Windows 10: Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing?

Discus and support Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; To switch off a laptop we can click on 'Start / Shutdown' or press the power button. In the event we did this when Windows was in the middle of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by wiganken, Mar 11, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing?

To switch off a laptop we can click on 'Start / Shutdown' or press the power button. In the event we did this when Windows was in the middle of installing updates then the update process continues to complete the installation before fully switching off and we can see this happening on the screen. In this case the installation will complete next time it is switched on.

But what happens when laptop is set to switch off by closing the lid? In this scenario the screen cannot be seen so do the updates continue to install or is the process terminated so that it has to start from scratch again next time laptop is switched on?

I ask because a neighbour's laptop doesn't seem to be 'keeping-up' with updates even though they are 'pushed' by Windows 10 OS. I ask myself why aren't updates being installed and I can only think that closing the lid in the middle of the update process might be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

:)

wiganken, Mar 11, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

LID close screen still on

Well, it was worth checking.

How long have you had this Asus ROG? Has it ever turned off the screen when the lid is closed?

The last post in this thread suggests it may be a hardware problem, the section starting 'Here's an interesting story about the GL502VS in general' describes a sequence of replacements from Asus, one of which behaved this way. Oddly, the OP actually wanted this behaviour.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-lid-is-closed

3. Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Mar 11, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing? - Similar Threads - Does closing lid

2. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  3. Closing the lid on a laptop during updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing the lid on a laptop during updates: My mother bought a laptop with win10 home last year, and it was updated to win11 back in December. She just asked me if she can close the lid after choosing "update windows and shut down". I haven't owned a laptop in over 10 years, well technically I still have an XP laptop...
  4. Lid Close Action

Lid Close Action: Windows 11 on an HP Envy computer. Cannot find, "Lid close action," which should be under "Change Advanced Power Settings." which should be under "Change Plan Settings," which should be under "Power Options," which should be under "Hardware and Sound" which should be under...
  5. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  6. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  7. Closing laptop lid does nothing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Closing laptop lid does nothing: I have tried changing the settings in control panels, updated all the drivers and even clean installed a new copy of windows 10 but nothing seems to work. The thing is the laptop goes to sleep when power button is pressed but does nothing when the lid is closed. I have an HP...
  8. Close a lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Close a lid: When I try to change my lid options in my laptop, it says "some settings are managed by your system administrator". But the problem is that I am already logged in as the administrator. What can I do to fix this other than reinstalling windows. The laptop model that I am...
  9. Laptop stops responding completely after I close the lid, after windows update to 2004

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop stops responding completely after I close the lid, after windows update to 2004: So I got an option to update Windows 10 to version 2004 and after the update. Whenever I close the lid of my Laptop the computer completely freezes. No matter what I do, the screen won't turn back on and even if I disconnect the charger, the led which indicates my laptop is...
  10. Closing lid does not put computer to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing lid does not put computer to sleep: Brand new Dell XPS-13 with Windows 10 Creators Update My laptop does NOT go to sleep when the lid is closed. PLEASE NOTE the following: Settings>System>Power Options>"Choose what closing the lid does">"When I close the lid">Sleep Sleep is the option. 88530