Windows 10: Does File History run while the computer is sleeping?

Discus and support Does File History run while the computer is sleeping? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; 20H2 .867 We put our computers to sleep after 1 hour of no use. Every Friday morning I look at the File History drive to make sure it's still working.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rboppy, Mar 19, 2021.

1. rboppy Win User

Does File History run while the computer is sleeping?

20H2 .867

We put our computers to sleep after 1 hour of no use. Every Friday morning I look at the File History drive to make sure it's still working. My wife gets into Quicken on a daily basis, so it's easy to see if her files are being backed up. This morning I looked and her Quicken folder was backed up at 3:34 a.m. I checked her computer it was asleep, and when awakened the time was correct.

Curious minds want to know.

:)

rboppy, Mar 19, 2021
  2. Pavan_N Win User

File history won't detect external HHD

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve your issue,

What is the make and model of your computer and hard drive?

Follow the Methods below and check if that helps.

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 2: I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the latest USB drivers from manufacturer's website.

Follow these steps to un-install the drivers:

• On the search bar type “ Device Manager
    • On the left pane locate “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” and expand by clicking on it.
    • Right on all the USB adapters and click “Uninstall’
    • Download the latest USB adapter setup file from the manufacturer’s website and install it.

Refer the Microsoft articles below and perform the steps suggested.

What if something goes wrong in File History?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/what-something-goes-wrong-file-history

Set up a drive for File History.

File History in Windows

Applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks

Pavan_N, Mar 19, 2021
  3. Shanester Win User
    File History not running

No, it is only listed once there.

You mean you fixed it? Please let me know if you can remember.

I might have to let sfc run overnight.

Shane.

Shanester, Mar 19, 2021
  4. Does File History run while the computer is sleeping?

Windows + Run history

Hoping to get some help. My issue:

When I access the run function (my preferred method is Windows Key + R) it does not remember any of the commands I enter in it. It does however, seem to pull history from other places. e.g.
    If I type winver to check my version/build, the next time I come back and type the first letter w, instead of winver being suggested I get a list of recently visited urls (all which start with w as www.). If I type the letter c a list of files/folders recently accessed on the c drive is displayed and so on.

It appears to be pulling the history from other histories and anything typed in the run dialog is not remembered. I've searched for possible answers but none of the suggested remedies I've looked at have had any effect. I've inserted a screencap of the above mentioned example.

TIA Phil

Does File History run while the computer is sleeping? [​IMG]

busdriver12, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

Does File History run while the computer is sleeping?

1. Does File History run while the computer is sleeping? - Similar Threads - Does File History

2. the computer does not go to sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the computer does not go to sleep.: The computer does not fully enter sleep mode. as soon as I press the sleep mode button, the monitors seem to turn off, but the cooler does not want to stop. However, for all the friends who also have windows 10, when they are put into sleep mode, their PC turns off....
  3. the computer does not go to sleep.

in Windows 10 Customization
    the computer does not go to sleep.: The computer does not fully enter sleep mode. as soon as I press the sleep mode button, the monitors seem to turn off, but the cooler does not want to stop. However, for all the friends who also have windows 10, when they are put into sleep mode, their PC turns off....
  4. computer does not go to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer does not go to sleep: my screen does not go black after set time, and the computer won't sleep either. if I don't shut down, it will stay on indefinitely. this problem surfaced only recently. until then, the screen would black out after 10-15 minutes, and the computer would go to sleep after an...
  5. Computer does not go to sleep. Continuously runs nonstop

Computer does not go to sleep. Continuously runs nonstop: Help! Computer does not go to sleep. Continuously runs nonstop. Sleep mode set at 10 minutes. Screen goes dark but not the Lenovo desktop....
  6. File History Does Not Work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Does Not Work: Hi, For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home 20H2 has stopped working. In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up". On clicking "Back...
  7. File History New Computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File History New Computer: I have a my files backed up to a NAS drive from my old computer using File History. I then tried to restore the latest backup to my new computer using Restore. The new PC recognized the correct drive on the NAS and Its started perfectly but did not complete. When I...
  8. Does mail run in sleep mode

Does mail run in sleep mode: So I have been having an internet issue at home and have connected my laptop to cellular hotspot but am worried that if I put my PC on sleep mode whether or not my emails will be sent in the background...
  9. File History not running

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History not running: [img] Greetings, I already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I see someone else has this problem. How do I get on again doesn't help. Settings shows the drive letter H: listing twice, which is weird. A tutorial says you can reset File History without losing data....
  10. On Windows 10 when does file history run?

in Windows 10 Support
    On Windows 10 when does file history run?: Hello, On Windows 10 when does file history run? I have file history turned on and I have "Save copies of files" set to daily. When does Windows determine that it is time to run? I know that it is daily but when? Looking at the backed up file, they appear to have made...