Windows 10: Does fixmbr work for GPT disks?

Discus and support Does fixmbr work for GPT disks? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Does bootrec /fixmbr work for GPT disks? If no, What is an alternative command? Thanks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dani_F1, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Dani_F1 Win User

Does fixmbr work for GPT disks?

Hello,

Does bootrec /fixmbr work for GPT disks? If no, What is an alternative command?

Thanks

:)

Dani_F1, Sep 15, 2019

2. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Sep 15, 2019
  3. OS on MBR, other disks GPT

Hi,

Problem

I don't see the Data Disks in the Windows Explorer

History: What I had before the problem occurred (worked fine)

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 4 Partitions / used as Windows Home Server OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk

What I actually have

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 2 Partitions / used as Windows 10 Pro OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    What I see in the Windows Disk Management

• Disk 0: Basic, Online

System Reserved, 500MB NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

(CDoes fixmbr work for GPT disks? :), 465 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    • Disk 1: Basic, Online

2048 GB, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 2: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 3: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 4: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    What I see in the Windows Explorer

• Local Disk (CDoes fixmbr work for GPT disks? :)
    What am I doing wrong?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

MarcWampfler, Sep 15, 2019
  4. Does fixmbr work for GPT disks?

Converting a MBR disk to a GPT disk

I would put Windows on Disk 2. There is plenty of space. If you want to start with a clean slate then you should do this:

• Disconnect disks 0 and 1.
    • Boot the machine with your installation medium.
    • Launch diskpart.
    • Select disk 0 (it was disk 2 before).
    • clean.
    • Reboot with your installation medium.
    • Install Windows.
    • When it runs nicely, connect the other disks and tell the BIOS which is the primary disk to boot from.
    Since disk 2 is only 232 GBytes you will not need UEFI / GPT. After Windows is installed you can convert the 3 TByte disk to GPT.

Frederik Long, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

Does fixmbr work for GPT disks?

1. Does fixmbr work for GPT disks? - Similar Threads - Does fixmbr GPT

2. GPT disks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT disks: Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and volumes. Windows showed the 4TB drive as being the full size so it had been converted. After windows installed both drives...
  3. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  4. Disk Cleanup does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Cleanup does not work: My diskcleanup is not working. It shows 159mb of Temp Internet files and 10.5gb of Windows Update. I select and click 'ok' to delete, but nothing happens. Restarting does nothing. I've seen countless posts with other people having the same problem and, so far, I have...
  5. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  6. disk cleanup does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    disk cleanup does not work: disk cleanup not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup-does-not-work/9ebff663-64b7-4d3d-ad73-a41c60b2e47b
  7. Hard Disk Converted to GPT format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Disk Converted to GPT format: I have DELL inspiron 5558 With windwos 8.1 and upgraded to windows 10. Recently i wanted windows 7 and for that i shrink my E drive and from DVD tried to install Windows 7 on that 50 GB unallocated space. But it was showing me that you cant install OS on Windows Cannot...
  8. Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10: It's funny that the mbr2gpt utility in version 1703 can convert an OS drive from mbr to gpt without data loss but cannot do it for a simple data partition - lol. I tried it but it failed as I expected 2017-05-31 08:52:07, Error ValidateLayout: Wrong boot partition...
  9. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: Oh good! Thanks so much, Kari. I feel like a kid opening my Erector Set - Wikipedia on Christmas morning. Played with that thing for hours. Automated scripting is the cat's meow. *Smile 95941
  10. Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10: Another option is to use mbr2gpt.exe, isn't it? 85750