Windows 10: Does corruption of OS is always/generally caused by Virus/Malware?

Discus and support Does corruption of OS is always/generally caused by Virus/Malware? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I always have a folder named 'Temp' at my desktop to keep files temporarily, which later I organise and shift at permanent places. Since yesterday, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by manubhatt3, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Does corruption of OS is always/generally caused by Virus/Malware?

I always have a folder named 'Temp' at my desktop to keep files temporarily, which later I organise and shift at permanent places.
    Since yesterday, I have noticed that its get deleted(like vanished!) automatically without my knowledge. It once got deleted, and I tried to recover the data through a recovery software 'EaseUS' but didn't find any of the files contained within that folder. It was strange that I could find files deleted many weeks/months earlier!
    Ok, then, without any option and bewildered, I created the folder again, and start placing files in that. Now, again I found out that folder is missing.

I contacted Microsoft Support and a tech support person initiated a Remote session. He pasted some command on the 'Windows Powershell' and many red lines were returned. The command was like....app package..., etc. and the return statements were like....there is already a higher version of this app package, so could not.....etc.

He then told me that since the returned lines were red, it indicates that my OS is corrupted. He told that there are two options for me:-
    One, I don't create a folder named 'Temp' again.
    Second, I create a different account(profile) and transfer all my data to it.

I asked him why/how the windows got corrupted, so he said that it is because of virus/malware. When I asked how much sure he is, he said very sure.

But when I looked about Windows corruption on the Internet, I found out that there can be multitude of reasons why Windows can get corrupted. So, I am a little confused.

If anyone can increase my clarity on this, and provide me with any help/info regarding why the 'Temp' folder gets deleted all by itself, and/or how I can get my data back or solve this problem, I will really appreciate.

Thanks.

:)

manubhatt3, Dec 25, 2016

2. Corruption of computer caused by Windows configuring files

George

Please run System File Checker. Select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+X,
    and click Command Prompt (Admin) on the drop down menu. Type
    cd\ and press the ENTER key. Type sfc /scannow and press the
    ENTER key. Please say what is reported when the check completes.

After the process has finished, you may receive one of the following messages

•Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

•Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

•Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

•Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Which message was received?

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after
    the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32
    and click OK . Place the cursor on
    System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save.
    Files in the txt file format are preferred.Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.The system creates
    a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the
    report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your
    System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type
    eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files.
    Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Dec 25, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Dec 25, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Does corruption of OS is always/generally caused by Virus/Malware?

Welcome to the forum. Creating a folder called temp is a fatal mistake as it's same name as Windows temp so will get emptied by lots of things like disk clean if you open a CNC prompt type set you will see that variable is in use. Corruptions is most likely due to crash or not shutting down correct

Samuria, Dec 25, 2016
  5. strollin Win User
    In addition to what Samuria said, disk corruption can often be due to a failing hard drive as well. However, corruption usually doesn't manifest itself as a file or folder vanishing, most often the file/folder will still be there but will not be able to be opened or only part of it being readable.

Something is deleting that temp folder. I doubt it is malware or a virus, as a temp folder would not be a good target for malicious software to delete. When Windows does a disk clean, it doesn't delete temp folders, only empties them, and even then, you have to manually check a box to allow the system to do that. My guess is that some 3rd party software you have installed is doing it.

I would try naming your folder something like "MyTemp" and see if it fares any better.

Personally, I have used folders named Temp and Tmp as a place to put files prior to moving them to permanent location for many years, starting from back in the DOS days, and have never had any of them disappear automatically.

strollin, Dec 25, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    I would actually name that folder "My Temporary Files." I think that would work a lot better.

Also, it sounds like you might have hardware problems, like a failing hard drive, which has absolutely nothing to do with your missing folder.

Rocky, Dec 25, 2016
  7. clam1952 Win User
    Re possible Hard Drive error have a look at event viewer for any warnings or errors relating to disk or disk controller, delayed writes that sort of thing.

I use a Pending folder and don't stick it on the desktop but on one of my data drives and just use a shortcut on the desktop.

clam1952, Dec 26, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

?? I've had a temp folder on my user drive on all PCs over 25 years and never had a problem (even with Windows 10).

My experience of Windows 10 is that many problems are just due to sloppy software engineering and inadequate testing by MS.

Steve C, Dec 27, 2016
  9. AddRAM Win User
    And you named the folder Temp ?

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does corruption of OS is always/generally caused by Virus/Malware? - Similar Threads - Does corruption always

2. Virus and Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus and Malware: Recently a threat was detected in my SurfaceGo Windows 11 but I am unable to take any action.It says "you will need a new app to open this windows defender link" but i am not getting any such app on the app store. Whats the remedy for it ?I am not getting any support from...
  3. Viruses and Malware

Viruses and Malware: I switched to Windows 11 and upon startup recieved a SYSTEM warning that there was an active screen reader with no Unknown file location. Upon entering my Event Viewer I immediatly noticed activity and shared files, photos, password's and so on had taken place. I researched...
  4. Malware or virus

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Malware or virus: So I fully factory reset my pc after I quarantined malware and viruses found on my computer. When I look in normal downloads after the reset the file isn't there but when I go to quick access it shows up in the recent files. It was an crdownload then I opened it in notepad...
  5. Virus or Malware?

Virus or Malware?: I got one of those big square notifications on my computer that says I needed to update. When I pull up the menu It does something It never did before. It gives me three options? shutdown Update and restart restart. I dont know If this Is virus or malware, or some...
  6. Virus and Malware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virus and Malware: Questions about windows update. Just wondering, if I had a problem like virius I was not aware of would updates fix it, or would I be notified of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-and-malware/77dbd6f1-f70e-462f-9861-4934fe968b68
  7. Virus and Malware

Virus and Malware: My computer has been infected by a virus and encrypted all my drives. All my documents have a .peet extension and I can not open them. Any help on how on the decryption of the corrupted files?...
  8. Virus / Malware

in Windows 10 Support
    Virus / Malware: - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit About two weeks ago, I would get periodic popups in the form of a new tab in Edge. On the new tab, it said: “Congratulations User! You have been selected today to receive a FREE iPhone X, PlayStation 4 or Samsung Galaxy S6! Please click OK to claim...
  9. General question - Malware or virus threat

General question - Malware or virus threat: Hello, On turning-on my computer, first thing is updating antivirus (AVG), scan computer, and if I download anything, first is to scan it with the antivirus. Recently I attached an external usb disk (new, clean and empty) and to free some disk space moved many files to the...
  10. Malware or Virus?

Malware or Virus?: I usually use downmagz.com to download magazines. Today, I went to there to get some mags and when I went to the download page I got a popup that said CableONE has blocked the website. Clicked OK and then a page came up with a blue screen and another popup. There was also a...