Windows 10: Does every network layer device changes the source IP address in a packet?

Discus and support Does every network layer device changes the source IP address in a packet? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Does every network layer device change the source IP address in a packet? As an example, Router when receives a packet from private network, changes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KARANBIRSINGH2, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Does every network layer device changes the source IP address in a packet?

Does every network layer device change the source IP address in a packet?

As an example, Router when receives a packet from private network, changes the source IP to its own IP and maintains the record in NAT table to keep track of which machine requested what.

Or is it that Router is the only network layer devices in the journey of message from one network to another??

:)

KARANBIRSINGH2, Jul 13, 2019
  2. Kreij Win User

Networking Speed Up

This is not correct. A switch is a layer 2 device (Datalink Layer) and uses Mac address lookup for packet switching. Routers are layer 3 devices (Network Layer). There are also Layer 3 switches that work similar to a router (at the Network Layer) but utilize switching hardware to accomplish the task making them faster than routers on Layer 3.

It is correct, however, that the switch is unaware of the IP, as it uses the MAC address in the frame header for its routing information to establish a dedicated, full-duplex link to the recipient MAC address.

Kreij, Jul 13, 2019
  3. Finding IP address

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to find printer’s IP address:

1. Type Devices and Printers in the Windows search bar.
    2. Select on the printer and click on
      Manage.
    3. Click on the Ports tab.
      You will be able to find printer’s IP address under the ‘Ports’ tab.

Few printers also have a “Test print” option on the printer. When you print a test page from network printer, the page shows the IP address along with other details.

Note: If it is set on DHCP mode the IP address will constantly change.
    The IP address is assigned automatically by your router using a protocol called DHCP.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jul 13, 2019
  4. LemP Win User

Does every network layer device changes the source IP address in a packet?

IP ADDRESS

This problem usually sorts itself out automatically, but see the following for some suggestions:

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/ip-address-already-in-use/

If you keep getting these notifications, chances are that some device on your network is configured to use a static IP address that is within the range of addresses allocated by your router's DHCP server.

If you need some help in sorting out a situation like this, please provide the following information:

• the make and specific model of your router
    • the make and specific model of every device connected to your network, including printers, TV set top boxes, Internet of Things (IoT) devices, etc.
    If you have many devices connected to your network, download and run Advanced IP scanner (Advanced IP Scanner - Download Free Network Scanner.). This will list all of your currently-connected
    network devices and show their IP addresses.

Thema:

Does every network layer device changes the source IP address in a packet?

1. Does every network layer device changes the source IP address in a packet? - Similar Threads - Does every network

2. How to change IP address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change IP address: I have reason to believe that hackers have changed my IP address. If I do change it will I need to make any other changes as far as internet connections etc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-ip-address/154b7011-d926-4f90-a3ac-82db529b1251
  3. change ip address

change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  4. change ip address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  5. change ip address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Any way to change a network scanner IP address?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to change a network scanner IP address?: I have a network scanner that has used the same static IP for about 4 years now, but the organization's IP addressing scheme has undergone some changes to include printers and scanners. I cannot find my scanner in the Printers and Scanners section of Control Panel but it...
  7. Suspicious incoming network connection blocked........................The source IP address...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspicious incoming network connection blocked........................The source IP address...: The wording in the Subject above is showing on my McAfee Internet Suite under Security History. McAfee says there are 150,000. Is this something I need to be worried about? If the answer is no, is this normal , or is there something I can do to correct this? Windows 10...
  8. Change IP4v IP Address

Change IP4v IP Address: I have a network camera with the default IP Address as 192.168.5.163. My PC runs Windows 10, 20H2 and is currently using DHCP. It is connected to a POE switch that gives my PC this IPv4 IP Address 192.168.0.26. How do I change it so that I can access the camera? Thanks....
  9. Why does an IP address keep changing?

Why does an IP address keep changing?: My printer IP address keeps changing. See attachment. The Port name is always 192.168.1.6 but the Printer IP keeps changing from .6 to .7 and I have to frequently reconfigure the port. Can I stop this from happening? 152517
  10. does every Router provided by ISP has a unique IP address (public IP address) allocated to...

does every Router provided by ISP has a unique IP address (public IP address) allocated to...: does every Router provided by ISP has a unique IP address (public IP address) allocated to ISP by IANA? Moreover, does each of these routers have NAT or PAT ability? if yes, who decides that one router has to perform PAT or NAT?...