldier, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Soldier Win User

Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?

Hi. I have two drives, one with windows which is my main system, which has bitlocker. And another storage drive, which also has bitlocker. When I first boot up my PC, I have to enter my bitlocker password to access my PC. And then I also have to enter the bitlocker password for the second storage drive. This is good.

When I use hibernation mode, my computer switches off, and then when I load my computer back up, I will have to input the bitlocker password for my main windows drive again. But the problem is this time, the storage drive is already unlocked. It doesnt ask me to enter the bitlocker password for the storage drive again. It seems this is staying unlocked as soon as its unlocked the initial time.

So my question is, during hibernation, does this mean my storage drive is always unlocked, and technically somebody could take this drive out of my system, and the data will already be unlocked? Or is there a way to force the second storage drive to always be locked when I hibernate my PC? Just like it does with the main drive.

:)

Soldier, Feb 15, 2019
  2. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Feb 15, 2019
  3. Viruzz Win User
    HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Feb 15, 2019
  4. Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?

BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424315(v=ws.10).aspx

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 15, 2019
Thema:

Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?

1. Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating? - Similar Threads - Does bitlocker automatically

2. My D drive automatically get locked by bitlocker.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My D drive automatically get locked by bitlocker.: My D drive was locked automatically by bitlocker and i was not enable that so, i have no recovery key and after that i reinstall the window 11 then the same thing show D drive was locked . I have very personal data in it so please find some solution for it . You recover that...
  3. My D drive automatically get locked by bitlocker.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My D drive automatically get locked by bitlocker.: My D drive was locked automatically by bitlocker and i was not enable that so, i have no recovery key and after that i reinstall the window 11 then the same thing show D drive was locked . I have very personal data in it so please find some solution for it . You recover that...
  4. Re-locking a drive with BitLocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-locking a drive with BitLocker: I have a data drive with all the contents encrypted with Bitlocker not the system drive. The OS is Windows 11.When I first boot my computer, the drive is password protected and I see the "lock" icon over the drive in the File Manager. I need to enter the password to access...
  5. Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically: Hi,I have recently reset my PC to have a clean installation of Windows in C drive. PC reset was successful but my D & E drives are automatically locked by Bitlocker. I have contacted Microsoft for resolution. It seems that the drives are locked automatically by Bitlocker due...
  6. External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It

External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It: Hi there, I need help with my external hard drive which has all my data and I badly need to recover it. I don't know but there has been some technical glitch due to which the bitlocker lock is appearing on my external hard drive. Neither I nor anybody else turned on...
  7. Automatic restart for updates does not happen anymore when Laptop is hibernating

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatic restart for updates does not happen anymore when Laptop is hibernating: On my Laptop with Win 10 1909 64 bit I have the problem that Windows will not automatically reboot to finish an update when I switched off to hibernation. I have set active hours to 7 am to 1 am and previously when updates were available Windows automatically rebooted the...
  8. Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does bitlocker automatically lock the second drive when hibernating?: Hi. I have two drives, one with windows which is my main system, which has bitlocker. And another storage drive, which also has bitlocker. When I first boot up my PC, I have to enter my bitlocker password to access my PC. And then I also have to enter the bitlocker password...
  9. Automatically locking BitLocker volumes

Automatically locking BitLocker volumes: Is there an easy way to have certain BitLocker volumes lock automatically after a period of user absence and lack of reading/writing to the volumes? Perhaps a utility that does this? I've been playing with a scheduled task, but so far, it locks the volumes when I don't...
  10. Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive

Bitlocker conflict on second fixed drive: Hi I've just replaced my laptop. Both old and new had / have two fixed drives - C drive with the OS one and then a second fixed local drive (mapped as K) that I want to use for backups. On my old laptop I had Bitlocker full drive encryption working for both, using the...