Windows 10: Does Dell Support Assist block networking on newer Dell PCs as a tactic to force driver...

Discus and support Does Dell Support Assist block networking on newer Dell PCs as a tactic to force driver... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Does Dell SupportAssist, on some of the newest Dell PCs only, block all networking on a PC only because driver updates are pending? In other words,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TF_950, Feb 7, 2021.

1. TF_950 Win User

Does Dell Support Assist block networking on newer Dell PCs as a tactic to force driver...

Does Dell SupportAssist, on some of the newest Dell PCs only, block all networking on a PC only because driver updates are pending?

In other words, networking has gone away until driver updates occur, even though the pre-update software for networking is still functional.

Why do I think that the pre-networking software is functional? The Dell update at issue was "Recommended", not "Urgent", but software necessary to run networking would for sure be Urgent.

So it seems that Dell Support Assist blocks networking as a tactic to make driver updates happen. Logic indicates this conclusion.

[Note: This problem may appear only on newer Dells, as it does not appear on two older Dells also in my house, and also with SupportAssist.]

:)

TF_950, Feb 7, 2021
  2. fireberd Win User

windows store corrupted dell support assistant

FWIW we see a lot of users with problems caused by support assistant on the Dell forums and in particular BIOS and driver updates. We advise them to manually download and install any updates, especially BIOS updates as several have wound up with bricked PC's after support assistant BIOS update. Fortunately new (and some newer) Dell PC's now have BIOS recovery options. Older Dell's did not and a failed/corrupt BIOS update and the only option was to replace the motherboard.

fireberd, Feb 7, 2021
  3. Dell Support Assist not wanted but needed?

After a clean installation I check for Windows Updates. Then I go to the Dell website and Detect Drivers which installs Dell Support Assist. Then I run DSA from my PC instead of online and update all the recommended drivers (sometimes you will find that you an get a different result using the online method..In my case with online it recommends installing an older version of my Intel Chipset Drivers which tech support told me to ignore as it is a glitch with DSA software online). If the Intel Chipset Drivers isn't listed as a recommended update by DSA from the desktop (in my case it wasn't listed) I manually install just the Intel Chipset Device Software for my Service Tag afterwards from the Dell website. Then its just personal choice..you could either leave DSA installed or do as I do and uninstall it and just check the Dell website monthly to see if there are any newer updated drivers. If there is just manually install it

sportsfan148, Feb 7, 2021
  4. wiganken Win User

Does Dell Support Assist block networking on newer Dell PCs as a tactic to force driver...

Dell Support Assist not wanted but needed?

I just tried using the Dell website using the "Detect PC" option (which found the correct service tag) and it offered a list of drivers. The only one that I wanted seemed to be 21 months newer than the one installed so I downloaded it and the installer showed a 'Question'. See picture. It seems that when I did have DSA installed it must have installed a later driver but the Dell website did not pick this up and offered me an older driver.

This seems to bear out what Anibor says and I reckon I had better stick to DSA. It is only one program after all ( I got rid of other bloatware) and seems to be safer in that it checks versions and dates better than the website method.

I'll reinstall DSA again and leave it at that. Most of the time it will just sit there since it will only get used about 3 times per year.

Thanks for all replies.

Does Dell Support Assist block networking on newer Dell PCs as a tactic to force driver... [​IMG]

wiganken, Feb 7, 2021
Thema:

1. Does Dell Support Assist block networking on newer Dell PCs as a tactic to force driver... - Similar Threads - Does Dell Support

2. dell support assist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dell support assist: I have the newest and latest version of support assist. when i try to run the hardware scan it keeps failing say exc command failed. Del has been trying to resolve this issue for weeks now. The tried today and said it is a dll error. and that i have to re install the...
  3. dell support assist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dell support assist: I have the newest and latest version of support assist. when i try to run the hardware scan it keeps failing say exc command failed. Del has been trying to resolve this issue for weeks now. The tried today and said it is a dll error. and that i have to re install the...
  4. dell support assist

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Dell Support Assist

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell Support Assist: Support assist launcher or installer will stop as soon as it starts to install. Below is the event log entry, help pease: Log Name: Application Source: MsiInstaller Date: 2/21/2021 9:21:47 PM Event ID: 1024 Task Category: None Level:...
  6. Dells Support Assist?

Dells Support Assist?: This display is now on the bottom of my Dell Desk Top. If I click on it a box comes up. I "X" it out and it comes back. I notice also that my screen no longer turns off if not in use after 15 minutes. It stays on all the time. What is this???...
  7. Support Assist Dell

Support Assist Dell: Every time I try to run Support Assist on my laptop, an error code occurs. BAD POOL CALLER. Can I simply remove this program? Do I really need it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/support-assist-dell/b26fb1d5-fc84-4eec-9e4c-3055a60f67ef
  8. Dell Support Assist

Dell Support Assist: Dell Support Assist program does not work on Windows 10. My laptop is on the Windows Insider Program running Build 190921-1704. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-support-assist/506f837a-e9c6-4929-9490-b1140f6cc47c
  9. Dell Support Assist

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell Support Assist: Dell Support Assist has not been working since the latest Microsoft updates. Will there be a fix soon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-support-assist/9421e14a-3f6a-4efa-9159-e2e5dce7feca
  10. Dell support assistant

Dell support assistant: I am trying to scan computer using Dell support assistant, and it will do everything but scan hardware. I can update drivers and everything else, but scan hardware. I have tried rebooting several times then running support assistant, but still nothing The contract expired 3...