Windows 10: Does disabling bluetooth save power?

Discus and support Does disabling bluetooth save power? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't use Bluetooth so I've disabled the driver in device manager (with the hope of improving battery life) as I can't find any other way of turning... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by adamf, Mar 26, 2015.

1. adamf Win User

Does disabling bluetooth save power?

I don't use Bluetooth so I've disabled the driver in device manager (with the hope of improving battery life) as I can't find any other way of turning it off.

My question is does doing this help? Does disabling the driver turn off the radio or is it still using power but just not available to use?

:)

adamf, Mar 26, 2015
  2. Pobody82 Win User

Bluetooth Disappeared

For my Dell's Bluetooth disappearing act, I have to go into device manager, click view then click show hidden files. The Bluetooth icon will comeback in device manager but it will still say its
    disconnected. I then reset the computer and enter the bios. Once in the bios i click on wireless and one at a time disable /save /enable /save both the wireless switch and wireless device enable boxes (disable one, save, re-enable, save, then do the other).
    Then exit the bios and go back into Windows. This has worked 100% of the time. I've tried reinstalling drivers from both dell and the intel website and that almost never works. Before i figured this out, my Bluetooth would arbitrarily turn back on after
    a day or so. Its weird that it'll disconnect in windows but then i'll dual boot into Linux and Bluetooth is fine.

Pobody82, Mar 26, 2015
  3. Pobody82 Win User
    Bluetooth disappeared Windows 10

For my Dell's Bluetooth disappearing act, I have to go into device manager, click view then click show hidden files. The Bluetooth icon will comeback in device manager but it will still say its disconnected. I then reset the computer and enter
    the bios. Once in the bios i click on wireless and one at a time disable /save /enable /save both the wireless switch and wireless device enable boxes (disable one, save, re-enable, save, then do the other). Then exit the bios and go back into Windows.
    This has worked 100% of the time. I've tried reinstalling drivers from both dell and the intel website and that almost never works. Before i figured this out, my Bluetooth would arbitrarily turn back on after a day or so. Its weird that it'll disconnect
    in windows but then i'll dual boot into Linux and Bluetooth is fine.

Pobody82, Mar 26, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

All you need to do is just to turn the bluetooth off to stop it from scanning which drains the battery.

Edit..

Ooops... I missed the part where you said you can't turn it off. What device is it?
    If it is disabled there is no way it can operate in any way.

badrobot, Mar 26, 2015
  5. adamf Win User
    It's a Broadcom. I was wondering if disabling it is actually going to save power or if it will use the same amount and just not work...

adamf, Mar 26, 2015
  6. badrobot Win User
    Do you see a BT icon on the icon tray? If not you should be good.

badrobot, Mar 26, 2015
  7. adamf Win User
    If I disable the driver then the Bluetooth icon disappears (and I can't access the various settings). I was just unsure what disabling a driver actually does.

I can't tell the difference turning off Bluetooth on my laptop (there are too many other variables) but on my phone it definitely lasts longer if it is turned off.

adamf, Mar 26, 2015
  8. badrobot Win User

Yeah, it should be the same as mobile phone. It adds to battery drain.
    Think of it as the wifi. If you disable the driver, it will stop scanning.

badrobot, Mar 26, 2015
  9. adamf Win User
    Thanks - that is what I was hoping.

adamf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does disabling bluetooth save power? - Similar Threads - Does disabling bluetooth

2. Power saving mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power saving mode: Whenever I am not plugged in as soon as my laptop reaches around 35-40% the power saver mode automatically switches on. My power saver settings are set to turn on at 15%. Please help....
  3. Power save mode

Power save mode: hello I just bought my first NMVE M.2 and when i installed the Windows every time I open my pc after Motherboard logo appearmy pc just enter power saving mode so please help me to solve it Thx for your time...
  4. Disable Intel's Display Power Saving Technology

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable Intel's Display Power Saving Technology: I need to disable Intel's Display Power Saving Technology as it my display keeps changing brightness when I browse through it, disrupting my workflow. However, none of the options to disable it are available in my Windows Windows 10 Professional, see version below. I tried...
  5. USB hard drive keeps entering power save mode after disabling power save through multiple...

USB hard drive keeps entering power save mode after disabling power save through multiple...: I have a USB powered external hard drive that keeps entering a low power mode. I have disabled power save in several different methods outlined below, and the drive continues to enter power save. This is a problem because I am trying to edit video that is stored on the drive...
  6. Cracking noise, disable sound card power saving

Cracking noise, disable sound card power saving: Hello, I started to have cracking noise randomly. After months no problem. I already tried linux and other headphones. I am out of options. How to disable sound card power management?! If it is even possible... My motherboard: asus z390-i gaming. Sound card: ROG SupremeFX...
  7. Does Arc Touch Bluetooth mouse have standby or auto-off power saving feature?

Does Arc Touch Bluetooth mouse have standby or auto-off power saving feature?: Does anyone knows if the Arc Touch Bluetooth mouse has an auto-off or standby feature? If I leave it idle in the "on" i.e. curved position say at the desk, whether it will turn itself off or go into standby automatically after a while? With my old wireless A4Tech or...
  8. How do I disable power save mode for win10 ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How do I disable power save mode for win10 ?: I own a Pc running windows 10 Home 64 bit. Lately, whenever I start up a programs or reading some articles ,it will allow me for a limited amount of time before switching without warning to "Power Save Mode" keep in mind that this can happen at any time, in the middle of...
  9. How do I disable power save mode for win10 ?

How do I disable power save mode for win10 ?: I own a Pc running windows 10 Home 64 bit. Lately, whenever I start up a programs or reading some articles ,it will allow me for a limited amount of time before switching without warning to "Power Save Mode" keep in mind that this can happen at any time, in the middle of...
  10. Power Saving

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Saving: My Dell monitor shuts off at will. I change settings to Never (shut down)(sleep). When this happens I am usually in the middle of what I was doing or listening to. For a while, it was not doing this. Then I got a Windows update and it started all over again. I tried to...