Windows 10: Does DNS server need to be changed in both router and adapter?

Discus and support Does DNS server need to be changed in both router and adapter? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I'm a Verizon FIOS Quantum subscriber. I can easily change to Google's DNS in the Ethernet network adapter, but need I change it in the G-1100... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jackmcgann, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Does DNS server need to be changed in both router and adapter?

So I'm a Verizon FIOS Quantum subscriber. I can easily change to Google's DNS in the Ethernet network adapter, but need I change it in the G-1100 router also?

:)

jackmcgann, Feb 1, 2019

2. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Feb 1, 2019
  3. Change DNS server sttings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

When exactly do you get this error?

Try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Clear the DNS (Domain Name System) cache.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click on the Command prompt(Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns and press
      Enter.

Method 2:

Step 1:

• Connect to your router (by typing 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in the address bar) and log in. Check your user manual or documentation if you do not know the log-in credentials.
    • Make sure you are in the Setup ->Basic Setup category.
    • Scroll down until you see 'DHCP Server' - if it is disabled, select 'Enable'.
    • Enable DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). If you want, you can change the number that the DHCP IP assigning starts (this is optional).
    • Use the DNS (Domain Name System) servers provided to you by your
      ISP (Internet Service Provider). There are many DNS servers out there. It's best to use your ISP's if possible.
    • Scroll down and click 'Save Settings'.
    Step 2:

• Press Windows + X and click on Control Panel.
    • Go to Networking and sharing center and then click on
      Change adapter settings
    • Right click on Local Area Connection and choose
      Properties
    • Highlight Internet Protocol Version 6 and click on
      Properties
    • Choose Obtain DNS server address automatically and press
      Ok.
    • Choose Obtain IP address automatically.
    • Repeat the steps for Internet Protocol version 4 as well.
    • Test the issue.

Hope this helps you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Feb 1, 2019
  4. Does DNS server need to be changed in both router and adapter?

DNS server

Hi,

To troubleshoot your issue, we suggest that you try one or more of the following methods.

Method 1: Restart the router

Remove the power cord from the router. After all lights on the router have gone out, wait at least 10 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord to the router.

Method 2: Configure the TCP/IP settings

Configure the TCP/IP settings. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • Click View network status and tasks under Networking and Internet.
    • Click Change adapter settings.
    • Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    • Select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click Properties.
    • Select Obtain an IPv6 address automatically, select Obtain DNS servers address automatically, and then click OK.
    • Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
    • Select Obtain an IP address automatically, select Obtain DNS servers address automatically, and then click OK.
    Method 3: Use the Ipconfig command-line tool

Use the Ipconfig command-line tool. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click Start, type command prompt in the Search Programs and files box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    • At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press Enter after each command.
    ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

For more information about the Ipconfig commands and what they do, go to the following Microsoft Technet website:

General information about the Ipconfig commands

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Feb 1, 2019
Thema:

Does DNS server need to be changed in both router and adapter?

1. Does DNS server need to be changed in both router and adapter? - Similar Threads - Does DNS server

2. DNS server automatically changes to manual DNS and assigns a DNS server IP by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS server automatically changes to manual DNS and assigns a DNS server IP by itself: DNS settings in Laptop wifi adaptor gets changed automatically to manual DNS and assigns local DNS server IP by itself https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-automatically-changes-to-manual-dns-and/fc65e86e-d189-40ef-8776-c691d61a6adc
  3. DNS server automatically changes to manual DNS and assigns a DNS server IP by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS server automatically changes to manual DNS and assigns a DNS server IP by itself: DNS settings in Laptop wifi adaptor gets changed automatically to manual DNS and assigns local DNS server IP by itself https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-automatically-changes-to-manual-dns-and/fc65e86e-d189-40ef-8776-c691d61a6adc
  4. Can't change DNS server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change DNS server: I'm trying change DNS Server to 8.8.8.8 in my Wi-Fi propeties in IPv4 propeties, but always appear error like thisnot long time ago it can change, how to fix this ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-change-dns-server/e9645394-7ac0-4b91-ab22-eea9f832d869
  5. DNS server not response, can't online, despite change mult new routers

DNS server not response, can't online, despite change mult new routers: I not sure if Networking is the right sub to post this in, please direct me if this not the right sub. Using window 10. This problem giving me a headache. My internet provider is sending a tech guy to my place but he won't come till Monday. So if anyone can help me get this...
  6. Change DNS Server

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change DNS Server: When changing DNS Server do you need to change only Internet Protocol Version 4 or you need to change Internet Protocol Version 6 as well? From what Ive read some include IPv6 some don't so I dont know if I should change both or just IPv4. I wanted to change to Cloudflare...
  7. DNS server does not exist?

DNS server does not exist?: On my laptop windows 10 its not connecting to my wifi it says dns serve does not exist. Ive tried flushing dns using the command and also restarting dns. Still doesn't work...
  8. DNS server does not respond

DNS server does not respond: The DNS server does not respond. Continuous message "Not connected to the internet" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-server-does-not-respond/0ca84c87-da17-40ec-bcd0-568b2ff83cb0
  9. Change Preferred DNS server

Change Preferred DNS server: Hello have fresh installation Windows 10 (up to date), version 1803, build 17134.320 In network configuration Prefered DNS server always has value 172.0.0.1. I make the change to my need and after save and flush DNS ipconfig /flushdns value get back to 172.0.0.1 Thank you...
  10. Changing DNS server

Changing DNS server: Can I use either one of these to change my DNS server. I have a T-Mobile version of the ASUS TM-AC1900 router. The ASUS does not seem to have an alternate address input 92132