Windows 10: Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software?

Discus and support Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Microsoft’s go -to for all the problems with updates changing the system files and causing conflicts seems to always be to reinstall Windows. Does an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JoshuaCaleb, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software?

Microsoft’s go -to for all the problems with updates changing the system files and causing conflicts seems to always be to reinstall Windows. Does an in place upgrade require a usb drive or bootable media? Does it delete installed software? I have received one -time manufacturer software and oem software. Nothing is with discs these days. I have been trying to get answers here and with Microsoft about events in event viewer that are clearly dll files and executable files related to windows that keep having errors. They should be able to be replaced or repaired. Please advise.

:)

JoshuaCaleb, Jul 2, 2022

2. Best media player software

What is the best media player software in two criteria:

• All-In-One
    • Video-Centric
    • Music-Centric
    Name your picks in both categories.

Thank you.

remixedcat, Jul 2, 2022
  3. Try3 Win User
    Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

Benjamin,

0 Can we take that as a new starting point then?

1 Your ISO is Version 21H1 and you downloaded it using TechBench WZT [Option 5 of Download Windows 10 ISO File - TenForumsTutorials]?

2 If you double-click on it, it 'mounts' as a virtual DVD drive?

Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software? [​IMG]

3 Have you tested the ISO file structure's integrity?
    - Copy the …\sources\install.wim or …\sources\install.esd file somewhere else [anywhere else that's big enough & for which you have access].

Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software? [​IMG]

- If there is a copy error [… cannot find file …] then the file has been corrupted during download.
    - You can delete the copy afterwards. It was only a by-product of the test.

4 If you are logged in to an Admin account and you double-click on its setup.exe, you get the responses stated in Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - TenForumsTutorials [Steps 1,2,3,4,7+]?
    - There is nothing documented to suggest that using the Built-in admin for a Repair install will cause problems but it should not be used for the job because failures would be impossible to diagnose.
    - In any response about problems, please be specific about steps done successfully & steps producing errors or we'll be here all day.

Denis

I think we should stop bothering every other user of this rather major thread with every detail of attempted progress. If you agree then, in your next post, include
    @Brink - Please move posts #1273 onwards into a new thread called something like Repair install not proceeding normally

Try3, Jul 2, 2022
  4. Try3 Win User

Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software?

Repair install/in-place upgrade not proceeding normally

Benjamin,

I have just run a Repair install myself to make sure nothing has changed recently. I used my 21H1 ISO.

The Step 7 tutorial diagrams are correct.
    - After clicking on setup, the 'ConsentUI' [aka Admin prompt] appears.
    - Then the preparing dialog appears. It is a small one about 3 inches by 1 inch.

- Then the big Install Windows 10 dialog appears. It covers about half the screen.

I do not know what to suggest any more. I am out of ideas.

Denis

Try3, Jul 2, 2022
Thema:

Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software?

1. Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software? - Similar Threads - Does place upgrade

2. In place upgrade does not have English UK

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In place upgrade does not have English UK: I want to do an In place upgrade for windows 11 but when I try to select the language English UK is not listed. All that is listed is English US and International listed....
  3. In place upgrade does not have English UK

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In place upgrade does not have English UK: I want to do an In place upgrade for windows 11 but when I try to select the language English UK is not listed. All that is listed is English US and International listed....
  4. Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software?: Microsoft’s go -to for all the problems with updates changing the system files and causing conflicts seems to always be to reinstall Windows. Does an in place upgrade require a usb drive or bootable media? Does it delete installed software? I have received one -time...
  5. Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does in-place upgrade need external media? Does it delete any installed software?: Microsoft’s go -to for all the problems with updates changing the system files and causing conflicts seems to always be to reinstall Windows. Does an in place upgrade require a usb drive or bootable media? Does it delete installed software? I have received one -time...
  6. Does installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now will delete all...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does installing the Media Creation Tool and choosing from it to Upgrade Now will delete all...: I don't want to lose my personal files and apps installed .Whatever it deletes? Sometimes my PC does not sleep or hibernate. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-installing-the-media-creation-tool-and/4cbded97-96f6-43e1-b990-9f777bb1199b
  7. Does Windows 10 delete any files during the installation?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Windows 10 delete any files during the installation?: I'm planning a clean installation but have no space to backup all the files. The plan is to connect the hard drive to a different computer, move all the files to one folder called BACKUP, erase everything else (Windows folder, Program Files, etc.), connect it back to the...
  8. Toshiba external HDD Backup Software does not run

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Toshiba external HDD Backup Software does not run: Recently bought a Toshiba Canvio Advance, installed the Security Software which formatted the HDD as expected. Afterwards I installed the Backup Software, however when I run it, after selecting the HDD, the Backup program disappears, not allowing to select the Backup features...
  9. does the media tool allow upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    does the media tool allow upgrade: The media tool will do a fresh install of windows 10. But if someone only wants to upgrade windows 7 to windows 10, does it do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-the-media-tool-allow-upgrade/d132c67d-c641-4991-932b-bdbe4aff504a
  10. Does Windows 10 Need Antivirus Software?

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Does Windows 10 Need Antivirus Software?: A matter of some debate is whether or not you actually need a third party antivirus program for Windows 10. This is because Windows 10 comes with its own Windows Defender antivirus software. The question is whether or not it’s enough for protecting your computer. The short...