Windows 10: Does Bitlocker need to be disabled before turning on TPM

Discus and support Does Bitlocker need to be disabled before turning on TPM in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a motherboard with Firmware TPM not yet enabled. I do not have bitlocker enabled on the C drive with the Windows 10 Pro OS on it. However, I do... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by iSCUBA4sharks, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Does Bitlocker need to be disabled before turning on TPM

I have a motherboard with Firmware TPM not yet enabled. I do not have bitlocker enabled on the C drive with the Windows 10 Pro OS on it. However, I do have bitlocker enabled on a separate partition/drive that has my important data files.My question is whether I need to remove the bitlocker encryption before turning on TPM and then re-enabling the bitlocker encryption afterwards? What is the recommended workflow to do this?Thanks in advance...

:)

iSCUBA4sharks, Jul 9, 2021
  2. Yan.S Win User

Bitlocker without TPM

Hi there,

I'm trying to use Bitlocker without TPM

My version is Windows 10 Home, and I try to follow -

To turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption on a computer without a compatible TPM

1. Click Start, type gpedit.mscin the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    2. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    3. In the Local Group Policy Editor console tree, click Local Computer Policy, click Administrative Templates, click Windows Components, and then clickBitLocker Drive Encryption.
    4. Double-click the setting Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options.
    5. Select the Enabled option, select the Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM check box, and then click OK.
    You have changed the policy setting so that you can use a startup key instead of a TPM.

1. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.
    2. To force Group Policy to apply immediately, you can click Start, typegpupdate.exe /forcein the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    4. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.
    5. On the BitLocker Drive Encryption page, click Turn On BitLocker. This will only appear with the operating system volume.
    6. On the Set BitLocker Startup Preferences page, select the Require Startup USB Key at every startup option. This is the only option available for non-TPM configurations. This key must be inserted each time before you start
      the computer.
    7. Insert your USB flash drive in the computer, if it is not already there.
    8. On the Save your Startup Key page, choose the location of your USB flash drive, and then click Save.
    9. On the Save the recovery password page, you will see the following options:
    · Save the password on a USB drive. Saves the password to a USB flash drive.

· Save the password in a folder. Saves the password to a folder on a network drive or other location.

· Print the password. Prints the password

While I have a problem on step 4.

Double-click the setting Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options.

I can find "BitLocker Drive Encryption" on my group policy editor, while I cannot find
    Control Panel Setup: Enable Advanced Startup Options anywhere.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Yan

Yan.S, Jul 9, 2021
  3. FingerPrint With TPM and Bitlocker

I want to use fingerprint as bitlocker/TPM's password/PIN. Please Guide me step by step

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

ManjeetDhariwal, Jul 9, 2021
  4. Does Bitlocker need to be disabled before turning on TPM

Windows 10 Pro - Turn Bitlocker on

Hello Debbie,

By default, BitLocker will use a TPM to unlock the Windows OS drive with.

If a TPM is not available, then you would need to configure a group policy to allow using BitLocker without a TPM and with a password or USB instead.

The tutorial below with step 5, can show you step by step on how to do this.

Turn On or Off BitLocker for Operating System Drive in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Jul 9, 2021
Thema:

Does Bitlocker need to be disabled before turning on TPM

1. Does Bitlocker need to be disabled before turning on TPM - Similar Threads - Does Bitlocker need

2. Does Windows 10 need TPM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 10 need TPM?: Yeah, this question is already out there, but the respondents DON'T REALLY ANSWER IT.They approach it as though you had w10 already installed and want to turn it off.1 -- Simply put: CAN I INSTALL w10 without a TPM module, PERIOD?2 -- MY system works bloody well fine for what...
  3. Does Windows 10 need TPM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Windows 10 need TPM?: Yeah, this question is already out there, but the respondents DON'T REALLY ANSWER IT.They approach it as though you had w10 already installed and want to turn it off.1 -- Simply put: CAN I INSTALL w10 without a TPM module, PERIOD?2 -- MY system works bloody well fine for what...
  4. Windows activating BitLocker upon disabling TPM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activating BitLocker upon disabling TPM: So picture this: You spam the F9 key to boot into BIOS settings. And then disable the TPM. But then all the sudden there's a BitLocker recovery screen. But you don't have Windows Pro... That's what I'm basically implying. Windows freaked out over disabling TPM. And yeah I...
  5. Windows activating BitLocker upon disabling TPM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows activating BitLocker upon disabling TPM: So picture this: You spam the F9 key to boot into BIOS settings. And then disable the TPM. But then all the sudden there's a BitLocker recovery screen. But you don't have Windows Pro... That's what I'm basically implying. Windows freaked out over disabling TPM. And yeah I...
  6. Windows activating BitLocker upon disabling TPM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows activating BitLocker upon disabling TPM: So when I went to go disabled TPM and Windows instantly freaked out and enabled BitLocker upon disabling TPM, and you may be thinking! Why can't you just switch to a different version of Windows to stop that. Well believe it or not I'm on Windows home! So that means I don't...
  7. Turn on bitlocker without TPM - I don't have, but I anyway don't need a TPM - I want to...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn on bitlocker without TPM - I don't have, but I anyway don't need a TPM - I want to...: I have Windows 20H2. I'm unable to turn on the Bitlocker drive encryption. It's insisting that TPM must be turned on. I don't have but anyway I don't need TPM. I want as my other computers are configured to have a startup password for the drive. I changed the "Require...
  8. BitLocker - Clearing the TPM before Re-Install?

BitLocker - Clearing the TPM before Re-Install?: I have BitLocker enabled on my internal SSD drive with TPM and PIN protection. If I decide to reinstall Windows, do I need to Clear the TPM before doing so? 140818
  9. Turn on Bitlocker without TPM but dont need to fill password at startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn on Bitlocker without TPM but dont need to fill password at startup: Hello everyone, I have a question now, I am controlling many desktops and laptops and I need to turn on Bitlocker for all drives. However, I check the bios and some computers dont have TPM module. I only can turn on TPM by edit gpedit but those computers require password...
  10. Bitlocker with TPM

Bitlocker with TPM: Hi , I,m not sure if this is the right place to post this . Anyway , My query is about encryption on win10 pro . Previously I had a laptop with no TPM so I had to us the group policy editor to allow encryption to work , fine ,all was working and I had to type a password...