Windows 10: Does changing the device name affect licensing?

Discus and support Does changing the device name affect licensing? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Under Settings --> About --> Device Name I saw a name all in upper caps not given by me. How does W10 Pro choose such a name? But mainly I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mpager5, Sep 12, 2021.

1. mpager5 Win User

Does changing the device name affect licensing?

Under Settings --> About --> Device Name I saw a name all in upper caps not given by me. How does W10 Pro choose such a name? But mainly I was wondering if changing that name seeing that it could be done affect the license in any way Group, private or whatever?Thank youOS: Windows 10 Pro ver. 21H1

:)

mpager5, Sep 12, 2021

2. name changes??

If you desire a name change please do the following:

• Ask yourself if you really need a name change.
    • Make sure you have a good reason.
    • Know what you want your new name to be before you request a name change.
    • Send Urlyin a PM containing a decent explanation of your reason as well as your desired name.

Polaris573, Sep 12, 2021
  3. Baleful Win User
    Changing device names and deleting devices

Yeah, you can't delete old/retired machines from the "my grid" page. The only option you have really is to wait a few days then change how it sorts the list:

Does changing the device name affect licensing? ActiveMachines.png

Oh, and Mike is correct, by changing the windows "computer name" it'll change on the "my grid" page.

Baleful, Sep 12, 2021
  4. mike047 Win User

Changing device names and deleting devices

You can't delete "retired" machines....there is some kind of "paper" trail they keep and the "old" devices are kept in archive.

I think???you can change machine names by doing so in windows "computer name" and then it might change[can't remember for sure] if it doesn't do so...detach and do a remove/re install and it should change.

mike047, Sep 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Does changing the device name affect licensing? - Similar Threads - Does changing device

2. CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license: Unable to install minecraft for windows on a windows 11 nitro5 laptop fresh install nothing change ran sfc /cannow no issues detected.And I tried WSReset.exe nothjing works and I checked my account on minecraft microsoft account bedrock eddition just shows as there. and java...
  3. CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license: Unable to install minecraft for windows on a windows 11 nitro5 laptop fresh install nothing change ran sfc /cannow no issues detected.And I tried WSReset.exe nothjing works and I checked my account on minecraft microsoft account bedrock eddition just shows as there. and java...
  4. CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license: I have tried logging in and out of microsoft store and checked for damaged or corrupted files, but nothing has worked. What is happening and how can i fix it?...
  5. CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license

CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license: I have tried logging in and out of microsoft store and checked for damaged or corrupted files, but nothing has worked. What is happening and how can i fix it?...
  6. Does adding a managed account affect others on the device, or the device as a whole?

Does adding a managed account affect others on the device, or the device as a whole?: I have two Microsoft accounts: One my school provides, with access to Office 365 resources, and my personal account, without access to anything special. I have added both accounts to a laptop that I own and share with my family, each with their own separate profiles, and I...
  7. CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license: Replaced Mobo and CPU and now when I try to play a game from the game pass I get a prompt saying "CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license"I used to have windows 10 but I bought a new windows 11 key and did a fresh install of windows.Iv signed out...
  8. CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license

CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license: Replaced Mobo and CPU and now when I try to play a game from the game pass I get a prompt saying "CLiP license id does not match the device in the bound device license"I used to have windows 10 but I bought a new windows 11 key and did a fresh install of windows.Iv signed out...
  9. How to change device name

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change device name: I got a new laptop and the device name is a cryptic thing I'd like to change to something I immediately understand. How do I do that Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-device-name/605a7f2f-93e2-490b-a74f-8ada2e367170
  10. Will changing the computer name affect my restore drive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Will changing the computer name affect my restore drive?: After completing installation of Windows 10 and my programs, I created a usb restore drive. Afterwards, I decided to change the computer name. Does anyone know if that will cause a problem with using my restore drive? (hope I never need it) 53245