Windows 10: Does dual-booting affect windows performance?

Discus and support Does dual-booting affect windows performance? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Note: This question is because I'm trying to diagnose the cause for low performance. Personal context: I have been using windows forever, and around 5... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bloodbirds_, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Does dual-booting affect windows performance?

Note: This question is because I'm trying to diagnose the cause for low performance.

Personal context: I have been using windows forever, and around 5 years back I started using ubuntu because of school and now job related work. I have also dual-booted many systems and they have worked fine, this is a one-off case that I'm seeing.

Problem: I have a lenovo Y700, and at the beginning of this story, it runs only windows 10. Due to the lockdown, I've had a lot of free time to play games and have been playing a lot of CoD:MW. Everything was working fine for the past month with a very stable 50-55fps. A few days back when Ubuntu 20.04 released, I went ahead and dual-booted my laptop (defragmented a drive and then shrunk the volume to make space for ubuntu). As soon as I installed everything and came back to windows, the whole UI became laggy and stutters a lot. Additionally, when playing my games, the fps drops down to 10-15 from around 55. This constant varied fps causes more rage-quits than I care to admit. I have tried reinstalling nvidia drivers, reinstalled shaders in-game, but nothing works.

TL;DR: no problems, getting 50-55fps in CoD -> dual boot ubuntu 20.04 -> windows lagging, fps drops down to 10-15, UI stutters

Question: Is this normal behaviour for the latest versions of windows that are dual-booted? Are there any other ways to diagnose why my system might be running slow?

submitted by /u/bloodbirds_
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bloodbirds_, Apr 26, 2020

2. Performing Dual boot on the computer (Windows 10 and windows xp).

Hi Vaibhav,

You will not face any system performance issues on performing dual boot by loading older Windows version first (Windows XP) and then the latest Windows version (Windows 10) on the computer.

To perform dual boot on the computer, you first have to create partitions to load both the OS onto the drives. Create disk partition by following the steps below and perform dual boot on the computer.

• Press Windows logo + R keys on the keyboard to open
      Run command, type diskmgmt.msc and press
      Enter.

• Right click on OS(CDoes dual-booting affect windows performance? :) hard drive and select
      Shrink Volume.

• Allocate the disk space in MB and click on
      Shrink. An Unallocated drive will be created.

• Right click on the Unallocated drive and select
      New Simple Volume option. Follow the onscreen instructions and provide a drive name/letter in the process.

• Perform dual boot and check if the issue is resolved on the computer.

Write to us with the status of performing dual boot on the computer in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Apr 26, 2020
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Apr 26, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Does dual-booting affect windows performance?

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Does dual-booting affect windows performance?

1. Does dual-booting affect windows performance? - Similar Threads - Does dual booting

2. Does Transparency Affect Performance In Windows 10 21h2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Transparency Affect Performance In Windows 10 21h2?: Hi, So I've Been Wondering, If My Transparency Effects Affect My Gameplay Or Not, I've Been Looking For Articles And Somewhere In Reddit, So In Reddit, Someone Said Transparency Affect Nothing, But In Articles, It Says It Can Affect Performance, I Don't Know Which One Should...
  3. Does Transparency Affect Performance In Windows 10 21h2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Transparency Affect Performance In Windows 10 21h2?: Hi, So I've Been Wondering, If My Transparency Effects Affect My Gameplay Or Not, I've Been Looking For Articles And Somewhere In Reddit, So In Reddit, Someone Said Transparency Affect Nothing, But In Articles, It Says It Can Affect Performance, I Don't Know Which One Should...
  4. Does Transparency Affect Performance In Windows 10 21h2?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Does clean install Windows 10 affects performance on laptops?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does clean install Windows 10 affects performance on laptops?: Hello I want to clean install Windows 10 What I mean by clean install is installing it from a USB boot drive due to some issues, however, I'm concerned that if I do so, windows may install drivers which are not optimized for my laptop, and will my Windows activation go away?...
  6. Low performance after dual-boot.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low performance after dual-boot.: Hello I have a dualboot system on AsusX55C which has Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 , I installed dualboot nearly a month ago. Now Windows takes more time than the other OS and gives a very slow performance. I tried reinstalling windows but nothing changed. I have done some...
  7. How Much Does Virtualization Affect Performance

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How Much Does Virtualization Affect Performance: Good day to all of you, please pardon me if I have done something wrong such as setting an incorrect flair, it is my first time posting on this sub. So, I am currently making plans on making a PC next year, and really wanna run ArchLinux on it, as I've never ran Linux before,...
  8. StartMenuExperienceHost.exe affect performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    StartMenuExperienceHost.exe affect performance: My operating system version is WINDOWS 10 VERSION 1909 / 18363.900 StartMenuExperienceHost.exe is eating up almost all of my Memory/Ram! If anyone comes up with a solution to this problem, please let me know!!! Thanks...
  9. Does it make sense to Dual-Boot W10 - Performance, tweaked / Comfort?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Does it make sense to Dual-Boot W10 - Performance, tweaked / Comfort?: Hi, I have a Lenovo Yoga 500 laptop. Core i7 6500, 8GB RAM. I'm a computer science student, so every bit of performance I can get is welcome. I'm thinking of creating a dual boot system of two Windows 10 installations, where one is tweaked towards the performance...
  10. will dual boot windows 10 1511 and ubuntu 16.04 be affected.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    will dual boot windows 10 1511 and ubuntu 16.04 be affected.: Will dual boot windows 10 1511 and ubuntu 16.04 be affected by anniversary update. Henry 55246