Windows 10: Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?

Discus and support Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am considering using File History to backup some files and folders on my Win 10 computer. I have relentlessly, but unsuccessfully, searched for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by loyall, Oct 22, 2023.

1. loyall Win User

Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?

I am considering using File History to backup some files and folders on my Win 10 computer. I have relentlessly, but unsuccessfully, searched for information on the operation of File History. Can I copy and paste individual files and folders that were backed up on an external drive using File History wherever I want? In other words, does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort the backed up files so as to make them unusable any where else?

:)

loyall, Oct 22, 2023
  2. RejZoR Win User

Compress files??

It all depends on the contents. Back in the early days of DVD games, they had plenty of space compared to CD's. So they left stuff uncompressed on the DVD itself. Compressing such ISO image would result in very high compression ratio. But these days, even DVD discs are becoming small and game companies are already using data compression to fit more data on the same DVD. And since you cannot compress already compressed data, you're seeing more and more of the 99% compresion ratio moments.

Good examples of such scenarios is when you want to compres uncompressed WAV file and a MP3 file. WAV is not compressed and you can decrease its size significantly. You might gain few kilobytes when trying to compress already compressed MP3. The same is with images. You can compress BMP images rather well but when compressing JPG images, you won't really gain anything as its already compressed.

There are few very specialized algorithms that may gain some more compression out of already compressed data, but the gains are usually very small and usually not worth the extra compression time needed to perform the compression itself. Plus you can only use them to compress very specific data files.

RejZoR, Oct 22, 2023
  3. #Jon# Win User
    File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Oct 22, 2023
  4. Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?

Compress files??

using upx? to compress exe files
    but you need to make it executable zip first then do upx

micropage7, Oct 22, 2023
Thema:

Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?

1. Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files? - Similar Threads - Does File History

2. Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?: I am considering using File History to backup some files and folders on my Win 10 computer. I have relentlessly, but unsuccessfully, searched for information on the operation of File History. Can I copy and paste individual files and folders that were backed up on an external...
  3. Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does File History process, compress, or otherwise distort backed up files?: I am considering using File History to backup some files and folders on my Win 10 computer. I have relentlessly, but unsuccessfully, searched for information on the operation of File History. Can I copy and paste individual files and folders that were backed up on an external...
  4. Back up using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back up using File History: Hi thereI have a portable Samsung external hard drive attached to my computer which I use for backup purposes.However File History does not recognise it as a usable drive. When I click on 'add a drive' in Back Up it says 'no usable drives found'. How can I make it recognise...
  5. Back up files missing in File History

Back up files missing in File History: I need to restore all files from my back up drive. I can see them all sitting there, however when I go into File History to restore them, I cannot see them there, only a couple of folders with documents I have been working on in the past couple of days. Is there another...
  6. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  7. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  8. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de
  9. File history not backing up all files.

File history not backing up all files.: I just purchased a new SSD and reinstalled windows using the MS media creation tool. It installed the latest Windows 10 Pro 1809 I installed many apps and games. I decided to run File History as previous backups have failed miserably. I check my game folder in appdata...
  10. I cannot back up: "file history does not recognize this file"

I cannot back up: "file history does not recognize this file": In the advance settings, I have the following message: "file history does not recognize this file". Then I go to "select another drive" and select it again and get message "file history drive is disconnected". The drive is connected and works fine....