Windows 10: Does creating a hard link just make a copy??

Discus and support Does creating a hard link just make a copy?? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Okay, say I have file "original.ext", and a hard link "hardlink.ext" which hard links to "original.ext". When I delete "original.ext", "hardlink.ext"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MaxwellCE, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Does creating a hard link just make a copy??

Okay, say I have file "original.ext", and a hard link "hardlink.ext" which hard links to "original.ext".

When I delete "original.ext", "hardlink.ext" still opens just fine.

What's going on here? I thought a hard link is supposed to just point to the target? If the target is deleted, how is it still opening up that file?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I just haven't been able to wrap my head around this yet.

submitted by /u/MaxwellCE
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MaxwellCE, Jul 16, 2020

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jul 16, 2020
  3. rtwjunkie Win User
    UNIGINE-Valley BENCHMARK scores

OK, no problem! It's your list...I was just making a suggestion. No hard feelings?

rtwjunkie, Jul 16, 2020
  4. Does creating a hard link just make a copy??

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

Does creating a hard link just make a copy??

1. Does creating a hard link just make a copy?? - Similar Threads - Does creating hard

2. Does making a recovery drive copy your files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does making a recovery drive copy your files?: So if you make a recovery drive on your pc and use it on a another persons computer that needs recovering will it put your apps and files on the other persons computer....
  3. Does making a recovery drive copy your files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does making a recovery drive copy your files?: So if you make a recovery drive on your pc and use it on a another persons computer that needs recovering will it put your apps and files on the other persons computer....
  4. Sendto: doesn't delete, just creates copy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sendto: doesn't delete, just creates copy: Hello!I have the Sendto: function set up just the way I like it. I use it exclusively to send files to local folders. I don't want the files to remain at the original location once sent, I want them moved - however once sent, I have 2 copies. One at the original location and...
  5. Sendto: doesn't delete, just creates copy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sendto: doesn't delete, just creates copy: Hello!I have the Sendto: function set up just the way I like it. I use it exclusively to send files to local folders. I don't want the files to remain at the original location once sent, I want them moved - however once sent, I have 2 copies. One at the original location and...
  6. Just copy email links to clipboard!!?? Click mailto: links and copy email as default email...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Just copy email links to clipboard!!?? Click mailto: links and copy email as default email...: Sometimes grabbing an email address from an app, website, etc is difficult. When clicking on the link Windows 10 will default to opening your default mail application. Is there an application (open source or otherwise) that would simply copy the email address to the...
  7. When copy and pasting, it embeds the link, is there a way to disable this and just copy the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    When copy and pasting, it embeds the link, is there a way to disable this and just copy the...: It has gotten very annoying and the only workaround I've found is opening a new tab, pasting it, and re-copying it in a new tab. Any solutions? This is what it does: [ATTACH]...
  8. Creating copies

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating copies: Why is my computer creating file copies when holding down CTRL and checking some files? submitted by /u/SmellyFeet2005 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mfmiyq/creating_copies/
  9. How to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt?: Hi, I'm trying to create hard links to folders in Command Prompt, just like junction /j but instead of creating a shorcut, I want to create an actual copy of the folder - hard link make the 'minecraftWorlds' appears like a regular folder. [ATTACH] I used this to create a...
  10. Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows: How to: Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows How to Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows A symbolic link is a file-system object (file or directory) that points to another file system object (file or directory). The object being pointed to is called...