Windows 10: Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive?

Discus and support Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Granted...this may be a dumb question...but I botched the upgrade to Win10 by selecting 32-bit instead of 64-bit. *Redface*cry*Sad I'm planning to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by way2ob2se, Aug 3, 2016.

1. way2ob2se Win User

Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive?

Granted...this may be a dumb question...but

I botched the upgrade to Win10 by selecting 32-bit instead of 64-bit. *Redface*cry*Sad
    I'm planning to do a clean install, from a bootable flash using the Media Creator tool (that includes the Ann. update)
    I know I'll lose all my apps and data, and have made two sets of backups on two different media.

Now the questions. Does doing a clean install wipe out all the garbage that has been accumulating, like old registry entries and such? Do I need to do a format of the drive before I do the clean install to make it really "clean" or does the bootable USB use clean and tidy my hard-drive when I use it?

Does the Win10 install automatically populate a "recovery drive" like what came with my machine, or is that something I do separately? (Although I'm not sure I would ever need it, probably opting to go with a USB recovery instead)

This is the first time I've attempted something like this, and I know there are some really good tutorials which I will and have been using to do the install. I'm just not sure about what happens in this kind-of-in-between-what-I-have-and-what-I'll-get part.

As always, thank you so much for your help. I don't know what I'd do without all the help I've been given over the years.

:)

way2ob2se, Aug 3, 2016

2. KB3105213

When (exact date) & how did you do the clean install of Win10 64-bit?

Did you format the hard-drive prior to installing Win10 64-bit or...?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 3, 2016
  3. I can't update Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.227.179.0)

1. 8/10/2016

2. I format the hard-drive and then do a clean install of Win10 using the Media Creation Tool

3. By Media Creation Tool then do a clean install of Win10

4. No in this PC

5. I change it to Pro Edition

DuyNông Hoàng, Aug 3, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello way2ob2se, *Smile

A true clean install would involve deleting all partitions on the hard disk you want to install Windows on. If you like, the tutorial below is the method I prefer to use for doing a clean install.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Brink, Aug 3, 2016
  5. Sounds like you already completed the most important step...to back up your data. You wouldn't have to remove everything, but then it is known as an in-place install. That's usually the option when a repair fails. As Brink said, I prefer clean installs because I can guarantee nothing is left behind.

DeaconFrost, Aug 3, 2016
  6. way2ob2se Win User
    BRINK: Thanks for the quick response. Another dumb question...is the "partition" the same as the "drive" like C: or D: ? I thought "partitions" were only used by users who knew what they were doing, which is NOT me.

DEACON FROST: I don't want to leave anything behind, I want to start from scratch just so I know there is nothing icky left over. Does a clean install remove EVERYTHING from the hard-drive automatically, just like formatting it?

way2ob2se, Aug 4, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah basically, a partition would usually have a drive letter that is on the hard disk.

Brink, Aug 4, 2016
  8. Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive?

It certainly can, but not automatically. You'll come to a screen that sows you how your current drive is formatted, but it gives you an option to delete any partitions to make it a clean, blank drive. Then, when you continue, Windows will partition and format it for you. Since you have your data backed up, you have little to worry about. If you do something wrong, no big deal, you can start over.

DeaconFrost, Aug 4, 2016
  9. way2ob2se Win User
    Deacon Frost - Thank You! I'm going to give this a go this weekend, before an ulcer can form in my belly. *Sad Dealing w/computers at this level always scares me spitless. *Sick But, as long as I have "do-overs" and you guys, I should be OK.

way2ob2se, Aug 4, 2016
  10. Call me crazy, but your data is the most important thing. An operating system, drivers, and programs can all be reinstalled, with time being the only thing to lose. It will be a great learning experience in the end.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive? - Similar Threads - Does clean install

2. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    formatting a windows installed hard drive: hello,i wanted to ask that how to format a windows installed HDD. I have removed the HDD from an old laptop and I want to wipe everything up including windows and use it as an expansion drive for my new computer. The drive has Windows 10 20h2 installed. Thanks :...
  3. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    formatting a windows installed hard drive: hello,i wanted to ask that how to format a windows installed HDD. I have removed the HDD from an old laptop and I want to wipe everything up including windows and use it as an expansion drive for my new computer. The drive has Windows 10 20h2 installed. Thanks :...
  4. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DISK CLEAN, FORMAT OR DELETE DOES NOT WORK WHEN INSTALLING WIN10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISK CLEAN, FORMAT OR DELETE DOES NOT WORK WHEN INSTALLING WIN10.: So, i have searching anywhere and find no solutions for the problem. My problem maybe same with this thread but there's no follow-up...
  6. DISK CLEAN, FORMAT OR DELETE DOES NOT WORK WHEN INSTALLING WIN10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISK CLEAN, FORMAT OR DELETE DOES NOT WORK WHEN INSTALLING WIN10.: So, i have searching anywhere and find no solutions for the problem. My problem maybe same with this thread but there's no follow-up...
  7. DISK CLEAN, FORMAT OR DELETE DOES NOT WORK WHEN INSTALLING WIN10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?: Hi. I have four hard drives in my computer. On one is Windows 10 and I want to reinstall the operating system. In the Windows installation manager (when booting from the stick etc.) you can format the hard drives. The only thing is that I have to unplug my remaining 3...
  9. Cannot format Hard drive to completely install clean Windows

Cannot format Hard drive to completely install clean Windows: Hi, I have a Viglen (Tesco's) Connect 10 tablet (Desktop-CTR0QB9). BIOS - american megatrends Ver 5.008. CPU - Intel Atom z3735G @ 1.33Ghz 32Bit with 64Bit support. Was all up to date with V1709, Malwarebytes, Defender. I was having a problem with the screen and...
  10. Clean win10 install with completely formatted SSD

Clean win10 install with completely formatted SSD: Hi to all I have my Acer laptop around 2 months , and now i want to fresh install win 10 What I've done ,I created USB image via Rufus with Win10 home (which I had on my new laptop preinstalled) I writed down my licence key. Ive booted and cleaned SSD completely with new...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does a clean install of windows 10 format hard drive

2. windows 10 clean install will format the drive

3. win10 install how to really format

4. clean install windows does it format drive,
  5. format before clean install win10