Windows 10: Does Bitlocker prevent a thief from using my laptop?

Discus and support Does Bitlocker prevent a thief from using my laptop? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have had two Windows laptops stolen in as many years. I am trying to find a way to make my laptop useless to a thief and am wondering if Bitlocker... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Marcu1313, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Marcu1313 Win User

Does Bitlocker prevent a thief from using my laptop?

I have had two Windows laptops stolen in as many years. I am trying to find a way to make my laptop useless to a thief and am wondering if Bitlocker will do the trick. For instance, if I use Bitlocker on my system does that only protect the HD and data or will that also protect the system from reuse/sale if the thief swaps the locked hard drive with a new one? Thank you in advance for you responses.

:)

Marcu1313, Nov 5, 2018
  2. Paola Gar Win User

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Nov 5, 2018
  4. Frick Win User

New Thief Trailer!

That last bit when the guards stepped out and he unslung the bow was bull. YOU DON'T FACE GUARDS IN THIEF!

Frick, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Bitlocker prevent a thief from using my laptop? - Similar Threads - Does Bitlocker prevent

2. Sea Of Thiefs

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Sea Of Thiefs: Hello.I have a problem with Sea of Thiefs Instant Gameing support was send me here to solve the problemIt always came up with "Already has be reedemed,, And in the top my email..... United States but my region is Serbia...
  3. Bitlocker prevents modifying/deletion from non-bitlocker drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker prevents modifying/deletion from non-bitlocker drives: I accidentally turned on bitlocker for one drive c: and now I can't modify or delete anything on other drives d:, e:. No "delete" context menu option is available for any files on d: or e: and deleting through the "del" command says "Access denied". I didn't modify the file...
  4. thief company

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    thief company: I used One drive from Microsoft for years for sharing folders between my mobile phone, desktop computer and laptop. I shared university material, assignment projects for 5 different modules, also as a graphic designer I shared hundreds of projects and folders with ideas...
  5. thief company

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    thief company: I used One drive from Microsoft for years for sharing folders between my mobile phone, desktop computer and laptop. I shared university material, assignment projects for 5 different modules, also as a graphic designer I shared hundreds of projects and folders with ideas...
  6. thief company

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Preventing Stolen Laptop From Being Used

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preventing Stolen Laptop From Being Used: If someone steals a Windows laptop (in my case a Surface Pro 6 for example), is there any way to prevent that person from formatting the drive and installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 to bypass my login password? I started thinking about how easy it seems to bypass the...
  8. How does BitLocker help in the prevention of reset password from changing utilman.exe to...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How does BitLocker help in the prevention of reset password from changing utilman.exe to...: I have read an article of how to prevent Windows password reset hacks. I would like to know how BitLocker secure users from changing utilman.exe to cmd.exe using Linux live boot cd and from there open cmd.exe on Login Screen and change the root password. Reference link:...
  9. BitLocker - Used Space Encryption on used Laptop?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker - Used Space Encryption on used Laptop?: I tried several times to encrypt the entire disk after reinstalling Windows 10 but it always took for ever (usually 10 hours) to fully encrypt my internal 320GB drive. I managed to run bitlocker successfully by encrypting only used space. My question is should I run...
  10. Does my BitLocker Use hardware acceleration?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Does my BitLocker Use hardware acceleration?: Hi all, Recently I assembled my new computer, key specs for my question: CPU Intel i7-7700K MB ASUS ROG Strix Z270I Samsung 500GB 960 EVO NVMe M.2 One of the reasons why I bought Samsung 500GB EVO is because I red that it supports hardware encryption and i thought all...