Windows 10: Does fixmbr work for GPT disks?

Discus and support Does fixmbr work for GPT disks? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Does bootrec /fixmbr work for GPT disks? If no, What is an alternative command? Thanks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dani_F1, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Dani_F1 Win User

Does fixmbr work for GPT disks?

Hello,

Does bootrec /fixmbr work for GPT disks? If no, What is an alternative command?

Thanks

:)

Dani_F1, Sep 15, 2019

2. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Sep 15, 2019
  3. OS on MBR, other disks GPT

Hi,

Problem

I don't see the Data Disks in the Windows Explorer

History: What I had before the problem occurred (worked fine)

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 4 Partitions / used as Windows Home Server OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk

What I actually have

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 2 Partitions / used as Windows 10 Pro OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    What I see in the Windows Disk Management

• Disk 0: Basic, Online

System Reserved, 500MB NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

(CDoes fixmbr work for GPT disks? :), 465 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    • Disk 1: Basic, Online

2048 GB, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 2: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 3: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 4: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    What I see in the Windows Explorer

• Local Disk (CDoes fixmbr work for GPT disks? :)
    What am I doing wrong?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

MarcWampfler, Sep 15, 2019
  4. Does fixmbr work for GPT disks?

Converting a MBR disk to a GPT disk

I would put Windows on Disk 2. There is plenty of space. If you want to start with a clean slate then you should do this:

• Disconnect disks 0 and 1.
    • Boot the machine with your installation medium.
    • Launch diskpart.
    • Select disk 0 (it was disk 2 before).
    • clean.
    • Reboot with your installation medium.
    • Install Windows.
    • When it runs nicely, connect the other disks and tell the BIOS which is the primary disk to boot from.
    Since disk 2 is only 232 GBytes you will not need UEFI / GPT. After Windows is installed you can convert the 3 TByte disk to GPT.

Frederik Long, Sep 15, 2019
Thema:

Does fixmbr work for GPT disks?

1. Does fixmbr work for GPT disks? - Similar Threads - Does fixmbr GPT

2. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  3. If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is Use to Fix MBR Filesystems, What's the Parameter for GPT...: Hi Microsoft friends.If bootrec.exe /fixmbr is use to fix MBR filesystems, what's the parameter for GPT filesystems? is it /fixgpt?Also, which part of this article fixes the Windows Recovery wherein you can boot to Windows PE, right now when I hold Shift + Restart, it doesn't...
  4. windows 10 pc bootrec /fixmbr not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 pc bootrec /fixmbr not working: My windows 10 pc is not starting up, I have watched multiple videos on how to fix this problem, in command prompt all videos say to enter "bootrec /fixmbr" after this 1st command my pc responds with "the system cannot find the file specified" ? can anyone please help...
  5. windows 10 pc bootrec /fixmbr not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 pc bootrec /fixmbr not working: My windows 10 pc is not starting up, I have watched multiple videos on how to fix this problem, in command prompt all videos say to enter "bootrec /fixmbr" after this 1st command my pc responds with "the system cannot find the file specified" ? can anyone please help...
  6. windows 10 pc bootrec /fixmbr not working

7. convert disks to gpt help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    convert disks to gpt help: For context I have a 2tb hard drive and a 500mb ssd and im trying to upgrade to windows 11. So I'm trying to upgrade to windows 11 and I had to activate tpm Which I did with no issues and enable secure boot. After a little research I found I had to convert my drives to gpt,...
  8. convert disks to gpt help

convert disks to gpt help: For context I have a 2tb hard drive and a 500mb ssd and im trying to upgrade to windows 11. So I'm trying to upgrade to windows 11 and I had to activate tpm Which I did with no issues and enable secure boot. After a little research I found I had to convert my drives to gpt,...
  9. Dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data: Hi, how do i convert dynamic gpt disk to basic gpt disk without losing data? I know you can do it via disk management, but for me its greyed out. I have 4tb one and i think why its greyed out is bc it will try to convert it to basic mbr disk (which supports only up to 2tb)...
  10. GPT disks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT disks: Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and volumes. Windows showed the 4TB drive as being the full size so it had been converted. After windows installed both drives...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does bootrec work on gpt drives

2. does fixmbr work on gpt